Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan55
    I really like the X Alp enduro but the velcro was very low quality and didnt stick well. had to return them.

What? that's rediculous. Not doubting you, but I've had 3 pairs... strike that. 4 pairs of x-alps and I've NEVER had an issue with the velcro.

I have had a pair of the Low's for about 5-6 years, and 3 pairs of the Mid's. One pair lasted me 4 years, then with PI's awesome 100% satisfaction lifetime warranty I had them replaced when some side stitching came apart. They sent me a brand new pair for free!!
    Then, I some how left the "new" ones at the top of Noble Canyon in SanDiego after about a year of use so I snagged my 4th pair on closeout. I should have ordered two though since they are no longer made.

Oh, brief spam... I have a brand new pair of 43's that don't fit me. Still in the box. These are the MID's. Would sell if anyone is interested.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by -bb-
    Oh, brief spam... I have a brand new pair of 43's that don't fit me. Still in the box. These are the MID's. Would sell if anyone is interested.
    PM sent

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Mavic Alpines

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    Another vote for the Lake's , you cannot beat Lake quality , second to none .
    Yet another Lake liker here...

Had a strap break (shoes were a year old) they replaced them.

I bought three pairs because I don't want to be SOL if they stop making them. I ride about five days a week and a pair last about 12-14 months.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member

Mavic Mantra

Bought these last year! They seem very tough!
    http://www.mavic.com/en/product/foot...ootwear/Mantra

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazed
    I'm very happy with my Northwave Expedition GTX. Gore Tex, Vibram soles with some actual grip, and stiff enough for trail riding.
    Another vote for Northwave. I bought my BIKE'N WALK Northwave's 2 and a half years ago and they are still going strong with lots of use both on and off the bike.

Lots of grip for walking in mud. This is the new version (same sole)http://www.northwave.com/usa/shoes_d...catid=3&area=3

My oldies
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best MTB shoes for hike-a-biking?-nw1.jpg  

Best MTB shoes for hike-a-biking?-nw2.jpg  

Huffy Rider
    Two Pearl Izumi X-Alp users here. They work awesome here in AZ with all the different kinds of rocks we have to deal with. Super easy to click in, breathe well, comfortable right out of the box.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by motochick
    Two Pearl Izumi X-Alp users here. They work awesome here in AZ with all the different kinds of rocks we have to deal with. Super easy to click in, breathe well, comfortable right out of the box.
    Folks, try 'em on first. I am a long time Lake mx165 wearer and went to REI here in Phoenix last week with every intention of buying X-Alps. Tried on both the Endruro II's and the Seek's in several sizes. Ended up leaving empty handed. I really wanted to like them but the toe boxes just felt awkward and uncomfortable. This isn't new advice. Point being, as great as any shoe might be, it might not fit you personally.

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah
    Give it five months of riding..the rubber will all peel away. Did it on three pairs. No more Shimano shoes for me!
    my shimanos have survived everything from scrambling up rock to getting soaked to being eaten by a dog. idk, maybe im lucky.

mtbr member
    I bought these Adidas b/c I wanted something I could potentially walk in if I had to but also shoes I didn't mind wearing into a restaurant/gas station when I was riding. I think there are newer versions now with velcro but I will definitely be buying another pair of adidas when mine are completely worn out. I got mine on sale for less than $50, can't remember the exact price. Wasn't much less than that though. Also use them with my crank brothers, since you can't tell they are compatible from the pic.

Greystoke
    Shimano FN51
    I'm using these so far they are working out well , they are designed more as an indoor trainer but are very light/comfortable , dry fast when wet or muddy & easy to walk in/clip in.
    I have found a lot of mtb shoes hold water after stream crossings , these tend not to,very breathable.

The boa system could be an issue , but so far they are working well.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=56740

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    +2 more for the X Alp. Wife and I both have a pair. Love them.

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    my shimanos have survived everything from scrambling up rock to getting soaked to being eaten by a dog. idk, maybe im lucky.
    i take that back. i got home for spring break today and looked at the inner left sole part and its pretty much ripped off. and the rest of the rubber is cracking and falling apart. bummer cuz i liked how they fit but no more shimanos for me.

usually cranky
    pic of the carnage. not a great picture but you get the idea. shimano m076.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by mattylt2
    I have been using the same kind of spd mtn bike shoes for years. I finally slipped and broke my ankle on slick rock in Sedona using them. Just a matter of time. It would be great if I could find a stiff soled mtn bike shoe that had some kind of traction other than metal spikes and hard plastic. Thanks for your input.
    The Lake MX165 as mentioned earlier are just that: stiff shoes with grippy soles
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    pic of the carnage. not a great picture but you get the idea. shimano m076.

That is fairly common with any SPD compatible shoe. It is extremely difficult to bond a rubber sole to a hard plastic base and the edges of the cleat pocket are highly stressed areas.

I use FreeSole (like Shoe Goo but much better) to reglue the sole.
    mtbtires.com

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    That is fairly common with any SPD compatible shoe. It is extremely difficult to bond a rubber sole to a hard plastic base and the edges of the cleat pocket are highly stressed areas.

I use FreeSole (like Shoe Goo but much better) to reglue the sole.
    thats a good idea, i was gonna try superglue but i think i will give freesole a shot. but what you cant see in that picture is the rubber is starting to crack. not peel off from the rest of the shoe, just kind of splinter away. i'll try and fix them the best i can but i think getting new shoes soon is enevitable.

mtbr member
    On issue that causes that, IMO is the thickness of the sole around the cleat pocket. The Adidas I mentioned above aren't that thick which is one of the reasons I bought them. I had never had clipless before and had read that if the sole was thick it could be tough to get the Crank brothers into the shoe. Don't know if that's true or not but tried to avoid the issue altogether.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    sixsixone's expert mountain bike shoe is awesome too..

A Baker St. Muse
    I had to repair my Specialized Tahoe shoes with shoe-goo also. So far, they're holding together, 2 years later. Good shoes, I'd recommend them.

usually cranky
    my new spec shoes are built like tanks, cant see the sole falling apart.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    So with all the suggestions for the Lake mx165...any clue on where to find them? I've spent hours on line and can't find anyone who has more that an odd size or two. Lake's own company site only let's you order 4 sizes none of them mine (11/45) any help?

Quote Originally Posted by loopsb
    So with all the suggestions for the Lake mx165...any clue on where to find them? I've spent hours on line and can't find anyone who has more that an odd size or two. Lake's own company site only let's you order 4 sizes none of them mine (11/45) any help?
    Really?
    First place I looked, In stock and on sale
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Thanks Shiggy. I guess that I was searching for black kept me from finding those....but hell, for 59$ I'll roll out the Silver. They'll be dirty soon enough anyway. Much appreciated

mtbr member
    Paid Spam:

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...uct=62631&cat=

Rubber Sole and Boa System...Perfect for those Rocky Hike-A-Bike areas....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast