Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Bib question

3K views 26 replies 20 participants last post by  desertred 
#1 ·
Ok guys I am not ragging on any of you that wear bibs I was just woundering what is the point like are they more comfortable than regular shorts, do they benefit ur riding in anyway cause I am lookin to getting into some xc racing this year and was woundering what the benifits were from them and weather or not I should get some and how do u go about sizing them

Thnks

#3 ·
They seemed ridiculous to me too, but once you switch to bibs, you'll never go back. They hold the chamois in the perfect place, no matter how much you move around, and the bib straps eliminate the need for an elastic waistband that can irritate you on long rides. The bib straps also provide extra surface area for moisture management. Try a pair. Especially if you're racing. You'll wish you'd switched long ago.

#4 ·
Another bonus is that the tail piece that attaches to the strap covers your lower back where the some of the muscles responsible for stabilizing your pelvis reside. These can get stiff and sore easily especially with the chill of air that flows around the body. Not a huge difference but it is a nice perk on top of the above mentioned reasons.

#12 ·
Another bonus is that the tail piece that attaches to the strap covers your lower back where the some of the muscles responsible for stabilizing your pelvis reside. These can get stiff and sore easily especially with the chill of air that flows around the body. Not a huge difference but it is a nice perk on top of the above mentioned reasons.
To expand on this "coverage" back there............
If it's wet, you don't get cold water spray directly on your back if you are leaned forward at all.

Unless I'm actually in a race, I wear bibs under by baggies. The baggies are an extra layer of protection. Plus, if you go down hard, you don't want to rip you nice $100 bib on a fun ride.

#6 ·
i switched to bibs a while ago when i started to get serious about racing CX. i still have an arsenal of nice baggies that I wear, but if i know i'm going on a 4-5+ hr ride, the bibs come out and i may throw some baggies on top of them.

try on as many different pairs as you can. i have bibs from castelli, PI, craft and rapha and the sizing/fit is different across the board.

#14 ·
Or just get actual Winter Bibs.
If you are riding in the right way and like to make babies later in life the pad has its value(s).
I ride Mavic winter bibs all winter even at -15 this year. Downside to winter bibs is the fabric that keeps you warmer tends to be a bit thicker. Sort of like having a wet suit resistance when riding (no biggie really).

On side note and more human levels of outdoor heat the bib will rub less, fit better, and just be like nothing on. Quality and fit matters!

:)

#13 ·
I have seen a roadie with just the bib and HR monitor (no jersey) on a hot day. :eek: I turned on a side street went a different way home I was so embarrassed.

#15 · (Edited)
I've tried both types. with crotch pad and without. for me the ones without padding were much more comfortable. the padding stays where you need it better in a pair of shorts compared to a full bib, so I'd just wear my short tights w crotch pad underneath the bib. No need to wash the bib after unless you're really sweating. Bontrager makes a very nice thermal bib with windfront material that sells for about $105. It has kept me warm while winter riding in Pgh area

just my opinion, YMMV

#16 ·
All salient points covered. For me, 1) more comfortable , ie always in the right spot, 2) no elastic cutting into my belly, 3) don't fall down, 4) avoid showing crack. If you're gonna wear lycra, may as well do it right and get the bibs (I seldom wear mine on the trail, and if I do, it's under baggies, but they're great on the road).

#22 ·
Correct. The key to this statement, though, is, if you have to. Which, implies, don't do it if you don't have to.

The "conversational" part is spot on!

I wear 3/4 pants over my winter bibs (mostly to tuck a wool sweater into) and shorts over my bib-shorts on the trail. Bibs are far superior to shorts for already mentioned reasons.

"Padded crotch" is called a chamois. Use chamois cream. Shea butter, makes a great chamois cream. Use generous amounts of chamois cream, applied directly to chamois. Don't think about it, just do it. The comfort is worth the self-exploration.

The most commonly asked questions about my bib-straps:

Are you wearing a wrestling singlet?

What are those?

::quizzical look::

Is that a wet-suit?

These are usually followed by questions about my neoprene booties.

#19 ·
So what if we look like Flying Trapeze Artists....those things have built-in suspenders, and is the best thing since sliced bread. The mesh sides keep tearing from pee runs, so I sewed a zipper on mine...problem solved!

#25 ·
Since a waistband only squeezes around your body, if your shorts slide down the chamois pad will migrate away from your crotch, that allows chaffing to begin and feels like a full diaper.
Bib straps keep your chamois pulled upward in close contact with your crotch, thus no chaffing and increased ease of motion while hiking and moving on the saddle.

I'm not going to make a habit of spamming the boards, but I've written more about the benefits of bibs for mountain bikers here: F.A.Q. - dirtbaggies

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.