Thread: body armor?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

body armor?

I'm buying my first body armor, I already have elbow pads ... I like this jacket from 661,it's inexpensive and light

or is it better to invest in a full race suit?

StraightOuttaCompton
    full race suit, they protect more and have hard plastic for impact
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Invest in a full jacket with actual hardshell armour, something like the ROCKGARDN Flak Jacket...because your worth it.

StraightOuttaCompton
    ya like that

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    ok, how bout something like this ?

I don't see many riders in this type of armor ... any reason for that?

moaaar shimz
    A roost deflector is more popular on MX, good for object impacts, but a full body armour has better protection of shoulders, back, and has protection for elbows and arms as well as a kidney belt

StraightOuttaCompton
    ya, it is hard to ride in, and it isnt breathable at all, believe me i used to ride in a chest protector, now im in full body armor suit and it is much more comfortable

mtbr member
    Rockgarden Flak jacket is very good, I prefer it to my Dianese body armour.
    Breathes well and is nice and tough.
    Stay off the brakes

mtbr member
    Both the Rockgarden and Dainese jackets are very good - if possible try both on as each will fit a bit different.

mtbr member
    It looks like your trying to get the least protective armor....try 661's core armor.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Rockgardn Flak Jacket. Breaths well, very versatile with removable elbow/forearm guards. Barely know you have it on once you are flying down the hill.
    To Triumph without Risk is to Conquer without Glory.

'06 Ironhorse 7.3
    '96 Scott Tampico...Newspaper Delivery Machine

Is flexy
    If you are looking for a minimal armor such as the top one then as others suggested... Look into a 661 coresaver. I love mine it is just too big and I need a small/med. I have one i need to get rid of if you are interested for $70 (shameless spam I know). Washed after every ride maybe used 5 times.
    Good People... www.efingersports.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Also, If you are looking at roost stuff becuase of cost. Look at the Sette (Price point) pressure suit. I've had mine for a couple eof weeks and love it. I paid $89. vs. the rockgarden $169. I ride with guys that have the RG and and it's good but you can't beat the sette for the price.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    In addition to the 661 Core Saver, you can check out the Assault

It's got some shoulder protection.

Though, admittedly, the Core Saver looks pretty *****in'.

I've got a Fox pressure suit, but will probably be picking up something like the 661 Pro pressure suit. The back protection goes down a bit further (bonus), and looks a bit lighter than what I currently have.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by njhcx4xlife
    If you are looking for a minimal armor such as the top one then as others suggested... Look into a 661 coresaver. I love mine it is just too big and I need a small/med. I have one i need to get rid of if you are interested for $70 (shameless spam I know). Washed after every ride maybe used 5 times.
    How big are you to need a small/med? im tryin to get a good idea of fitting

Rb
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    661's are kinda shoddy as far as quality... It feels pretty cheap when you put it on.

If you want the best fitting and best protection...Dainese. No doubts. Why skimp on something that could save your life?

Is flexy
    Quote Originally Posted by Jettj45
    How big are you to need a small/med? im tryin to get a good idea of fitting
    I'm 5'7" 170 so I'm just too short for the spine protection to be comfortable. It isn't even really uncomfortable but it gets annoying with the plastic spine guard tucked into the a$$ of your shorts.
    Good People... www.efingersports.com

mtbr member
    The roost deflector maybe doesn't offer as much prtoction as a full suit, but it still does a pretty good job in my experience. My 661 Defender sits away from my chest (it's designed so there is about 1" gap), not right up against it like the soft suits, which allows PLENTY of ventilation. It is also much easier to take off between runs etc. and doesn't absorb sweat=no washing and stinking up my gear bag. That being said, I also have a full suit for those times when maximum protection is key.
    This won't hurt a bit...

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by RED5
    Invest in a full jacket with actual hardshell armour, something like the ROCKGARDN Flak Jacket...because your worth it.

i likey a lot....notice the rib protection too
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    661 assault suit is a good way to go.

Bum Buzzer
    Im liking that RockGardn! I have a Hoots Gear, short sleeve that is still Ok after 4 years!! WOW! but Id like to add something new.

Anyone know how the fit runs? I am a lanky bastard at 6'8" 250 and sometimes have problem with length, as well as being thin - elbow pads like to move!!

I hear this model accomodates a longer torso fit!! I am mostly concerned with whether or not I can get the elbow pads down far enough for a proper fit!

Comments? Other XXL type people out there?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    My Daniese is very comfortable, the back plate on it goes half way down your butt to protect your tail bone. Very Nice!
    Go BIG or Go HOME

StraightOuttaCompton
    yes, dainese is very nice, i have seen and felt colbys. i like my 661 SP-2 suit, it is a little wide for me but i am alos 6'1" 155, so im pretty skinny, but that is where the kidney belt helps, cheap and nice

Thunder Chunky
    Look at evs I believe they have acouple for pretty decent prices...I beleieve there is the bj22(multiple versions of this one)retails for abour $170 to $190 and the bj33(only one version) retails for $140 which is really good. I have the 661 sp-2 and I like it I just wish that it had a better chest protector(not much there excpet alitte foam...would prefer the plastic)

http://www.evs-sports.com/
    Purple Popcorn

mechmann_mtb
    661 makes some great stuff. go with what feels most comfortable. if you have a chance, The Path has lots of armor in stock you can try on. (don't know if you are a socal rider...)

Members who have read this thread: 0