Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    BMW 2002, Dodge A100, etc
    Just got a pair of the MT-52 shoes as I was looking for a good shoe that I could ride AM / Freeride / XC with and these are nice shimano shoes for an excellent price. They are good bike / hike shoes too as they don't have that annoying 'cleat crunch' when you are walking around. They are comfortable too. Looking forward to a long ride with them, and I'm not sure about durability, but the price is right and I needed some new kicks and they seem to fit the bill for me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Bonking ... not feelin' well

Ended up calling Lake themselves. According to the customer service lady Lake has discontinued the MX 165's for North America for 2011, saying they want to streamline thier MTB shoe line here to the MX85's and 170's only. So if anybody was considering them you had better go find them soon.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I just got some of the Pearl Izumi X-Alp Seek IV. They are still pretty new so I can't say anything for durability. I really like the hard sole, and they are very comfortable walking around. They look great too.

Give it a crank
    I've had the Pearl Izumi X-Alp Enduro II for a year and they put up with everything here in AZ pretty well. They take a lot of abuse and keep going, I haven't had any major issues, the only flaw I can find is the soles. The soles on these shoes get chewed up too easily in the terrain here.

This is what they look like a year later, after some wear and tear from many hike-a-bikes over abrasive central-AZ terrain. I've decided to go with something with a tougher sole for my next pair of mtb shoes. I've had hiking boots take far more abuse than this and last for many years, I want something just as tough as my hiking boots on my hike-a-bikes. Those Vibram soles on some shoes look promising, still looking, great thread!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Any more experiences with the Enduro oriented Mavics? Specifically the Mavic Mantra?

Short-Change-Hero
    This is exactly the thread I have been looking for. Been riding my bike a lot lately and my lower legs are getting shredded by my Wellgo MG-1s (brand new pins). Anyways, once I find work I will be purchasing clipless setup and wondering what shoes to get. My LBS sells Shimano and Pearl Izumi and I have a Pearl Izumi store nearby so those are my real main choices (refuse to go to the local Spec/Trek shop). As I will be just starting out on clipless is it a better idea to go with the Shiman PD520 pedals or should I just go straight for the Crank Brothers Eggbeaters/Candy's? Where I live is the High Desert so there is lots of sand, loose gravel and sharp rocks that can reek havoc on rubber soles. I love Vibram rubber and actually have been using a pair of their Five Fingers for over a year now, if they made a MTN bike oriented pair I would be all over them. Anyways, I want to make sure that the soles can hold up to the punishment that our great region and put down on these poor shoes. Also, I wear about a 10.5 to 11 shoe (depending on brand/model) so would I be better with a 44 or a 45?
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I recommend the Pearl Izumi X-Alp Enduro with straps and Crank Brothers pedals. I ride the Bend OR trails regularly plus the soft stuff around Portland and my road bike all with the same shoes. I actually use Crank Brother Mallet clipless platform pedals on my mountain bike to make it easier to ride un-clipped in scary bits and to give me some extra support and Candies on my road/cyclocross bike. I find the eggbeaters a little too minimal and like a bigger target to clip in.
    2009 Redline Conquest Pro, 2008 Trek Fuel Ex8
    2007 Kona Cinder Cone utility bike
    Yes I spent too much on bikes.

mtbr member
    5.10!
    CruisenSurly

mtbr member
    what do you guys think of Diadora?

thinking of pickup up the escape

or x-country comp..any input?

Life on a Sandbar
    These I just picked up recently; $35.00 at Jenson, btw....

Best MTB shoes for hike-a-biking?-shimanomt32lmtb.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Northwave Bike & Walks have worked well for me for HAB.

mtbr member
    I'm digging the looks of the Pearl Izumi X-Alp Seek IV Shoe, do you think they would feel good and work well with a new rider who is learning to clip into Crank Brother Eggbeater 3's? Would they ride ok on those pedals? We don't have serious terrain here in Oklahoma and I'm new anyway and riding the easy stuff and paved stuff to get my endurance and legs built up before I start hitting real trails and singletracks. So I don't need the real race type shoe.

How do you keep the laces from getting caught up in the chain, do they tuck away in any special way?

I guess I would be considered a casual rider who wants to do a little walking.

Right now I'm just riding on my cheapo platform pedals, and my Nike SHOX shoes. I'm ready to try to clip in and ride some, so I'm not sure I want a "race ready" type shoe. I just need to transition from my tennis shoes to a shoe that will clip in, so some of these laced type shoes you've all mentioned here are feeling like the right choice. Only problem is there are not a lot of them in my LBS's here in town, so I can't go try them on. I have to research and just purchase online and try...I guess. There are a few of the PI's on Zappo's which has free shipping and returns, that seems to be a good "try it on" program for me. Amazon too, since I'm a Prime customer I can return for free too.

Good info here, thanks everyone.
    Last edited by ChrisMc73; 07-23-2011 at 09:28 AM.
    2011 Trek Fisher Collection X-Caliber
    Looking to upgrade to a Giant, Specialized or Niner.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMc73 View Post
    I'm digging the looks of the Pearl Izumi X-Alp Seek IV Shoe, do you think they would feel good and work well with a new rider who is learning to clip into Crank Brother Eggbeater 3's? Would they ride ok on those pedals? We don't have serious terrain here in Oklahoma and I'm new anyway and riding the easy stuff and paved stuff to get my endurance and legs built up before I start hitting real trails and singletracks. So I don't need the real race type shoe.
    I would stay away from that combo, the shoe is a little flexy and the pedal platform non-existent. I have some x-alp enduro's and don't like riding them with candy pedals, but with mallets they are fine because of the big platform. You might be ok if you are light and just starting out, but in the long run you will be better off with a stiffer shoe or different pedal.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilarider View Post
    I would stay away from that combo, the shoe is a little flexy and the pedal platform non-existent. I have some x-alp enduro's and don't like riding them with candy pedals, but with mallets they are fine because of the big platform. You might be ok if you are light and just starting out, but in the long run you will be better off with a stiffer shoe or different pedal.
    Yeah, I was thinking I might exchange these EB3 pedals for a Shimano SPD, like an XT or something of the sorts. I know two people who swear and love the Eggbeaters but they have also been riding for 14+ years and are more experienced.

I'm really just torn on what I want to buy and start off with. I don't think I need the stiff XC racer type pedal or shoe, but I want to learn to clip in. I know the Shimano's can be adjusted where the Eggbeaters can't. Its all just so hard to do when shopping online.

I understand a nice hard plastic bottom would be better for the Eggbeaters, but I'm really not sure I want that "soccer cleat" type shoe yet. I'm not against exchanging the EB3's, but I went with them due to the 4 points of entry and figuring that would be easy to learn how to clip in on. Maybe I need a Shimano pedal?
    Last edited by ChrisMc73; 07-23-2011 at 05:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hunterc4 View Post
    I just got some of the Pearl Izumi X-Alp Seek IV. They are still pretty new so I can't say anything for durability. I really like the hard sole, and they are very comfortable walking around. They look great too.

What kind of pedals do you ride these shoes with? Do you consider yourself a hardcore rider or casual? Have you had the stiffer, velcro/strap type shoe before, how do you like them compared to these?

mtbr member
    Are the Lake's Eggbeater compatible?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by JanBoothius View Post
    Yes, of course they are.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JanBoothius View Post
    Well, from what I know, the Eggbeaters come with their specified clips, which should mount on any shoe, I'd imagine. If not then I was informed wrong.

I think I'm going to research the XTR vs. EB3s and see what I can find out on an overall pedal. I know that my Trek and Shimano are a match made in marketing heaven, but I love Crank Brothers stuff and these EB3's are nicely built. I just wonder what is better for a beginner...

mtbr member
    The Lake mx165 has caught my eye and I have been casually checking since Spring. Unfortunately it seems the only black ones you can find online are 40, nothing larger. Are there any brick and mortar retailers that stock them?
    Mike
    2011 Moto Fly Pro

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaLL6 View Post
    The Lake mx165 has caught my eye and I have been casually checking since Spring. Unfortunately it seems the only black ones you can find online are 40, nothing larger. Are there any brick and mortar retailers that stock them?
    Yeah same here. I'm a 44 and can't find any to consider.

Life on a Sandbar
    Hence the reason for some uber excellent sales, shoe size availability is for midgets and dwarfs; oh, and little people.

mtbr member
    I think I've decided to go with the Shimano SH-M087 shoe and the XT PD-M785 pedal for my first pedal/shoe combo.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaLL6 View Post
    The 165's have been discontinued.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TraumaARNP View Post
    Hence the reason for some uber excellent sales, shoe size availability is for midgets and dwarfs; oh, and little people.
    Times like this I sometimes wish I was one.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMc73 View Post
    I think I've decided to go with the Shimano SH-M087 shoe and the XT PD-M785 pedal for my first pedal/shoe combo.
    I currently have the exact ones Trauma showed up a few posts. I've had them for about a year and they make my feet hurt. I realize everyone's feet are different which is why I think until I find the right pair I am going back to REI or someplace I can actually try them on.
    Mike
    2011 Moto Fly Pro

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    The 165's have been discontinued.
    Is there a shoe which is equivalent to the 165?

It is listed as "out of stock" on Lake's website... confusing if they are, as you say, discontinued.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast