Thread: Bib advice

Michigan Wolverine

Bib advice

Hey everyone,
    I'm slowly converting to mountain biking from my past as a BMX racer after catching the bug hard earlier this year. I'm looking to get some cycling specific shorts and after reading stuff about shorts vs bibs I'm thinking I want to go the bib route. Although all of this tight fitting stuff is new to me.

I know that with cycling shorts you get what you pay for, but obviously I'm looking to cheap this as light on the wallet as possible. I saw that HuckNRoll has the Fox Evolution bibs for ~$40 which seems like a good deal. Does anyone have any experience with these? If not, does anyone have any good suggestions for bibs that won't totally break the bank, but will still do an adequate job?

Thanks.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by RaptorTC View Post
    Hey everyone,
    I'm slowly converting to mountain biking from my past as a BMX racer after catching the bug hard earlier this year. I'm looking to get some cycling specific shorts and after reading stuff about shorts vs bibs I'm thinking I want to go the bib route. Although all of this tight fitting stuff is new to me.

I know that with cycling shorts you get what you pay for, but obviously I'm looking to cheap this as light on the wallet as possible. I saw that has the Fox Evolution bibs for ~$40 which seems like a good deal. Does anyone have any experience with these? If not, does anyone have any good suggestions for bibs that won't totally break the bank, but will still do an adequate job?

Thanks.
    Voler bibs have been my favorite for years. Fit well, wear well, good pads, good prices.
    Voler: Product Search - Bottoms, Mens, Bibs
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Michigan Wolverine
    Thanks, the prices on past years models are looking pretty good. I guess now its on to sizing advice since I've never worn bibs before. Judging by the height, weight, and chest measurements I should be in an XL. But the waist measurement for that size is listed as 38-41, which is much bigger than the 34's I usually wear.

LightJunction.com
    I haven't used any of Fox's chamois, so I can't offer advice about those. I believe HucknRoll has a pretty decent return policy, though, so I wouldn't be afraid to buy something from them sight unseen. I've had really good luck with Louis Garneau bibs...even the cheap ones feel better than some far more expensive options from other companies. I also like some of the options Performance Bicycle has to offer. If you've got one of their stores near you, you could stop in and check a few options/brands out in person. That might help you in the long run if you're looking to buy online.
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com

WLB
    It's a Mojo mang!
    I recently got a set of the Dirtbaggies bib liner. It's really, really comfortable. Wish I had discovered bibs earlier. I've been wearing this under any short. A little pricey, but worth it to me.

dirtbaggies - the worlds most comfortable MTB shorts

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I've found that these bibs from PB work great on rides up too four hours:

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...095057__400065

For rides over four hours, I go to a higher end product that is very comfortable for day long rides:

http://castelli-cycling.com/it/products/detail/603/

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by RaptorTC View Post
    Thanks, the prices on past years models are looking pretty good. I guess now its on to sizing advice since I've never worn bibs before. Judging by the height, weight, and chest measurements I should be in an XL. But the waist measurement for that size is listed as 38-41, which is much bigger than the 34's I usually wear.
    Chest measurements mean nothing for (bib) shorts.

I am 6'1, 34-36" waist, 170-180lb, wear large bibs.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common