Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Results 101 to 122 of 122
  1. #101
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mosslager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    21
    I was just at REI looking at these and came home to find a review.

  2. #102
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,241
    Quote Originally Posted by Porschefan View Post
    On sale at REI. Labor day sale. I have no connection with REI......
    Nice shoes, if they fit.

    The Alps line do not fit my feet.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  3. #103
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,031
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Nice shoes, if they fit.

    The Alps line do not fit my feet.
    I had the same experience, as I'm sure I've mentioned before. Tried several versions of the Alps in several sizes, all a terrible fit for me.

  4. #104
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    100
    It sucks having big feet! I can't seem to find any of the shoes listed in this thread in size 11.5/46. Any suggestions?

  5. #105
    OnTheTrailAgain
    Reputation: 2ndgen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,191
    Quote Originally Posted by Apexpredator65 View Post
    It sucks having big feet! I can't seem to find any of the shoes listed in this thread in size 11.5/46. Any suggestions?
    My Shimano MT41's are exactly that: 46/11.5
    They fit great. I've walked in them all day at times.

  6. #106
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    39
    Shimano SH-MT22.... Cant beat the price at $40....

  7. #107
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BitterDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    428
    The Lake mx165 for women are on sale at chainlove.com right now for $40.

  8. #108
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EndoanaJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    59
    Why do mtb shoes have to look like something that the Power Rangers would wear?

  9. #109
    mtbr member
    Reputation: liv2_mountain_bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    143
    Cannondale Roam shoes have been serving me well for 5 years +. Never any issues. I can wear these as normal shoes if my commute takes me into pubs or cafes and such without slipping on smooth floors. I have climbed over wet rocks, fallen trees, roadies, etc., without problems. All my friends want a pair, but unfortunately they are not made anymore. If you can find a pair in your size, grab them!


  10. #110
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    64
    I stick with the shimano cuz I know they fit my narrow feet. I like the looks of those mt41's but I ended up with the shimano mo77 which I like. Tried on the mo77(rubber sole) and the giro carbon at rei and found the nylon sole (giro) is slippery slippery. Also the mo77's can wipe off easy,,, no rough leather to accumilate dust.

  11. #111
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    4
    Can anyone advise whether the Pearl Izumi's would also be okay for expedition (10 day) adventure races where you are still mountain biking 500km but with sections of hike/bike. I assume still need a pretty stiff shoe for this amount of riding but a good walking sole for the sections over rocks/sand where hike/bike will be necessary. Trying to decide if the PI range is going to be okay for this or if they are more a one day bike/hike shoe?

    Any advice apprecaited.

  12. #112
    Huffy Rider
    Reputation: motochick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,384
    I would. I have been abusing mine for over a year and a half and they are super comfy. I use the ones with the laces for a perfect fit.

  13. #113
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by Harlie View Post
    Can anyone advise whether the Pearl Izumi's would also be okay for expedition (10 day) adventure races where you are still mountain biking 500km but with sections of hike/bike. I assume still need a pretty stiff shoe for this amount of riding but a good walking sole for the sections over rocks/sand where hike/bike will be necessary. Trying to decide if the PI range is going to be okay for this or if they are more a one day bike/hike shoe?

    Any advice apprecaited.
    They would be okay ....... if your feet like them.

    I tried them to see, if they can replace my MX165, but the toebox felt weird and the the shoe didn't feel nearly as comfortable(PI have a plasticky feel to them, compared to the MX165), and snug fitting. I have riding buddies that swear by them (and wear them all the time), though.

    As a result, I decided to stock on the 165s. Do not regret it.

    Last edited by rarekin; 11-24-2012 at 08:58 AM.

  14. #114
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,031
    Quote Originally Posted by rarekin View Post
    They would be okay ....... if your feet like them.

    I tried them to see, if they can replace my MX165, but the toebox felt weird and the the shoe didn't feel nearly as comfortable(PI have a plasticky feel to them, compared to the MX165), and snug fitting. I have riding buddies that swear by them (and wear them all the time), though.

    As a result, I decided to stock on the 165s. Do not regret it.

    I agree. I tried on PI x-alps with intention to buy but they just did not fit comfortably at all. I scoured the net looking for one more pair of Lake MX165's. The 165's are my all time favorite shoe but they are not light...they are no xc race shoe. I like them so much I bought a hidious roadie racer red pair online b/c it's all I could find. I colored them black with a big Sharpie

  15. #115
    Give it a crank
    Reputation: Mtn-Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,998
    Lake MX190X shoes have worked great for me. The ratcheting buckle isn't great, it still works, but it's about to fall off any day, after 18 months.


  16. #116
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    97
    I suggest focusing on something that is affordable and (relatively) more "disposable". You may find that you tear up a $250 pair of shoes in the same amount of time that you tear up an $80 pair of shoes.

    The cheaper shoes likely have a more flexible sole anyway (typically made out of a nylon composite, as opposed to fancier materials found in pricier shoes) so they're likely tailor made for your purposes.

    Also, I have found that I get "used to" hike-a-biking in traditional XC shoes, and feel that the benefits they afford while pedaling outweigh any benefits to be had from a more "hiking" - designed bike shoe.

    My $0.02

  17. #117
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hoban's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    417
    I ride in a pair of Goretex Solomon hikers and a pair of early Merrel Moabs, they have a sticky sole.

  18. #118
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    4
    thanks for all the feedback guys will suss these out and let you know how it goes...race isn't till next Sept so have lots of time to get it right.

  19. #119
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    202
    Rimes

  20. #120
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MaTt 93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    13
    shimano mt43

  21. #121
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    5
    Hello there, this might be a bit weird put how do the lake perform when you are not clipped in? I ride combo pedals and I like to un clip before technical sections, I want to stick to the platform side better.

  22. #122
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,031
    Quote Originally Posted by model worker View Post
    Hello there, this might be a bit weird put how do the lake perform when you are not clipped in? I ride combo pedals and I like to un clip before technical sections, I want to stick to the platform side better.
    Like crap. Like any shoe with a cleat in it.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •