Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    mtbr member
    I was just at REI looking at these and came home to find a review.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Porschefan View Post
    On sale at REI. Labor day sale. I have no connection with REI......
    Nice shoes, if they fit.

The Alps line do not fit my feet.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Nice shoes, if they fit.

The Alps line do not fit my feet.
    I had the same experience, as I'm sure I've mentioned before. Tried several versions of the Alps in several sizes, all a terrible fit for me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    It sucks having big feet! I can't seem to find any of the shoes listed in this thread in size 11.5/46. Any suggestions?

OnTheTrailAgain
    Quote Originally Posted by Apexpredator65 View Post
    It sucks having big feet! I can't seem to find any of the shoes listed in this thread in size 11.5/46. Any suggestions?
    My Shimano MT41's are exactly that: 46/11.5
    They fit great. I've walked in them all day at times.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Shimano SH-MT22.... Cant beat the price at $40....

mtbr member
    The Lake mx165 for women are on sale at chainlove.com right now for $40.

mtbr member
    Why do mtb shoes have to look like something that the Power Rangers would wear?

mtbr member
    Cannondale Roam shoes have been serving me well for 5 years +. Never any issues. I can wear these as normal shoes if my commute takes me into pubs or cafes and such without slipping on smooth floors. I have climbed over wet rocks, fallen trees, roadies, etc., without problems. All my friends want a pair, but unfortunately they are not made anymore. If you can find a pair in your size, grab them!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I stick with the shimano cuz I know they fit my narrow feet. I like the looks of those mt41's but I ended up with the shimano mo77 which I like. Tried on the mo77(rubber sole) and the giro carbon at rei and found the nylon sole (giro) is slippery slippery. Also the mo77's can wipe off easy,,, no rough leather to accumilate dust.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Can anyone advise whether the Pearl Izumi's would also be okay for expedition (10 day) adventure races where you are still mountain biking 500km but with sections of hike/bike. I assume still need a pretty stiff shoe for this amount of riding but a good walking sole for the sections over rocks/sand where hike/bike will be necessary. Trying to decide if the PI range is going to be okay for this or if they are more a one day bike/hike shoe?

Any advice apprecaited.

Huffy Rider
    I would. I have been abusing mine for over a year and a half and they are super comfy. I use the ones with the laces for a perfect fit.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Harlie View Post
    Can anyone advise whether the Pearl Izumi's would also be okay for expedition (10 day) adventure races where you are still mountain biking 500km but with sections of hike/bike. I assume still need a pretty stiff shoe for this amount of riding but a good walking sole for the sections over rocks/sand where hike/bike will be necessary. Trying to decide if the PI range is going to be okay for this or if they are more a one day bike/hike shoe?

Any advice apprecaited.
    They would be okay ....... if your feet like them.

I tried them to see, if they can replace my MX165, but the toebox felt weird and the the shoe didn't feel nearly as comfortable(PI have a plasticky feel to them, compared to the MX165), and snug fitting. I have riding buddies that swear by them (and wear them all the time), though.

As a result, I decided to stock on the 165s. Do not regret it.

Last edited by rarekin; 11-24-2012 at 08:58 AM.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by rarekin View Post
    They would be okay ....... if your feet like them.

I tried them to see, if they can replace my MX165, but the toebox felt weird and the the shoe didn't feel nearly as comfortable(PI have a plasticky feel to them, compared to the MX165), and snug fitting. I have riding buddies that swear by them (and wear them all the time), though.

As a result, I decided to stock on the 165s. Do not regret it.

I agree. I tried on PI x-alps with intention to buy but they just did not fit comfortably at all. I scoured the net looking for one more pair of Lake MX165's. The 165's are my all time favorite shoe but they are not light...they are no xc race shoe. I like them so much I bought a hidious roadie racer red pair online b/c it's all I could find. I colored them black with a big Sharpie

Give it a crank
    Lake MX190X shoes have worked great for me. The ratcheting buckle isn't great, it still works, but it's about to fall off any day, after 18 months.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I suggest focusing on something that is affordable and (relatively) more "disposable". You may find that you tear up a $250 pair of shoes in the same amount of time that you tear up an $80 pair of shoes.

The cheaper shoes likely have a more flexible sole anyway (typically made out of a nylon composite, as opposed to fancier materials found in pricier shoes) so they're likely tailor made for your purposes.

Also, I have found that I get "used to" hike-a-biking in traditional XC shoes, and feel that the benefits they afford while pedaling outweigh any benefits to be had from a more "hiking" - designed bike shoe.

My $0.02

mtbr member
    I ride in a pair of Goretex Solomon hikers and a pair of early Merrel Moabs, they have a sticky sole.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    thanks for all the feedback guys will suss these out and let you know how it goes...race isn't till next Sept so have lots of time to get it right.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Rimes

mtbr member
    shimano mt43

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Hello there, this might be a bit weird put how do the lake perform when you are not clipped in? I ride combo pedals and I like to un clip before technical sections, I want to stick to the platform side better.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by model worker View Post
    Hello there, this might be a bit weird put how do the lake perform when you are not clipped in? I ride combo pedals and I like to un clip before technical sections, I want to stick to the platform side better.
    Like crap. Like any shoe with a cleat in it.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5