Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Trail Cubist

Best MTB shoes for hike-a-biking?

I started mountain biking with a pair of Shimano shoes like these...

They're comfortable, and fine when I'm riding...but they SUCK for hike-a-biking and scrambling over rocks and through the woods. They slip and slide like I'm on ice (even with the fearsome-looking toe cleats!)

So I'm looking for recommendations for a shoe that's better for hike-a-biking over rocks and scrambling through the woods...but isn't as heavy as a hiking boot. (I know it's a tradeoff.)

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks,
    Scott

EDIT: On scanning the rest of Shimano's lineup, I guess what I need are what Shimano calls "Mountain Touring" shoes, like this...

I don't know if all companies go by that same category name...and I have no idea if Shimanos are good?
    29er wheels are dangerous. They may cause you to go faster which can result in serious bodily injury. óJim311

Quote Originally Posted by SWriverstone
    I started mountain biking with a pair of Shimano shoes like these...

They're comfortable, and fine when I'm riding...but they SUCK for hike-a-biking and scrambling over rocks and through the woods. They slip and slide like I'm on ice (even with the fearsome-looking toe cleats!)

So I'm looking for recommendations for a shoe that's better for hike-a-biking over rocks and scrambling through the woods...but isn't as heavy as a hiking boot. (I know it's a tradeoff.)

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks,
    Scott

EDIT: On scanning the rest of Shimano's lineup, I guess what I need are what Shimano calls "Mountain Touring" shoes, like this...

I don't know if all companies go by that same category name...and I have no idea if Shimanos are good?
    Those "mountain touring" shoes have flexy soles and might be fine for someone who tools around on the bike path or rides on the gravel MUT. But they're going to hurt your feet if you visit rough terrain and really have to crank it up hills.

The only ones I've tried that have been any good for hike-a-bike are the Lake mx165's that have been raved about on these forums. They're my current shoes, and they're worth it.

Yes, they're a little bit heavy. They are that way because they have a Vibram sole and the heel is elevated so you stand with a more natural position.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Try the Sette Enduro. I love it and it is a good deal at Pricepoint.

AZ
    banned
    Another vote for the Lake's , you cannot beat Lake quality , second to none .

Air Pirate
    I have been using a pair of Shimano shoes from the late 90's that are very much like the MT52 model, with the mid-top hiking shoe form, which for me works better than the roadie-shoe form almost all mountain bike shoes have. I like how the higher top keeps debris out of the shoe better.

I have been looking at the MT52 as a replacement, but I really wish someone beside Shimano sold a mid-top shoe. I have yet to find something, is there anything out there?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I just got a pair of MT52s. I like them quite a bit. The higher tops don't bug me while riding, and they're very solid and stiff. I've not done much walking in them, but I wouldn't be afraid to. These have the laces going though real eyelets, which I like.

These replaced my old MT42s - which always seem kind of like crappy sneakers. But then, they did last 3 years of riding.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Always gonna be a trade off.

PUr4e bike shoes will have a stiff fhank throughout the length, not great for walking no matter what the style.

Good hiking boots will have a 3/4 to 1/2 shank the front 25% or so bends easily.

Lake and Shimano have both found a similar compromise...

Lake does have the Vibram sole, not sure about Shimano?

Unfit Norwegian
    I'm very happy with my Northwave Expedition GTX. Gore Tex, Vibram soles with some actual grip, and stiff enough for trail riding.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

grippy spd mtn bike shoes

I have been using the same kind of spd mtn bike shoes for years. I finally slipped and broke my ankle on slick rock in Sedona using them. Just a matter of time. It would be great if I could find a stiff soled mtn bike shoe that had some kind of traction other than metal spikes and hard plastic. Thanks for your input.

mtbr member
    After years of riding Sidis Dominators (3 pair), I went with Lakes (mx330) for my last shoes due to their rubber sole over the sidi plastic sole. Much easier when walking on rock.
    The Good Times are Killing me

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Pearl izumi seek shoes have been working for me.Just the right flex and great grip.Very breathable also.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Lake MX165 work great for me.

Pearl X Alp also are very good.

I trashed a pair of northwave at liz furnace. definately cant use the XC racer plastic soled ballet slippers
    The mountains are calling and I must go

usually cranky
    shimano m 775s work ok for me but then again i was a hockey player used to standing on ice.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    maybe you can try the shimano am 51 its good for me..
    or if you like shimano shoes you can try shimano shoes that have gore tex leather..
    its water proof but in some site state that gore tex not to suitable for tropic island like Indonesia

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan55
    Lake MX165 work great for me.

