mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Best stiff-soled shoes for platform pedals

Just like the title says, what are your favorite shoes to go with platforms? I might try five-tens, but I understand they are more about grip than power-transfer. Is this true?

They don't have to be cycling specific. Just want something more technical for my Krampus than trail shoes.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I've been rocking the Specialized 2FO flats for a couple of months now and I'm pretty happy with them. I was using a pair of Merrell trail shoes prior.

mtbr member
    If your foot is on the pedal in the right place I don't see how shoe being stiffer helps any? I just find stiff shoes uncomfortable.

I use Sketchers Vigor 2.0: Gel insole, medium rubber sole with hard rubber sections. Grips great, comfortable on or off the bike. I replaced the strings with LOCK LACES (Elastic No Tie Shoe Laces), which I would recommend on any shoe with laces.
    Last edited by armii; 06-06-2016 at 11:34 AM.

mtbr member
    five ten aescent
    2014 27.5" SC Blur TRa - 2014 IP-106 Chiner 29er - 2005 Fuji Team SL 16.2lbs -

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks, I'll check into both. Any idea how the Five-Tens fit compared to Giro Mountain bike shoes? I know Specialized run a little long. I'm female with big feet, usually wear a 43 or 44, depending. 43 in Giro. 44 in Sidi. 44 in Louis Garneau. Of those, only the Giro are mountainbike shoes. (SPD).

According to their chart, size 42 is equivalent to a women's 10.5, which is my size. 42 is a size 9 mens. Usually wear a bigger size in cycling shoes, but not always. Wish I could buy from a shop. No one carries them.

mtbr member
    I ordered 2FO flats directly from Specialized..they're light and stiff sole and not as bulky as others..to me it was the perfect mtb shoe..and they give you an extra set of laces..I got the black and blue version.