Thread: body armor

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

body armor

I've been considering the short sleeved 661 armor for what i call big stuff (10ft+ drops) and for learning no handers/footers and whatever else. My friend, saviorself says its unnecesary and wont stop you from breaking a bone when you crash. I figured its good for confidence, moderate crashes and its better to be protected than not but I kinda see his point and its expensive so I'm looking for some opinions...
    Why or why dont you where body armor?

crumb
    Im just not a pad guy. I like helmets and sometimes gloves, but for the most part I dont find any reason in full body armor. (I see the reason behind shin guards but dont like/use them) Ive taken some nice falls and Id still rather not wear armor becuase I like being able to move freeley and I just dont like the feel of anything on me, and I hate the idea of somethingeven slightly restricting me. But Im sure lots of people will argue for armor, just differences in opinions.
    ETBW
    Magura

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by vardiel
    I've been considering the short sleeved 661 armor for what i call big stuff (10ft+ drops) and for learning no handers/footers and whatever else. My friend, saviorself says its unnecesary and wont stop you from breaking a bone when you crash. I figured its good for confidence, moderate crashes and its better to be protected than not but I kinda see his point and its expensive so I'm looking for some opinions...
    Why or why dont you where body armor?
    Something is better than nothing. The 661 Assault is minimalists armor - short sleeve, padded spine. I wear a RG Flack jacket & won't ride DH w/o it. Yes you can still break plenty of bones but if it saves one of the protected area's in a crash it was worth wearing.

Meh.
    Armor is worth it. I learned that the hard way.

My dogs are killin me
    Armor always seems to be a hindsight issue... Whenever I stop wearing armor for a while and feel really confident, then my tire will catch on a rock I didn't notice and BAM...I'm down and bleeding. I agree that it just feels so much more free and unrestrictive to not wear it, but man- when you crash all you can tell yourself is... I wish I wasn't stupid and was wearing my armor.

So now, most the time I just take my armor with me and wear it when I know I'm about to try something risky or I'm getting ready for a DH run. IMO