mtbr member

Best sunglass lens color for deep woods

A lot of my riding takes place under the deep green canopy of trees that make up Georgia mountain biking. I started riding decades ago in Colorado and California where exposed trails and intense sunshine where the norm. Down here, it's completely different.

The lighting ranges from intensely bright spots through the trees to dark areas deep in the valleys. I've got a pair of great Oakley Half Jackets that came with black lenses. These can be a bit to dark in the dark areas and transition areas. What color works best for this type of lighting? The Half Jackets have interchangeable lenses so it's an easy switch.
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

mtbr member
    I'd run the amber or yellow-ish option oooorr go with some auto-tinting glasses/lenses

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Brown seems to be the best lens colour for bringing out contrast in a wooded setting.

I like photochromic lenses for trail riding, they lighten up to a lighter tint that regular lenses for shady areas but still have enough tint to make sunlit areas comfortable. If you are in the sun for a few minutes they darken a bit.

You can get photochromic lenses in different lens colours.

mtbr member

Re: Best sunglass lens color for deep woods

Yellow-ish works well for me.

mtbr member
    Lemon yellow, vermilion or light amber.

Nickel Havr
    In Oakley tints I would check out Photochromatic (Transition), +Red or G30...
    Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

mtbr member
    I currently wear a pair of Uvex with amber lenses. They work well in north Florida until the forrest gets really thick. So last week, I order a pair of Tifosi's with photo-chromatic backcountry orange lenses. If weather permits (we've had a ton of rain this past week), I'll be trying them out Tuesday and/or Thursday.
    2013 SC Tallboy C
    2011 Niner EMD9

k_z
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinGT View Post
    The lighting ranges from intensely bright spots through the trees to dark areas deep in the valleys. I've got a pair of great Oakley Half Jackets that came with black lenses. These can be a bit to dark in the dark areas and transition areas. What color works best for this type of lighting? The Half Jackets have interchangeable lenses so it's an easy switch.
    Problem with Half Jackets is they're discontinued and there is not a lot of lenses available for them...
    I tried VR28s for conditions like described above and at the end ended up with plain clear lenses. Also have yellow ones but leave these for days with no sun at all...

Competent User

I run clear. They block UV and because almost all of our New England trails are in the woods, they're almost always perfect. I very rarely find myself wishing for a darker tint.

mtbr member
    I can relate, but I find light yellow will really brighten things up a bit, although any tint changes the eyes' expectation.
    Mileage will vary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Quint View Post
    I run clear. They block UV and because almost all of our New England trails are in the woods, they're almost always perfect. I very rarely find myself wishing for a darker tint.

pin it
    I wear (Oakley) amber lens goggles for DH, because I am in and out of the sun and shade a. My eyes adjust quickly and I can focus on the trail and surroundings. For trails, same thing, amber lenses. (again Oakley).
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Been wearing the same pair of Bolle 'Paroles' with lemon, amber, vermillion and gun metal polarized for 15 or so years; skiing, biking, fly fishing, climbing, upland hunting, shooting clays, trail running---blah blah blah.
    :-)
    They all have a place, but I find as I have aged, I need more light to stay unconfused.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Re: Best sunglass lens color for deep woods

I got some glasses that came with several interchangeable lenses. I thought I would use the yellow a lot, but I've found that I really like the light blue. It's tinted enough so that it kills the glare when you are in the open..it's light enough that it is easy to see in dark canopy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Here's the science breakdown: blue light reduces our vision's contrast. Filter out the blue with yellow lenses. Blue tints are actually the worst choice. Blue mirrors on yellow tints work best. I like light brown for in and out of the woods, yellow for cloudy days or all woods, and normal lenses for the desert. Grab a pair of yellow safety glasses from your local hardware store for about 10-15$. Works like a charm. I usually wear a pack, so I carry two pairs. Yellows are almost always on for descents. Less time in the sun and they just work so damn good in the shadows when your hauling ass.

mtbr member
    I use clear lenses. The amber/brown/yellow tint does a great job of contrasting green leaves against all the other brown and grey stuff (which is not what I want). I want to see the difference between brownish grey rocks, dark brown roots, and light brown soil; and the brown lenses blend it all together for me. If you must have tint, I think a light grey would be the best because it would preserve true colors.

Trail Prospector
    ^ 2nd this (AWG). Prescription sunglasses are my most valued piece of gear, and while amber/brown works great on snow, they do not provide enough contrast on densely wooded trails. I've found the light grey (polarized) lens works quite well. For unreal contrast and wild fall colors I got a pair of Ray Bans made with a rose lens that are crazy good. YMMV
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by veryavgwhtguy View Post
    I use clear lenses. The amber/brown/yellow tint does a great job of contrasting green leaves against all the other brown and grey stuff (which is not what I want). I want to see the difference between brownish grey rocks, dark brown roots, and light brown soil; and the brown lenses blend it all together for me. If you must have tint, I think a light grey would be the best because it would preserve true colors.

that is my exact issue with yellow lenses.

mtbr member
    Polarized rose. Or at least that's been my experience so far. YMMV
    I'm enjoying my childhood way too much to ever give it up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Interesting. I haven't had that problem, other than it being an aesthetics thing (seeing the beauty of the trail). Green is not on the trail, it's in the air on branches - so I don't understand how it gets confused with rocks/roots? What I really need is amplified contrast to identify the size of roots and rocks.

I'll have to try rose. Blue sucked, in my experiences on trails. Yellow was much better. I liked yellow over grey, but it might've just been too dark of a grey?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I bought a pair of the yellow safety glasses (similar to shooting glasses) you can buy at your local bigbox hardware store. Haven't been disappointed.

unrooted
    The Native Sunglasses my friends wear come with a dark lense and a lighter lens for just what you're describing. My friends love em.

Native Eyewear Sunglasses up to 45% off at Sierra Trading Post

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Quint View Post
    Agree.

I buy shooting glasses at about $3 a pair and can get about 3 years out of them before they are too scratched. Then they go into the shop for grinding and cutting.

turtles make me hot
    I'm surprised at the answers here. I wear prescription #2 grey polarized and they seem perfect until the sun starts setting, then I switch to clear.
    I like turtles

AOK
    mtbr member

I am also in GA. I like Tifosi's "backcountry orange" fototec lenses.