Thread: Body armor?

Still on Training Wheels!

Body armor?

Done the searches and have narrowed my choices to these, and would like some imput.
    Cost is a huge factor, but i'm willing to fork out more cash for my saftey. Here are a few links to some deals I've found what do you think?

Not a brand name, but looks exactly the same as the Rock Garden Flack Jacket
    http://www.greenfishsports.com/index...ROD&ProdID=737

Rock Garden Flack Jacket
    http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=10292

661 SP-1
    http://www.greenfishsports.com/index...ROD&ProdID=492

Any other recomendations would be welcome as well
    It's not a good ride if you don't scare yourself at least once.

Yeah...I'm Sponsored..................by my Bank Account

Glad to Be Alive
    might want to look at the Azonic Z-6

http://www.azonicusa.com/catalog/pro...roducts_id=162
    Last edited by SHIVER ME TIMBERS; 04-26-2005 at 08:33 PM.
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Still on Training Wheels!
    Thanks SMT.

What makes the Azonic better than the ones above? And is it worth the extra $80
    It's not a good ride if you don't scare yourself at least once.

Yeah...I'm Sponsored..................by my Bank Account

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by drum714
    Thanks SMT.

What makes the Azonic better than the ones above? And is it worth the extra $80
    it is all your choice what you like better...I like Azonic because I run very hot and swet a lot. Azonic is well ventilated (at least the old ones) I am getting the Z-6 next week...so I will give a full report
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    If they still have them in your size, that 661 Pressure Suit is a great deal.
    RE: your choices -
    --Never heard of the first one.
    --The RockGarden will be hotter and not breathe as well.
    --The Azonic looks good, but I don't think the spine protector is removable, as it is on the 661 Pressure Suit.
    --I'd go with the 661. Breathes well, removable spine protector, great price! BTW, that Pressure Suit pictured is the '04 model. Likely they're having a close out.

If there is any way to try on a pressure suit (a buddy's maybe) before you buy one, you want to do so. Check for these things:

1. Do the shoulder pads move around? Be sure to cinch them down with the straps in the chestplate. This is the part you really want to fit well, and you can't have the shoulder cups roll on you when you take a fall. It's the difference between bruises/strians and broken bones.

2. Body armor should fit like a second skin. It's too small if you can't breathe or move easily. It's too big if the pads are loose on your shoulders or elbows.

3. If you put on the armor and your helmet and sit on your bike, does the spine protector hit your helmet? If so, is it tollerable? While you're not sitting that much, it's still annoying if it happens.

4. Find out the return policy from the retailer before you order. If this doesn't fit, and it is a close-out item, make sure you can return it for an full-credit exchange or that the restock fee is not excessive if you choose not to order anything else. 15% is usually standard on straight returns without another purchase.

Good luck!
    -sunny
    Last edited by sunnyracegirl; 04-26-2005 at 11:20 PM.

Chillin the Most
    If I had too choose I'd have too say ROCKGARDN.

And don't beleive the haters, it breathes just fine even in So.Cal heat. Yeah it may not look like it, but they did their homework for 05. Add to that the level of customer service and 666 can't even come close.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by red5
    If I had too choose I'd have too say ROCKGARDN.

And don't beleive the haters, it breathes just fine even in So.Cal heat. Yeah it may not look like it, but they did their homework for 05. Add to that the level of customer service and 666 can't even come close.

Azonic breathes better

Chillin the Most
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    Azonic breathes better
    Um
    Ah
    OK
    .Whatever, I know your not speaking from experience. SO?????
    Just another hater who speaks out of his azz and shitz out of his mouth.

soviet pride
    iv basically adopted my buddies 661 suit cause he doesnt use it and i think it works great...id recommend it although i havnt tried any of the others uv listed but i like the 661

Glad to Be Alive
    Um Ah....ok .
    .Whatever, I know your not speaking from experience. SO?????
    Just another hater who speaks out of his azz and shitz out of his mouth.
    Come on now...I tried the thing on at Azonic but it was too small. My hook-up can't get it till next Wednesday. I am not hating but that looks way hotter.

Red i will let you check it out if you want to go for a ride

mtbr member
    I've owned both the 05 pressure suit and the 05 Flak Jacket. The Pressure suit's forearms had one strap for adjustment, I felt they'd rotate off my elbow on impact. The Flak Jacket gets my vote!

Glad to Be Alive
    [QUOTE=sunnyracegirl
    --The Azonic looks good, but I don't think the spine protector is removable, as it is on the 661 Pressure Suit.
    . -sunny [/QUOTE]

why would anyone want to take off the spine protection??? I never would take mine off....The Azonic is wider in the back too.

Chillin the Most
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    Come on now...I tried the thing on at Azonic but it was too small. My hook-up can't get it till next Wednesday. I am not hating but that looks way hotter.

Red i will let you check it out if you want to go for a ride
    I know what your saying, from the pics it looks allot worse than the reality. I was just busting your ballz.

Sadly, that ride is going to have to hold off for a few years. I'm in the process of moving to O~HI~O.

Glad to Be Alive
    I know what your saying, from the pics it looks allot worse than the reality. I was just busting your ballz.

Sadly, that ride is going to have to hold off for a few years. I'm in the process of moving to O~HI~O.

Ohio sucks compared to Socal...Why you moving???

Check this link buddy

Azonic Z-6....Hey Red 5 this is for you...

mtbr member

Body Armor

I ordered an '05 Flak Jacket with RG Landing Zone Knee/Shins and they're both on their way back to Cambria. I haven't tried on the Azonic jacket but I have to agree with SMT it's got to be cooler. Flak Jacket is just not made for muscular guys and I'm in the gym about 4 nights a week (5-9 about 200lbs) so it didn't fit me well. The shoulder caps stuck out, WAY out like football shoulder pads. Lay a 2x4 across your shoulders 6 inches wider on each side and throw your jersey on over it. There you go. Chest and spine armor sticks way out too but not quite as bad. Way too "Robocop" looking for me. Elbow guards don't stay in place either. I'm looking for something a little less restrictive and closer fit. Other than that it's definately the most rugged gear I've tried on. Thick padding...good coverage...excellent plates. Definately try it on before you buy if you can.

p.s. I won't even get into the Landing Zone Knee/Shins,
    Rockgardn needs a little more R&D but will be
    kickass gear in the next few years. Super tough...
    but bad design.
    You have bleed with Wallace.....now bleed with me!

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=SHIVER ME TIMBERS][QUOTE=sunnyracegirl --The Azonic looks good, but I don't think the spine protector is removable, as it is on the 661 Pressure Suit.
    . -sunny
    why would anyone want to take off the spine protection??? I never would take mine off....The Azonic is wider in the back too.[/QUOTE]

I wear the chest/shoulder armor at the BMX track (as opposed to just elbow guards) because I suffered a class 2 A/C separation last June and feel better with something on my shoulders. However, I remove the spine protector so I can move easier..

I also wear the chest/shoulder protector in some Super D courses, but remove the spine (so I can breathe easier).

For you people who never climb, it's probably not an issue...

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyracegirl
    I wear the chest/shoulder armor at the BMX track (as opposed to just elbow guards) because I suffered a class 2 A/C separation last June and feel better with something on my shoulders. However, I remove the spine protector so I can move easier..

I also wear the chest/shoulder protector in some Super D courses, but remove the spine (so I can breathe easier).

For you people who never climb, it's probably not an issue...
    I have no problem pedaling in it....But I do take it off on the climbs

Metal Head

... and if we just ...

No armor will give you total coverage for big crashes. I have the 661Pressure Suit and still broke my collarbone in 4 places. So now for a bit more protection I use the 661 Pressure suit, with the 661 Defender Lite on top. Sounds funny, is hot, and I look like a Storm Trooper, but I am not out to look cool, or be some fashion runway model. I need the extra protection on top of the shoulder and wearing both works for the most part. Side impacts will still break the collarbone, I don't care what you wear.