Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Something with a bit of flex usually woke better fo hikabike

mtbr member
    I have an over version of the Bontrager Race shoes. Mine have a nice rubble treat and enough flex in the sole to be very comfortable walking. The new version seems to be further away from a hike/bike shoe.

Linky

mtbr member
    I found the Pearl Izumi Endurio II's on Zappos.com for $88, so I went for it. Placed my order for a size 44 (10 mens), and they were shipped one day delivery. I opened them up and was very impressed with the shoe and how it looked and felt. Only problem is, they shipped me size 47 (12 mens), so they obviously didn't fit. Zappos didn't have anymore of this shoe, it sold out, so I just had to get a refund.

I found them again on Amazon.com at $88, ordered size 44, so we'll see what actually shows up.
    The shoe looks and feels awesome, well built, should be an awesome hike-a-bike shoe. I also have a pair of the 2011 Mavic Razor's on the way. I will compare the two and go from there.

I think I'm leaning towards the Pearl Izumi myself...shopping their products, they make good stuff.
    I could become a brand loyal Peral Izumi fan, very soon.
    2011 Trek Fisher Collection X-Caliber
    Looking to upgrade to a Giant, Specialized or Niner.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMc73 View Post
    Zappos didn't have anymore of this shoe, it sold out, so I just had to get a refund.

I found them again on Amazon.com at $88, ordered size 44, so we'll see what actually shows up.
    Very strange, considering Amazon owns Zappos!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BritOnTour View Post
    Very strange, considering Amazon owns Zappos!
    Yeah, I'm curious to what is going to actually show up at my door. Zappos Customer Service said that the shoes shipped from the manufacture, so PI made the mistake when selecting a size 47 to send me.

Either way, if I get a size 44 in hand, I'll be happy. The shoes look and feel really nice. I'm now a PI fan.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by JanBoothius View Post
    Is there a shoe which is equivalent to the 165?

I.
    Not in the Lake lineup I guess. The 85's do not have a Vibram sole, the 170's seem a little lighter, less toe (rand) and heel protection and do not have a Vibram sole either. The 180's (I think) are much like the 165's but with a buckle...those do not show on their website any longer.

It's a shame.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I picked up a pair of silver lake 165 based on this thread. Great fit and a vibram sole to boot. Wanted the black, but the silver are not too flashy.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by jadrum37 View Post
    I picked up a pair of silver lake 165 based on this thread. Great fit and a vibram sole to boot. Wanted the black, but the silver are not too flashy.
    So I just bit the bullet (color-wise) and ordered a pair of 165's in my size. They are the awful red/silver color combo but these things are about to go away forever. Been searching for black or silver for months to no avail. The plan is to run my current Shoe Goo'd pair into the ground and maybe dye the new ones black. I had to order them before they were gone for good. Love these shoes and my current pair has lasted for several years, through many rough, rocky hike-a-biking adventures.

65 bucks!
    Last edited by eatdrinkride; 07-27-2011 at 10:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rbrandow View Post
    I have an over version of the Bontrager Race shoes. Mine have a nice rubble treat and enough flex in the sole to be very comfortable walking. The new version seems to be further away from a hike/bike shoe.

Linky
    Yes, the ones previous are great and just like a hiking shoe made for biking.

I have a pair.....Lite and comfortable.

The new design is closer to a hybrid road/mountain bike shoe.

mtbr member
    Here are some photos of the new 2011 Mavic Razor's...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    thats the last shoe id want for hike a biking

well, maybe slightly before a sidi dragon.
    The mountains are calling and I must go

mtbr member
    Yeah. I'm sending them back. I decided to keep the Pearl Izumi Enduro II's.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I've got a pair of Pearl Izumi X-Alp Lows and really do like them. Picked em up for less than $90 at a LBS. Haven't had them for a long time yet but so far I'm impressed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMc73 View Post
    Yeah. I'm sending them back. I decided to keep the Pearl Izumi Enduro II's.
    I ended up sending back the Enduro II's, because I had Amazon rewards cash, so instead of the $88 Enduro's, which like I said, I returned...I paid $6 for the X-Alp Elites!!! #FTW

Last edited by ChrisMc73; 08-12-2011 at 11:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I've been running a pair of Pearl Izumi Vagabonds since about 2003 and they have treated me very well especially when in Moab and there are technical features that my flatlander skills just cant handle.

I also run a pair of Sidi Spiders that are great for softer, muddier conditions where they can dig in a littel easier.

Just some information too, since about 2008 Pearl Izumi has been owned by Shimano. They bounced around from owner to owner before that and none of them were interested in promoting the brand. Looks like Shimano has really been trying to grow Pearl Izumi into its premium sports specific clothing line. All good things!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by captainmorgan View Post
    I've been running a pair of Pearl Izumi Vagabonds since about 2003 and they have treated me very well especially when in Moab and there are technical features that my flatlander skills just cant handle.

I also run a pair of Sidi Spiders that are great for softer, muddier conditions where they can dig in a littel easier.

Just some information too, since about 2008 Pearl Izumi has been owned by Shimano. They bounced around from owner to owner before that and none of them were interested in promoting the brand. Looks like Shimano has really been trying to grow Pearl Izumi into its premium sports specific clothing line. All good things!
    Thats good to know, I really like my Pearl Izumi products that I've just recently purchased. I'll be looking into their running shoes and clothes as well. I will probably add their new chamios only MTB pant, liner that is like $24-$30, just to have as an extra chamois.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TraumaARNP View Post
    These I just picked up recently; $35.00 at Jenson, btw....

Attachment 627312
    +1! Great shoe on and off the bike. I really looked around to find something I could do some light hiking in and still be stiff enough to ride in and these were the best I came up with. I paid about $55 for them. *Jensen didn't have my size*

mtbr member
    Lake MX170!!!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Another vote for the Lake's , you cannot beat Lake quality , second to none .
    I have been using a pair of Shimano shoes from the late 90's that are very much like the MT52 model, with the mid-top hiking shoe form, which for me works better than the roadie-shoe form almost all mountain bike shoes have. I like how the higher top keeps debris out of the shoe better.

mtbr member
    Shimano MT 52 long term report - Ive worn these for over 4 yrs and reallly love them. The are the most comfortable mt bike shoes I have ever worn, I ride x/c am. I like the high top look and found that the high top protection really saved my ankle. I was on a tight single track and clipped a bush, but hidden behind the bush was the end of a low lying log. I hit the log just at the top of the high top, it hurt like hell and scrapped a chunk of skin, but with out the high top taking the initial impact, I would have had much more severe injuries. I use the Shimano spd w/resin platfforms, The soles are hard so not so good unclipped. but clipped in the feel great. The have stood the test of time, dust and being submerged many times. Originally they were black but now have turned a greyish brown. The soles are still good, but the tops are getting soft the many drownings. I'm going the get the newer Mt 53, which is basically the same except for large cooling vent panels

OnTheTrailAgain
    Shimano MT41
    I love mine.
    Very walkable and stable.
    I feel very secure on trails with them.

OnTheTrailAgain
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan55 View Post
    thats the last shoe id want for hike a biking

well, maybe slightly before a sidi dragon.
    These are the absolute last shoe you'd want for hike a biking!

My Sidi Ergo 2 Vernice (road):

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    shimano MT42..so far so good. walking and on the bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    All the given pics of shoes are superb
    I like all these but especially X Alp enduro.
    Thanks for share.

mtbr member

Pearl Izumi X-Alp Seek IV--on sale at REI ($65)

On sale at REI. Labor day sale. I have no connection with REI......
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash. ~Julie Furtado

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast