mtbr member
    Feb 2008

bontrager race short/liner alternatives?

I've been mtb-ing in Bontrager Race Shorts (2XL) for over a year now and I've basically put all of my other mtb shorts in storage. This liner short appears to be discontinued but I may have found a few pairs still for sale online.

I mtb-ed last night in some Endura liner shorts (XL). Not sure if they even make the particular model anymore b/c I bought them 4 years ago. They were a good value though. I think they may have been $35-$45 and they're good all around liner shorts but not the same level of quality/cushioning as the Bontrager race shorts.

Given this background, are there any particular liner shorts that you would recommend I should look at right now? I'm sure some liners have been discontinued and there are probably some new favorites as well

Anytime. Anywhere.
    The only shorts I would buy right now are the Specialized SWAT bib liners. I only carry a pack on very long rides, or when I need to pack a mountain parka. I don't like the big S as a company, but these are so good I wear em anyway.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    sorry I'm not a bib guy

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I use ZOIC Carbon under Lithos and Evoke baggies.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by titus View Post
    sorry I'm not a bib guy

I used regular shorts & liners for many years, and they are not nearly as comfortable, while the SWAT pockets allow me to ditch the pack. If I could, I would feel sorry for those who don't wear bibs.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I tried out a pair of the zoic carbon liner shorts. They are sportier looking than the bontrager race short. They also seem to fit a bit more ergonomically. The bontrager race short padding seemed a bit denser/cushier but I only really noticed the effects of this after about 3 hours in the saddle when my butt was starting to feel pressure points. However due to a more ergonomic padding design, the zoics felt a bit more natural to bike in than the bontragers and 3 hours tends to be my max bike time anyway.

So I definitely give a thumbs up to the zoic carbon liner shorts. For rides longer than 3 hours, the bontrager race shorts may have an edge but the zoic carbon liner shorts are more fun to ride in for rides 3 hours or less.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I tried on the zoic carbon liners and the bontrager race short liners in a 5 minute period. The zoics are much more fashionable, better fitting, comfortable and agile whereas the bontrager race short liners look and feel more like a utilitarian supportive undergarment. The bontrager race shorts are decent backup liners but the zoic carbon is my new go-to liner