mtbr member

Bug Spray Destories Bike Gear/Clothing?

Looking for a bug spray I can use that won't destroy my bike clothing. I read the bottles of most bug sprays and they say "use only on cotton, wool, or nylon." The can then says "DON'T use on spandex, rubber, [etc.]...."

I've seen helmets "melt" from bug spray.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I can tell you from my experience with climbing and ropes that "DEET" which is the active ingredient that really works best for repellant (probably repels your health too) will break down nylon. Obviously its a real no-no for climbing ropes slings etc. Some repellants do not contain DEET. I cant speak for how well they will work or what else is in them but DEET and Nylon dont mix!

DJ

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Yeah DEET and nylon based plastics make everything melt into goo.

I use that Avon Skinsosoft crap. Smells like a citronella candle and is way more natural/healthy than DEET based products. Not as effective but that just means I have to pedal faster than the bugs!

mtbr member
    Going camping this weekend, so need stuff to work in camp and on the trail. Thanks for the advice so far.

mtbr member
    There is a small but growing selection of bug repellents that don't have deet. Many of them are labeled as "organic" or something similar, but the key is they don't have deet. I have tried one that worked decent, but I don't remember what it was.

I don't think a slightly weaker bug spray would be a problem on the trail if you are moving. Maybe when you get to camp you can use other products to keep the bugs away, such as citronella candles, etc

Front Range, Colorado
    QVC sells a clip on bug repellent that apparently works great. Just clip it on your shirt and off you go, and it doesn't have DEET.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Take a look at "OFF Clean Feel"

Quote Originally Posted by CU-Murph
    Looking for a bug spray I can use that won't destroy my bike clothing. I read the bottles of most bug sprays and they say "use only on cotton, wool, or nylon." The can then says "DON'T use on spandex, rubber, [etc.]...."

I've seen helmets "melt" from bug spray.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    It claims not to melt watch crystals, nylon, etc. It seems to work as advertised, but I am still afraid to spray it on lycra. I spray it on my skin and let it dry before putting on lycra and it hasn't caused a problem, even if I sweat. It causes me to have a bad coughing spell if I inhale any while applying.

Nat
    Solo contendre

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    Thanks. But need stuff that will repel ticks, too. They are BAD down here. Guess I just have to move faster.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    i just returned from the boundary waters in minnesota and tried the pacaidin cutter stuff..... no good... i would put it on and in 15 minutes have swarms covering me. i would blast the 100% deet and it would last 2 hours.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Guess I just have to move faster.
    Or shave off all your hair...I mean ALL of it.

rbtm member
    Jan 2004
    Buy some wool cycling clothing .

My experience has been that using anything other than deet is basically no different than using nothing.
    [SIZE=1]"The mouth of justice contemplates wisdom."[/SIZE]

viva la v-brakes!
    Thanks. But need stuff that will repel ticks, too. They are BAD down here. Guess I just have to move faster.
    Yeah, seriously, just keep moving. I don't see much need for bug spray on a bike. I suppose if you have problems with the tiny deer ticks though. If you must have it on for ticks, just use it on your socks, not your bare skin.... maybe get some taller socks.

In my experience the "hippy" brands of bug spray have little to no effect. The picaridin works, but only for a limited amount of time, an hour or so. Still, better then risking cancer and nerve damage.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    Or shave off all your hair...I mean ALL of it.
    Please tell me you're not going to be doing a FULL inspection?

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE,
    Please tell me you're not going to be doing a FULL inspection?
    I was trying to think of something clever to say, having to do with rolling him in flour and looking, but in the end I find I have no good rebutthole.

pedal pusher
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE,
    QVC sells a clip on bug repellent that apparently works great. Just clip it on your shirt and off you go, and it doesn't have DEET.
    I think that's one of those tiny electronic things that emits a high-frequency sound that's supposed to be inaudible to humans. I bought a couple locally a few years ago and I could very much hear the f'ers.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by f3rg
    I think that's one of those tiny electronic things that emits a high-frequency sound that's supposed to be inaudible to humans. I bought a couple locally a few years ago and I could very much hear the f'ers.
    Back-in-the-day I bought via mail order a high-frequency sonic insect repellent device. I was working on a survey crew and our job was in big, irrigated pasture. There were a trillion mosquitoes, but because I had my sweet new device I abstained from the requisite whole-body dose of Cutter's. I proudly showed off my gizmo to the other surveyors, turned the switch to "on," and hopped out of the survey truck. Within about four seconds I was covered from top to bottom and about a hundred of those little f***ers bit me all at the same time.

Front Range, Colorado
    Bug Spray Destories Bike Gear/Clothing?

I can think of much more challenging ways to destroy a bike, but if this works more power to ya.