mtbr member

Booties vs waterproof socks for AM mtb'ing

This probably has been discussed before, so apoligize for repeat. Just curious what year-round trail riders in inclement weather prefer. I don't wear tights when riding, typically long shorts or 3/4 length in fall/winter/spring with wide Shimano AM-45 shoes w/cleats. I ride in pacific NW that typically involves stream crossings and riding on wet terrain whether it is raining or not. For past couple of years I have been using the long/knee high SealSkinz waterproof socks in shoes with fairly good success. My only quiver is that they are a bit bulky to wear and pack along just in case and will fill full of water by end of wet ride and don't really breath at all (stink). Good thing, they usually still keep the feet warm like a wetsuit does vs if I were to wear regular or wool socks for that matter. I am considering something to replace these and options if not getting fully waterproof shoe (don't like the shoe options out there as I usually do hike-a-bike on steep terrain and hate walking in XC style ratchet shoes), so the options I am considering now are the Gore-Tex socks or booties. I have a GT jacket that I am pretty happy with and naturally want to try the socks, but are fairly expensive for socks ($55) and don't look like they are meant to be used with shorts due to minimal cuff height and I found them to bunch down at my ankle when trying them on at LBS and walking around in shoes even with corrective, tightest size I could fit on feet. The bootie options look alright and can be had for much less (Sugoi Resistors only $25 on closeout), but once again look ideal to be worn with tights due to low cuff at ankle, thus concern for water seeping in from the top and making them useless. Also concerned with booties due to no coverage on bottom for water splashing up and stream crossings and they don't seem to be optimal for wider, AM-style skater shoe. So, any recommendations based on this or anything else that works good for people? I usually don't mind my riding shoes getting wet since I have 3 pairs I can swap between while the other ones dry, just want the feet to stay warm and somewhat dry to match everything else (body, hands, head, legs) that I have good gear for staying cozy during wet and cool conditions.

Thanks for any feedback.
    JG
    Ride On!

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Up in Seattle, jgusta, so I share your pain! I've been using Gore-tex oversocks from Rocky for a lotta years and it's one of the best investments I've made in my ride gear. I usually wear 510s, but they work fine with my sidis as well. They're an extra layer of warmth and I've always gotten at least 3-4 seasons out of them.

Definitely worth going to REI and trying them on, though. They don't stretch much so you need to make sure the fit is good. And they also take some getting used to with the extra layer in your shoes; but I don't even notice them anymore.

Putting them back on again, tonight, unfortunately, now that the rain's started...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeePhroh View Post
    Up in Seattle, jgusta, so I share your pain! I've been using Gore-tex oversocks from Rocky for a lotta years and it's one of the best investments I've made in my ride gear. I usually wear 510s, but they work fine with my sidis as well. They're an extra layer of warmth and I've always gotten at least 3-4 seasons out of them.

Definitely worth going to REI and trying them on, though. They don't stretch much so you need to make sure the fit is good. And they also take some getting used to with the extra layer in your shoes; but I don't even notice them anymore.

Putting them back on again, tonight, unfortunately, now that the rain's started...
    Thanks GeePhroh, but unfortunately no one makes these any more, the Rocky version at least, only the just above the ankle high Gore Bike Wear ones and REI only has these Seirus Hyperlite Supersocks that look to be best suited for hiking boots or kayaking and apparently the cuffs come loose and let a lot of water to seep in from top. Too bad I can't find some of those Rocky Gore-Tex socks, sounds perfect with longer length to stay up on the leg and not let water in. I'll research again and see what I can find. Thanks for the feedback.
    Ride On!

Jan 2004
    You scared me 'cause I was actually thinking about buying a replacement pair. I did some searching online and found the 11" model at Campmor and the 13" on closeout for $37 at Rockyboots.com (only in 5, 7, 9 and 10, though).

Grab them while you can!

pin it
    I love my Rocky goretex socks

Excellent product. The gortex over-socks are good in all seasons, especially for outdoor winter activities, or those wet spring days when you're eager to get outside again.

The price is reasonable since you can pay over $100 for gortex shoes that will leak after about a year. Don't believe that there will ever be a waterproof shoe unless you wear rubber boots

These waterproof socks do what is promised. The reason I would give them 4-star as opposed to 5-star overall is that it takes some work to get the socks on and off.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Light Weight Waders - Rain gear

I've thought about these for stream crossings but they look huge and weight 8.9 oz. (a lot more than a sock). The problem with waterproof shoes is they don't drain well, so if water comes in over the top of the shoe it stays there. I'm worried socks would be the same way. But I live in the SW, usually dry conditions so I'm thinking only about stream crossings.

Sometimes I'd rather take my shoes off and cross the stream barefoot then have to ride in wet shoes afterwards.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    I love my Rocky goretex socks

Excellent product. The gortex over-socks are good in all seasons, especially for outdoor winter activities, or those wet spring days when you're eager to get outside again.

