Professional Bad Ass
    Feb 2007

Camelbak Charge durability

I'm looking to replace an old worn out Mule and I like the Charge's graphics better, but I'm a little concerned about the durability of the lightweight fabric used. I occasionally use the top load straps on my Mule to carry a full face helmet by strapping them over the chin guard, and I'd like to know whether the Charge can hold up to such use. Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of the durability?

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dthomp325 View Post
    I'm looking to replace an old worn out Mule and I like the Charge's graphics better, but I'm a little concerned about the durability of the lightweight fabric used. I occasionally use the top load straps on my Mule to carry a full face helmet by strapping them over the chin guard, and I'd like to know whether the Charge can hold up to such use. Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of the durability?
    I used one pretty hard for a full season...loved the pack but it is not the most durable thing out there. You do pay a price for that light weight. But it was more of an 'ugly up' than wear out except for a zipper pull that came off.

Check out the 2013 MULE NV with the new back panel. I think the xtra support would do better for carrying like you are.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    The lightweight cordura that it's made of is some pretty strong stuff. My pack is made of the same fabric, and it's taken a slide down the hillside, being thrown onto the ground, getting whipped with branches, et al, with no ill effects, other than some abrasion and UV damage (not unexpected, hey? Pick up some UV protectant).

Surely, you can go with a heavier material, and it will be even more abrasion resistant, but as mtroy said, it'll be heavier.