Flow like water

Bushwhacking Gear?

There is a power line right-of-way near my house. It is bush-hogged once a year or so. It is covered with waist-high vegetation including thorn bushes. I'd like to ride this area. It would mean following deer trails (and widening them by riding on them). I will not be clearing trails or cutting back brush. Riding in shorts will get me some seriously scratched-up legs.

I'd like to have some leg protection that is not too hot, will not slip off, and which will deflect most of the branches I will be riding through. Add to that the desire to get this on the cheap, and easy to put on. So, cheap, convenient, effective thorn protection for the legs. Easy, right?

Ideas?
    Last edited by DavyRay; 11-06-2012 at 06:57 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Carhart work pants.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DavyRay View Post
    There is a power line right-of-way near my house. It is bush-hogged once a year or so. It is covered with waist-high vegetation including thorn bushes. I'd like to ride this area. It would mean following deer trails (and widening them by riding on them). I will not be clearing trails or cutting back brush. Riding in shorts will get me some seriously scratched-up legs.

I'd like to have some leg protection that is not too hot, will not slip off, and which will deflect most of the branches I will be riding through. Add to that the desire to get this on the cheap, and easy to put on. So, cheap, convenient, effective thorn protection for the legs. Easy, right?

Ideas?
    "IF" your really talking about thorns and such. You'll be wanting some snake bite gaitors / chaps or similar product.

The Construction Safety Products for the Forestry Industry will have some pretty good ideas for ya

Snake Chaps, Snake Leggings, Snake Gaiters and other Snake Protection Items at CSPForestry.com

good luck with your project.

gnewcomer aka OldMtnGoat

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Look at upland bird hunting chaps. Don't think they would be much fun to ride in though...
    Ben - Clydesdale - Type II Diabetic - 6'7", ~278lbs in 09/2011 - A1C 9.4%, ~228lbs in 07/2012 - A1C 5.6%, ~240lbs in 05/2013