mtbr member

Budget shoes for platforms?

I've been riding clipless for over 20 years and about to experiment with platforms. I have some VP Components pedals on the way, but not sure yet what to do about shoes...

I do prefer stiffer soles than classic Vans (which I have no shortage of) but I'm not ready to shell out $100+ for Five Tens or Tevas just for an experiment; pedals are easy to sell, but shoes, no so much. Like anything though, I'm sure there some alternative options that won't break the bank and will allow me to see if it's a direction I want to go...

I'd also like something a little less bulky than the usual 5.10 offering.

What have you tried that worked and that didn't?
    Last edited by gotdurt; 10-30-2013 at 06:14 PM.
    'T'is only a flesh wound...
    Some videos

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    You might try the 661 filter, and just leave the cleat cutout in place (its the same rubbery sole material). you can find them online usually for about 50 bucks, but they fall apart pretty quickly; mine lasted about 2 years with flats. i've since switched to the teva filter, but its at a higher price point (fyi, i used SPDs for 17 years before switching to flats)
    94 Specialized Rockhopper

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    You can find five tens for half off on chainlove and similar sites. They really are the way to go in my opinion to get a true idea of platforms. I just bought some freerider vxi and love them.

Why the want to switch it up?

mtbr member
    Hmm, looks like they've gone up, plus it appears they may no longer be available in the US; Chain Reaction is the only US loc I found (and they claim to only have 2 left), the rest are in the UK.
    Some videos

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trevor_b View Post
    You can find five tens for half off on chainlove and similar sites. They really are the way to go in my opinion to get a true idea of platforms. I just bought some freerider vxi and love them.
    I'll dig for them a little more and see what I find. I have found them on sale, but mostly in the $80 range, which doesn't help much, the other problem is that I wear the most popular size (10), so when shoes go on sale, it seems that's always the size they don't have, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by trevor_b View Post
    Why the want to switch it up?
    Mostly to try something different, really. What served as platforms back when I started ('88) really sucked, so the switch to clipless was a no-brainer. Platforms have evolved a bit since, plus good full suspension does a good job of keep feet from bouncing on the pedals now, compared to the past (I'll continue using clipless on my hardtail). Plus as I get older, I find that I still want to ride aggressive, but I also no longer like to take risks on hi-consequence sections like I used to clipped in.
    Some videos

mtbr member
    Got the pedals and tried some Vans; way too soft/flexy. Went ahead and ordered some 5.10 Freeriders for $70, hope I like them... meanwhile I got antsy and headed for a trail with some old Vasque Borneos I have; they have really stiff soles for rocky trail running, but aggressive knobby tread, so I was worried about their grip... I was actually surprised that they work pretty darned well.
    Some videos

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Jenson has the Teva Pinners on sale for $45 (sizes 9.5-13). I had the same concerns as you (OP) when I switched to platforms and went with the Pinners. I have not been disappointed, but don't have any experience with other shoes to compare them against.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I wear Addidas Samba Classics. These are indoor soccer shoes and they work pretty good. As a caveat... I'm a newb.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by pacer105 View Post
    I wear Addidas Samba Classics. These are indoor soccer shoes and they work pretty good. As a caveat... I'm a newb.
    I actually like the grip I get with leather Sambas as long as I'm not doing too much techy downhill. For $60 bucks, they're pretty decent. But good pedals with the right length pins seem to work with most sneakers with flatter soles. I agree with the comments about 5-10's being a bit chunky on the sole, but after a handful of rides, I don't even notice it anymore.

mtbr member
    5.10 Freeriders came in today... honestly, I'm a little disappointed thus far, although I've only ridden in the street in front of my house. Soles are definitely stiffer than my Vans, but the Vans seem to have a slight edge on grip/traction... So far my old Vasque Borneos seem better on both accounts though, with a little bonus ankle support. I guess I shouldn't judge until I've had the Freeriders on the trail though.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk
    Last edited by gotdurt; 11-12-2013 at 08:45 PM.
    Some videos

mtbr member

Give them a few rides to break in, they get stickier.
    2013 Pivot Mach 5.7 Custom Build
    2014 Salsa Mukluk 2 Custom Build
    2014 Foes FXR275 Custom Build in process....

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I've noticed mine get stickier with each ride (I have the vxi version). They tend to grip so well that when I try to move my foot slightly it's tough to place my foot in the spot I wanted to (at least over rocky terrain).

mtbr member

I love my Freeriders. Before them I was using regular skate shoes and they were awful.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by desertred View Post
    Jenson has the Teva Pinners on sale for $45 (sizes 9.5-13). I had the same concerns as you (OP) when I switched to platforms and went with the Pinners. I have not been disappointed, but don't have any experience with other shoes to compare them against.

Thanks for posting this. Seems like a good value and they have decent reviews. I ordered some a few days ago. I really wanted the 510's but like many here I am on a budget. I figured they are worth a shot.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    This is one of those cases where full price for Freeriders is still the best bargain.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by bjorn240 View Post
    This is one of those cases where full price for Freeriders is still the best bargain.
    Sometimes you can catch them on sale for $70-$80.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gouda Cheez View Post
    Sometimes you can catch them on sale for $70-$80.
    Someone might be able to get my new ones for less than that :/

Got a good ride in yesterday on a nice, techy trail and my concerns were confirmed; much stiffer than Vans, but still to much flex at the arch for me, and they don't grip as much as I'd like; my old Vasque's actually work better in both respects. I'll give them a couple more trys and see if I can come up with a rigid insert or something before I pass them along.
    Some videos

mtbr member

Freeriders... Cheap and sticky. And currently on sale at backcountry.com.

Rode pinners for a year before picking up freeriders. Very happy with the switch. Similar feel to both, but the fit is better on my weird feet and the grip is much better. Both shoes feel better on larger platforms, due to relatively soft soles.