The price is reasonable since you can pay over $100 for gortex shoes that will leak after about a year. Don't believe that there will ever be a waterproof shoe unless you wear rubber boots

These waterproof socks do what is promised. The reason I would give them 4-star as opposed to 5-star overall is that it takes some work to get the socks on and off.
    Thanks. Did you have to size up with yours? I am a 10.5 and the 13" are only in size 10 on closeout. Should I go size 11 at very least or think I can get away with size 10? Also, do you like the 11" or 13" ones?

Thanks again!
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeePhroh View Post
    You scared me 'cause I was actually thinking about buying a replacement pair. I did some searching online and found the 11" model at Campmor and the 13" on closeout for $37 at Rockyboots.com (only in 5, 7, 9 and 10, though).

Grab them while you can!
    Thanks and great info! I must of misinterpreted that Rocky doesn't make them anymore, rather than REI just doesn't carry them anymore for whatever reason.

What size shoe do you wear and did you have to go up a size or two to fit properly? Also do you like the 11" or 13" ones? I believe my SealSkinz are 13" and a bit high to top of calf, but stay in place and no water to seep in from the top, especially when used with my G-Form knee pads, but can get a little warm due to no skin exposure or breathability. Can't decide whether to get the 11" or 13" ones?
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Just found a discount code for Rocky 20% off !! ROCKY20

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RipRoar View Post
    Just found a discount code for Rocky 20% off !! ROCKY20
    Radness, thanks! I was able to find them for $42.95 with free shipping myself in all sizes and lengths.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Any preference with the 11" length vs the 13" ones? Which ones are you using and did you have to go up at least a size or two to fit right? I plan to use a relatively thin liner sock underneath, have small'ish ankles and am a size 10.5 in shoes. Not sure whether to get size 11 or 12 due to a lot of people having to go up two sizes from normal to make them fit properly.

Thanks,
    JG
    Ride On!

Jan 2004
    First, thanks for the heads-up on availability at REI, jgusta! Forced me to look around and find a better price. I don't know why REI would stop carrying them...

Quote Originally Posted by jgusta View Post
    Any preference with the 11" length vs the 13" ones? Which ones are you using and did you have to go up at least a size or two to fit right? I plan to use a relatively thin liner sock underneath, have small'ish ankles and am a size 10.5 in shoes. Not sure whether to get size 11 or 12 due to a lot of people having to go up two sizes from normal to make them fit properly.
    I'm only a half size up myself (8.5 shoes, 9 rocky), but I've also got a buddy who had to go a full size up. It's pretty easy to adjust for the difference with whatever sock you're wearing under them, though, so going a little big would probably be OK. Obviously, too big is bad since they'll bunch up; but too small and you'll poke a hole through the big toe. Once that happens, they're done!

I've got 11" right now and haven't tried the 13" -- doesn't seem like it would make a huge difference; but maybe if you had mega-calves...?

One comment on the issue of getting water inside: it's happened to me before fording creeks and it's really not that bad. Usually, your body heat warms it up and it turns into a thermal layer. Like peeing in a wetsuit...

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I use Gore's socks for commuting and MTB. They work awesome, except for water coming in from the top in heavy rain.

I have ordered dry suit ankle cuffs, to wear upside down over the top of the socks. In reality that's how they should be made... With a rubber cuff at the top.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NS-NV View Post
    I use Gore's socks for commuting and MTB. They work awesome, except for water coming in from the top in heavy rain.

I have ordered dry suit ankle cuffs, to wear upside down over the top of the socks. In reality that's how they should be made... With a rubber cuff at the top.
    Thanks for the feedback on the Gore socks. I ride mt. in heavy rain at times (on rock based, mudless trails) and afraid the Gore socks would just let in too much water. Ordered me some high length (13") Rocky Gore-Tex socks for $43 that should ride a little higher than the bottom of my waterproof long shorts, but on backorder at the moment..ughh.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I use Sealskinz, yes they are bulky but they work. When I winter ride in the Lakes UK its cold and VERY wet (well wet in summer also ) so I wear long winter bike tights over the socks especially when the temps are sub Zero C.. this prevents water getting down the tops.. been in horrendous weather .. fording streams and never get wet feet, your boots fill with water but your feet stay dry. Any boot will water fill so IMO high socks with the tops covered are the best barrier.

I've had my boots frozen on a couple of occasions on winter night rides and my feet were fine.

Waterproof boots fill with water and because they are sealed they don't drain.. that's no fun.

For the road I've got some Assos Fuguspeer socks that are very very thin vs how warm they are .. just washed them today by hand and they do hold water but not sure i'd wear them for MTB as not sure how they would hold up to crossing deep streams. Weird socks but they surprisingly do work.. rode them the other morning a ~0-5 Deg C and my feet were comfortable
    in light road shoes with no covers... below 0 C then i'd definitely wear my sealskins or a bootie cover though

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Has anybody tired Seirus Hyperlite Stormsocks from REI?

I ride flats and I need something for winter riding and stream crossing.

Thanks
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper EVO HT 29er