Anytime. Anywhere.

Bib Shorts With Storage

My bike won't fit a water bottle so I have been looking at ways to carry one on shorter rides. I have a CB fanny pack (sorry UK), and a road jersey with pockets. The fanny pack is OK for water but is a PITA to put on and get stuff out of because it is only suspended by a belt. It's OKish. Next I tried my Endura Singletrack jersey. I have 2, 1 that fits a little loose, which I ordered 1st. I liked it for road riding, but the white colour doesn't work for MTB. Parma stained. I ordered a red on and it fits much tighter. I don't really care for tight jerseys like that but I tried it with a water bottle and it was ok, but I feel like a a sausage.

Today I tried on some Sombrio Smuggle Bib Liners at a LBS and was impressed enough to buy em. I took my outer shorts an a full 1l bottle to make sure they would work. They keep the bottle up higher than the jersey and felt pretty good. Lots of mesh on the front and back. They are meant as a liner as the mesh it revealing. They seem like a good option and were marked at $135CDN. https://ca-store.sombriocartel.com/c...ggle-bib-liner

Race face makes the stash https://www.raceface.com/products/de...stash-mens-bib

Specialized makes the SWAT https://www.specialized.com/us/en/me...th-swat/116234

Does anyone use bibs with storage? What do you like or not? Any pointless speculation?
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Travis the medium Endo will fit the smaller Fabric water bottle with a non-reservoir shock.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...RwQ2FMXzB5ZEtn

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/fabric...er-bottle.html
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Travis the medium Endo will fit the smaller Fabric water bottle with a non-reservoir shock.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...RwQ2FMXzB5ZEtn

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/fabric...er-bottle.html
    Thanks. I have a 500ml bottle that will fit if I tape it in place. Beaufort Cycles, where I bought the shorts carries the Fabric and I will try that this week. I needed some airy bibs after I had to finally throw out my favourite 15 year old Castellis. They were almost worn through in the weiner area. I may be able to carry 2 or 3 bottles.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    If you are going to carry crap on your back anyways why not use a pack? Curious to see how you like the stash bibs. My local shop has the RF versions on sale.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    There's a big difference between carrying a pack on your back and a water bottle in a pocket. I go for some short rides where I'm not worried about flats, repairs, food etc, where I can easily walk home if something goes wrong. Now I can just go with my keys, wallet and water.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    There's a big difference between carrying a pack on your back and a water bottle in a pocket. I go for some short rides where I'm not worried about flats, repairs, food etc, where I can easily walk home if something goes wrong. Now I can just go with my keys, wallet and water.
    My first camel back was like that. Enough room for a wallet , keys and maybe a cliff bar. Then you just fill the bladder to the required amount.

I shortload my 100 oz bladder most of the time, less weight.

Powered by Pulvoron
    There is a bottle designed for just storing it behind the jersey pocket.
    https://backbottle.com/

tools you can place under your saddle
    FilipinoMafia - Ohio Chapter

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I use a specialized mountain liner pro bib. It's the higher end of their two swat bibs. I freekin love the thing and now I don't wear any of my expensive chamois that I used to use in the past. It easily carries a 20oz bottle in the pockets and I always forget it's there. I also love the waterproof phone pocket. It holds the items about 6-8" higher on your back then a road/xc jersey.

I also use a dakine low rider pack for a bit longer days too. However it's hard to go back to even that after getting used to this swat jersey. I basically use it on anything that's less then 15 miles and 2500' vertical.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I figure the shorts are good for a 1l bottle because I tested that at the shop. Unless it's very hot that's enough to hit all my favourite mid level trails. It will be mostly empty on the way down, perfect. I'm going to install the 600ml Fabric bottle on the bike that will accept it, but my bigger bike will not. Just waiting for the snow to melt so I can get back on the trail.

mtbr member
    The Pearl Izumi Liner bibs have 3 storage pockets. It is actually better than a jersey at holding a full water bottle... more secure. As a bonus they have a pee slit in the front too... fyi. really pleased with them for <$100 on sale - fit/material/chamois - all

mtbr member
    Here is another option:

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5051-688/Stash-Tank

You can use a small bladder with it or stuff a bottle in the rear pocket.

Older style on sale.

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5040-212/Stash-Tank
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Fabric bottle was no go. I could bolt it on but there is no room to put the bottle on and off. Another LBS carries Specialized but only had 1 medium SWAT bib left. More coming soon early next month.

mtbr member
    Fabric bottle was no go.
    I've got a 600ml fabric and it would fit my Endo if I didn't have a reservoir shock. The guy's photo I linked to above is using a Fabric on his Endo as well. He has to stop to take it out. It's not a drink while you ride deal.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I use the Specialized SWAT bibs, love em.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Yesterday I attached my tube, C02, and tool to the frame with velcro straps and put a water bottle in the short's pocket. Even with a 1l bottle it didn't bounce too bad on the way up the singletrack. I drank 1/2 by the time I got to the top and it was unobtrusive on the fast descent. I'll see how the Sombrio Smuggle Bib holds up, but they were very comfortable and the pockets worked well.
    Last edited by Travis Bickle; 02-26-2017 at 08:47 AM.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    More testing was carried out yesterday. I loaded the shorts with 1 500ml, 1 650ml bottle, 2 clif bars, and my vest. The shorts are very comfy and carry the gear securely. After a bit I kind of forgot about the bottles.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I have been using these shorts on all my rids lately and am sold on the concept. We went out for a short rip yesterday and I carried the 500ml bottle. It's hardly noticeable.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I carried my 1l bottle today in the centre pocket comfortably.

mtbr member
    I carried my 1l bottle today in the centre pocket comfortably.
    Are you using a particular bottle or regular round bike bottle?

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Just a normal Zefal 1l.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Just back from my local Specialized LBS. The Pro SWAT bibs were in stock. So far the large SWAT fits similar to the large Smuggle except the bib straps are shorter and the pocket seems slightly higher. So far so good as at 5'9.5", I had shortened the Smuggle straps. The bottle felt secure but I will hopefully test tomorrow. They seem pretty similar except for the straps. I strongly suggest trying on.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Why not try fitting a kids bottle and cage onto your frame?

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by PUNKY View Post
    Why not try fitting a kids bottle and cage onto your frame?
    The only thing that fits in my frame is a Fabric Tool Keg. It will hold 600ml of water but I find that having the bottle keeps the water warmer in the winter. Frame mounted gets pretty cold. On hot days I will ice in the bottle on my back.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Okay
    Did you check out the Alpinestars gear on PB today? They have bib that fits a hydration sleeve.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I'm not sold on the idea of a bladder attached to the bibs. I've heard the RF one is a struggle to put on with a bladder.

I wore the Swats yesterday and they were comfy and performed about the same as the Sombrio shorts. It is going to come down to durability.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I've been thinking about trying out these bibs from Pactimo's new mtb line: https://www.pactimo.com/collections/...nt=26494924039

The price is right, but I can't find much info on them since they are pretty new.

Oni
    Master Of Fooliganism
    Ummmm. Have been looking at the Pactimo's. Read a review somewhere that had me steering clear of the gen 1. What was it??? They didn't like the pocket design because it didn't hang out over the outer short. Ive got four pairs of bibs and only one (specialized SWAT) does that. To me, that's a good design.
    My most comfy ones are the dirt baggies but the pockets are t week or. Have the Pearl Izumis and while the pockets are decent, I don't find them very comfortable. The SWATs are good but a little short in the bib length. Have a pair of giro bibs and those are comfy and work well. Saw a blurb for a QBP house brand bib that looks good.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Try the Sombre Smuggle, the bib straps are longer than SWAT, otherwise they are very similar.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    My comparison on Specialized SWAT (the cheaper version) vs. Sombrio Smuggle

I've been using the SWATs since they came out three seasons ago and they went through a revision last season. 6'2" rider, picked up the Sombrio's last night and trying presently in my house.

My normal BIG load:
    - Full 24oz bottle and iPhone6 in middle pocket
    - up to 3 bars/food in right pocket
    - Multitool w/ extra CO2 in left and any other little things, sometimes thin jacket can be stuffed in

Specialized SWAT:
    - pockets are bigger and are MUCH more secure. The revision saw them change from the mesh material to a more solid nylon. There is MUCH less bounce and it sits higher in the small of my back. In 3 years of LOTS of riding I may have lost a bottle twice (24oz bottles are not a problem when partially full but do get light when empty and not as secure, no worries at all with a 21oz)
    - chamois goes up a little further in the front than the Sombrio
    - slightly better ventilated
    - I do actually appreciate the little tabs to attach to shorts, any Sombrio shorts I have theres extra material under waistband where I actually melt a little hole in the material to attach the straps to
    - As mentioned bib straps are a little shorter but with such a stretchy material its not a problem (I wear larges, although takes a bit more contortion to pull out for a piss)
    - A good value is actually to buy the Specialized Atlas shorts which include the bibs (an extra $50 in Canada, although ideally I fit Medium shorts but Large bibs)
    - Unfortunately in the new revision, Spec added an extra piece of material in the front across the stomach, I think it was unnecessary and when stretched (while contorting to piss) can rip a little in the stitching

Sombrio Smuggle
    - Better quality chamois, more padding under sit bones but chamois does not extend as far in the front as the Spec
    - Extra zippered pocket can come in handy
    - Lycra bottoms on Sombrios are nicer, seem like they'll stay in place better
    - Pockets are smaller and MUCH more elastic/bouncy, plus they hang quite a bit lower on the bum, THE POCKETS ARE THE BIGGEST DRAWBACK IMO
    - my iPhone6 does not fit in the middle pocket like it does in the SWATs

Conclusion:
    The Smuggle bib with the pockets of the SWAP would be such a GREAT liner but unfortunately I'm not even going to chance it on the Sombrios and returning them to get another pair of SWATS. I just wish Specialized would add a better chamois to their regular SWAT, I would be willing to pay a little extra. Their Pro SWAT is just way too expensive (almost double) and has some disadvantages (namely they are warmer).

Specialized SWAT Pro Bib Shorts - Reviews, Comparisons, Specs - Mountain Bike Riding Shorts - Vital MTB

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I don't find any difference in comfort between the 2. I like a very minimal chamois. For me, the Smuggle pockets sit slightly too low, and are a bit smaller than the SWAT. Not sure how big an I phone 6 is but my LG4 with a bulky Tank case https://www.aliexpress.com/item/G4-M...608.0.0.EG7M8r feels a bit more secure in the SWAT pocket. I have been putting a 1l bottle in the centre pocket, the phone on one side, and a bar on the other. I can carry a toque, vest, more bars, and even a 2nd smaller bottle if need be.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Since we are on the topic of pockets, does anybody have a good solution for a minimal/light/low profile tool wallet to carry in one back pocket? Enough to carry the small loose bits:
    - multitool
    - CO2 plus nozzle
    - Dynaplug (tire plugs and tool)

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I put a tool keg on my bike and ordered one of these it strap on the TT, just in front of the seat tube. I don't like the idea of crashing with hard objects in my pockets.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bib Shorts With Storage-ut8.zrrx1vxxxagofbxd.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    Since we are on the topic of pockets, does anybody have a good solution for a minimal/light/low profile tool wallet to carry in one back pocket? Enough to carry the small loose bits:
    - multitool
    - CO2 plus nozzle
    - Dynaplug (tire plugs and tool)
    Right here: Tülbag - Storage

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Just did a ride with 1 1l, 1 600ml bottles, phone, and a wicking T shirt in the SWAT pockets. Carried quite well.