mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Boxer too tight = tired legs??

Maybe it is just in my head but I have a pair of padded "compression style" boxer shorts. They have rubber at the bottom so they don't ride up. I didn't get the larges because they felt like the bottoms might ride up. The mediums bottoms don't ride up BUT they are a bit tight.

I noticed that when I use them, my legs get tired out really quickly (lactate build up feeling). I was thinking that since they were tight on my legs, they may restrict blood circulation and cause my legs to tire.

Is this possible?

Anyone else experience this?

mtbr member
    I have no experience with that, but don't compression shorts/socks actually have the opposite effect? (I thought the whole idea behind compression is that it helps prevent similar lactic build up.

I know you're not wearing compression shorts, but it sounds like your chamois is acting like them.
    ​mountain biking is fun.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by docter_zab View Post
    I have no experience with that, but don't compression shorts/socks actually have the opposite effect? (I thought the whole idea behind compression is that it helps prevent similar lactic build up.

I know you're not wearing compression shorts, but it sounds like your chamois is acting like them.
    i would say uniform/consistent compression across a muscle/area is preferred.

I could see what the OP is describing being an issue but I would say it would have to be pretty freakin tight (like a tourniquet) to cause a real problem?

I would definitely do something different if you are experiencing discomfort

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by docter_zab View Post

I thought the same thing but I guess not in my case.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Maybe it's just you. I'm pretty sure those boxers can't be tight enough to restrict blood circulation. A simple pair of boxers can't really apply that much pressure on your legs to stop the blood. Maybe it's just a thought of yours and the idea got stuck in your head and now every time you ride you think you're getting tired because of your boxers.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I notice the same effect, one pair of baggies/undershorts fits well everywhere except the rubber strip at the bottom of the leg. It's not painfully tight but definitely notice a line there and on long rides I find it makes a difference compared to other shorts

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Did u say lactate?!!! Lol