Pearl X Alp also are very good.

I trashed a pair of northwave at liz furnace. definately cant use the XC racer plastic soled ballet slippers
    Yup... in my opinion the PearlIzumi x-Alp is one of the best shoes all around. And if you can find the MID version, those are even better. Unfortunately those were discontinued recently. Stiff sole, long lasting, good tread for hiking, and good protection for the inside of the ankle against hitting the crank arm.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Shimano soles shred apart too easily. The uppers will outlast the soles, which makes them a poor bargain. Try finding the Cannondale Carve - not the lightest MTB shoe out there, but easily the most durable, in terms of hike-a-bike. The deep sole lugs and rubber toe spikes are perfect for steep, muddy inclines and can tackle pavement without ever having your clipless cleats touching the ground. Mine is still going strong after nearly 5 years and some 9000 miles of riding:
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk
    Those "mountain touring" shoes have flexy soles and might be fine for someone who tools around on the bike path or rides on the gravel MUT. But they're going to hurt your feet if you visit rough terrain and really have to crank it up hills.
    I have to disagree on that. Me and my girlfriend each just purchased a pair of these, and we have been on a couple hard rides, with lots of climbing, and I found them neither "flexy", nor did they hurt my feet..

And if you look around you can find them for $50 or less. A prettty good buy. They also have a roomy toe box, unlike a lot of cycling shoes.

I also had good luck with some Sette shoes I bought cheap. They held up well, but not as good of a tread as the Shimano to walk in when needed.
    Last edited by twowheelsdown2002; 02-15-2011 at 10:49 AM.

Ovaries on the Outside
    I use the Pearl Izumis for commuting/summer riding. During the muddy season they are kinda useless because they use shoe laces- they get muddy and soaked and it is difficult to get your feet out and even harder to get your feet in them after they dry.

I love them during the dry months though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah
    Shimano soles shred apart too easily. The uppers will outlast the soles, which makes them a poor bargain. Try finding the Cannondale Carve - not the lightest MTB shoe out there, but easily the most durable, in terms of hike-a-bike. The deep sole lugs and rubber toe spikes are perfect for steep, muddy inclines and can tackle pavement without ever having your clipless cleats touching the ground. Mine is still going strong after nearly 5 years and some 9000 miles of riding:
    I agree with you about Shimano soles shredding too easy. Keep in mind we ride all mountain bikes, and live in Arizona, and we ride really rocky trails, some of which you have to hike some unrideable, rocky sections. We are hard on shoes!!

I bought a pair of SH-086L shoes and in 2 months the sole came apart in the instep area. I replaced them with the AM-50, and the sole came apart in 3 or 4 months.

I then got some Sette Epic shoes, and while they don't have the best traction for hike a bike, they have stood up to abuse well.

We just purchased the Shimano MT-52 shoes for me and my girlfriend because the price was really low, and they appear to have a different sole than other Shimano shoes. Otherwise I would not be giving them a shot after my other Shimano shoe experiences. They do fit well, and they interface with M-647 pedals really well. The laces pull nice and tight, and the upper strap even pulls nice and snug. So far so good, but time will tell. Hopefully these soles will hold up better.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    For this price, they are hard to pass up: http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...Mtb+Shoes.aspx

I just got a pair, so far they are very comfortable, plenty of traction for the hike-a-bike, and the soles seem pretty stiff to me.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Give it five months of riding..the rubber will all peel away. Did it on three pairs. No more Shimano shoes for me!
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    For women, Pearl iZUMi is the best for riding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by -bb-
    Yup... in my opinion the PearlIzumi x-Alp is one of the best shoes all around. And if you can find the MID version, those are even better. Unfortunately those were discontinued recently. Stiff sole, long lasting, good tread for hiking, and good protection for the inside of the ankle against hitting the crank arm.
    I have heard the same. My buddy swears by them and just bought 2 more pairs (regular and rain resistant) to have as backups.

I am heading out the Moab and faced the same issue with my slippery cleat shoes. I ended up just ordering a pair of Pearl Izumi X Alp Enduro IIs. While the laces may look cooler, the velcro and strap are hard to beat when it comes to putting shoes on and taking them off.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I really like the X Alp enduro but the velcro was very low quality and didnt stick well. had to return them.
    The mountains are calling and I must go

mtbr member
    Another vote for the Pearl Izumi X-Alp, I have been riding these for a little over a year and love them.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast