mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Best shoes for flats (women's)

So I'm wondering what shoe to get for riding on platform pedals. As far as "women's" shoes, is five ten karvers the only option? They look very well made but for that price they better last several years. Any ladies riding platforms that care to share what shoe you wear?

I don't really mind wearing a 'men's shoe' if they aren't super wide... so guys please share too. I'm getting some wellgo mg1's and all i have been reading about is how awesome the five tens stick to them

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Wife loves the Sam Hills. She has a somewhat protruding ankle bone, and the SHs are cut a little lower than the Impacts. Most everybody loves the Impact lows.

Go try some on and see if the width suits you. If you're on the fence, get them at REI and return or exchange if it doesn't work out.

Cheers,

Mike

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    my friend just wears any skate shoes she finds cheap.

mtbr member
    @ Meowhead - ask the girls over at MuddBunnies Riding
    i'm on my Last Herb
    RestInPeace Hook

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Just ordered a pair of fox darksides since they were on closeout on hucknroll, (Got the last pair). I'm not sure how the funky tread on them will work but we'll see..they were 70% off, so pretty sure I could find someone to take them off my hands if they don't work out

brandisher of chainsaws
    Five Tens are hands down the best shoes for flats, buy some.

SANCTUS
    I prefer high heels for flat terrain and flat's for really steep terain

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

i wanna feel flat pedals but with some support

which shoes would anyone suggest. i run skate shoe and my feet get tired with all the flex but i still want to feel my pedals, any suggestions, cheaper is a plus.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    anyone have issues wearing skate shoes and lack of traction walking up really steep trails? I'm throwing on Straitlines after running Shimano clipless for 10 years to check em out but I'm worried my cleated mtn bike shoes won't work with the flats.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    My chic loves her Vans!

mtbr member
    I've have the karver's. They don't have any way of keeping out trail debris, otherwise they're a great shoe. They don't slip on my pedals at all and are pretty stiff and supportive. I've only had them a little over a year so I can't speak to their durability except that they get used 3-4 times a week and they show very little wear so far. Traction on wet and dry has been surprisingly good, including weathered granite and greasy red clay. They have a polka-dot style tread that's pretty flat and I expected them to slide around on the wet clay, especially on slopes, but they don't. I thought the extra padding over the inside ankle bones was going to be overkill but it has proven itself useful as well.

My husband has the low impacts and they seem pretty similar in features. Actually, if you wear a larger or wide size women's shoe, these would probably sub for the karvers quite nicely.

Footnote edit: I took a look at my husbands shoes after I posted this and they don't have the padding on the inside ankle like the karver does, so maybe not an exact sub.
    Last edited by skullcap; 02-16-2012 at 05:31 AM.
    I'm enjoying my childhood way too much to ever give it up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    thanks Skullcap. I was wondering if the polka dot tread was ok and it sounds like it is!

mtbr member
    You're welcome!
    I'm enjoying my childhood way too much to ever give it up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Any Five Ten shoe is going to grip sufficiently for whatever hiking you're likely to do. FT started out as a climbing and hiking shoe company, and its sticky rubber compounds were/are industry standard-setters. The dot rubber is the same sole they use on shoes that are intended for scrambling and approaches. You won't be slipping up the trail with FT rubber on your sole.

Mike

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    sweet! now to find one in a women's 7.5!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Just got my Fox darksides today. They are stiff and grippy... I wouldn't pay retail for them but I don't pay retail for anything so don't listen to me! Only problem is the smallest mens size they make is a size too big for me. I'm still gonna wear them. But will def be looking for a pair of women's shoes that will fit better...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by She&I View Post
    Any Five Ten shoe is going to grip sufficiently for whatever hiking you're likely to do. FT started out as a climbing and hiking shoe company, and its sticky rubber compounds were/are industry standard-setters. The dot rubber is the same sole they use on shoes that are intended for scrambling and approaches. You won't be slipping up the trail with FT rubber on your sole.

Mike
    They're great on rock, but they slip on mud, the polka dots are too low (better than totally smooth soles maybe).

see me rollin, they hatin
    i found this pretty late, but i was having the same issue. my feet are way too small to wear any of the men's 510 shoes. I had tried something like the karver before but they were too bulky and the design hurt my feet.

i now wear the Guide tennie by 510. they are not as stiff as the karvers but they still grip well and i am very happy with them. i'm sure i would like them to be a little stiffer, but never had pain from them

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Nike Vomero 6 works great!