Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

bike clothing sewing project

17K views 30 replies 17 participants last post by  Gonz 
#1 ·
I'm so pleased! I just completed a little project. I had a pair of padded tights that I never really wore. They just didn't fit quite right in the leg. They had a nice thin chamois though, which I did like. Well, I decided I wanted knickers instead. I cut the legs off just below the knee, and then reattached the grippers from the bottom to the new legs. they are a wee bit tight (they will likely stretch) but now I have a great new pair of knickers! brilliant, if I do say so myself.

I guess I should have taken action shots of me at the sewing machine. alas, I did not. maybe I can work up a picture of me in my new knickers.

#27 · (Edited)
surfkayakers said:
Kudos ladies! These are sooooooooooooo great and motivational!

Has anyone sewn up vests or helmet covers? I'm inspired!

Looking for your thoughts sewing tips, etc. <smile> What a very cool project for the winter!

Formica, do you use a machine that has merrow capability or regular stitching for the seams?

Thanks!
vests (lots) , yes, helmet covers, yes but I had to trace off a pattern off an existing one what a pain.

Merrow? Do you mean a serger? Yes, I have a serger in addition to several other machines. I have way too many sewing machines. It'd be cool if I had as many bikes as I do SM's...

When we were out today, I counted up everything I was wearing that I had made. Everything but my sports bra, socks, gloves, and one of the two jerserys I had layered. This means, I made my booties, shorts, tights, softshell pants, long sleeve jersey and soft shell jacket. Yowza!

getting done up this week maybe ( after I make something for my hubby) , is a soft shell vest for me out of leftover dryskin fabric, using this pattern:

#29 ·
ok Formica, just how do you have the time to make all these incredible garments AND still bike??? Just the sewing or just the biking skills alone are impressive!

Thanks for the suggestion of patterns...and yes, way back in time I was a garment designer and we used to call it merrow, but I believe serger is now the term used...guess I'll have to break down and buy one... what brand do you recommend?

#30 · (Edited)
surfkayakers said:
ok Formica, just how do you have the time to make all these incredible garments AND still bike??? Just the sewing or just the biking skills alone are impressive!
the short answer is I don't do a lot of housework :cool: . The long answer is sewing and biking are my two passions ( I sew professionally and somehow have kept the passion for the fun stuff for me) so of course I make time. I''m self employed, so I work work around my rides. :D

as for recommending a serger. lots of choices, just don't buy anything from a big box store ( walmart costco etc ) they don't offer classes, they don't teach you how to use it, no warranty service etc. Try before you buy if you can. I've got a 17 year old baby lock that won't quit, jamone , husckylock,...
formica

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.