mtbr member
    Jun 2004

New question here. carbon shoes and eggbeaters

For 3 years now I have been running eggbeaters with Shimano carbon soled shoes. The retaining bars on the pedals (wings) have made some considerable gouges in the shoe soles but nothing more. Some of my friends switched to a different pedal system from fear of breaking their fancy carbon shoes. I have never heard of this hapenning. Have you? What shoes were they?

I just purchased a new pair of carbon shoes from Adidas to replace the shimanos and I noticed that the carbon plate is thinner in the cleat area than on the Shimanos. Should I be concerned about using them with eggbeaters?

banned
    any comments on the adistar shoes? how do you like them?

Baron of Gray Matter
    May 2004
    I'm using a pair of nike carbon sole shoes that are thinner than the shimano soles and have had no problems using them with the egg beaters.
    "Oh Dear, I've been redorkulated."
    Prof. Frink.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    when the egg beater pedal is clipped into the force of the pedel locking on to your cleat is much more than any other pedel. It is that force that wear shoe soles so much. I wouldnt be concerned about carbon shoes but i would keep an eye on them. If you have money to buy two pairs then you have enough to replace another after awhile.

Giant Anthem Rider

Use a cleat plate

[QUOTE=Murti]For 3 years now I have been running eggbeaters with Shimano carbon soled shoes...]

I'm on my second pair of carbon soled shoes. I had the Shimano M220's. Now I have the M225. After putting deep gouges in the old shoes with my Eggs I use thin metal plates that come with some spd cleats. These plates are thin metal shaped like the slot openings of the soles of your shoes (number 8 on its side). I mounted these plates between my Egg cleats and the shoe carbon sole. It the same idea as using the plastic plates that come with Crank Bros pedal kits but these are metal and bigger. Now when I clip in the Egg's bars hit the metal. It works great! It also fixes the clip-in problem that some people have with the Candy pedals because it extends the cleat slightly.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jaco
    any comments on the adistar shoes? how do you like them?
    I have only walked around in them so far but I can tell you that the upper is very soft and comfortable. They feel as comfy as a good running shoe and have subdued good looks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    [QUOTE=Mtbric]
    Quote Originally Posted by Murti
    For 3 years now I have been running eggbeaters with Shimano carbon soled shoes...]

I'm on my second pair of carbon soled shoes. I had the Shimano M220's. Now I have the M225. After putting deep gouges in the old shoes with my Eggs I use thin metal plates that come with some spd cleats. These plates are thin metal shaped like the slot openings of the soles of your shoes (number 8 on its side). I mounted these plates between my Egg cleats and the shoe carbon sole. It the same idea as using the plastic plates that come with Crank Bros pedal kits but these are metal and bigger. Now when I clip in the Egg's bars hit the metal. It works great! It also fixes the clip-in problem that some people have with the Candy pedals because it extends the cleat slightly.
    I had tried that a year ago but the cleat plate didn't last. It got chewed up by the pedals and fell apart after two rides. Maybe there are thicker plates out there but I haven't seen any in my shop drawers. I'll dig around a little more for a stronger plate. Thanks!

banned
    i have shimanos and im very happy with them althouth theyre getting ready for a replacement. im trying to decide between the adistars and the 225s, the first being $30+. no reviews on the adistar yet though and i have to buy without trying since thyre not sold in these parts

used to be uno-speedo....
    Kind of relevant, I had been using the candy pedals with Specialized shoes for a few years, no problems. Upgraded my shoes to the pimp silver Shimano shoes and the fit with the candies was terrible. Even when using a shim.

So I bought some matching Shimano pedals and the combination is a dream.