mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Camcorder For Helmet Cam??

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but what are you guys using for a camcorder for the viosport helmet cam. I recently got the number three viosport cam with this sony ex thing. Should I go with a sony camcorder, it seems obvious. But what do you other helmet cammers use for taping??

mtbr dismember

Probably doesn't matter much

Remember the old saying about a chain being only as strong as the weakest link? In this case the lipstick cam video quality will be the weakest link. So a really expensive video camera will be wasted, unless you plan to use it for other things. Just make sure you have the proper AV inputs and go with miniDV.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr

I am getting sooo..

tired of lipstick cams being the weakest link. True I guess. But manufacturers aren't doing enough to help consumers mount their cameras to their helmets---unless you have an EXPENSIVE camera.

Ive tried to contact at least 3 of the so called manufacturers of enclosures that allows the camcorder to be mounted to the helmet. NOT ONE OF THE EMAILS was replied to. I guess a Canon Elura 65 miniDV camcorder isn't expensive enough of a cam or in the right form factor or something for these people to bother manufacturing an enclosure for.
    And the enclosures aren't cheap--200 bucks and up.

So you'd think they would at lesat have the courtesy to return an email. For me the best option seems to be a lipstick cam. Think I'll buy from helmetcamera.com

And to the original poster--buy a smallish miniDV like WW suggests. It needn't be that expensive--I think my Elura was 400 or less on sale at the PX. It's even a ws model--although ws mode I'm pretty certain will not work when hooked up to a lipstick cam.

[QUOTE=Wherewolf]Remember the old saying about a chain being only as strong as the weakest link? In this case the lipstick cam video quality will be the weakest link.QUOTE]