mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Best well ventilated fullface helmet?

I've been looking for a good fullface helmet that is also light and well ventilated. Is there such a thing?

With the increasing number of 6" trailbikes and 8" freeride bikes, it seems helmets aren't keeping up. You can get a heavy DH helmet with no ventilation or a XC lid that's light and well ventilated, but hardly any protection.

I need something in between. I want a helmet that breathes enough to wear on grinding 4 mile climbs that will also offer great protection when bombing down very technical runs (like Mr. Toad's Wild Ride in Tahoe). I want a fullface helmet that's light and well ventilated but gives more protection than the typical XC helmet. The Pro-Tec Ace Fullface seems the closest to what I want so far, but it still doesn't have enough ventilation. Is there anything else out there?

mtbr member
    Giro makes the switchblade. its basically an xc helmet with a bolt on chin guard. so its not really a full face

I've heard that Vigor's Vamose II is one of the best ventilated full face DH helmets and the carbon one is pretty light

the bomb

switchblade was discontinued

Quote Originally Posted by jr711
    Giro makes the switchblade. its basically an xc helmet with a bolt on chin guard. so its not really a full face

I've heard that Vigor's Vamose II is one of the best ventilated full face DH helmets and the carbon one is pretty light
    unless they re-released it. I believe 2003 was the last year they were made. Too bad, I love mine, and will be lost when it wears out.
    Womanhood ain't for sissies.- oldbroad