Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Best helmet under $100?

I am in the market for a new helmet, but also on a budget. I was looking at the Bell Sequence and the Giro Phase. Was just wanting others opinions or suggestions. I have also looked the Fox Flux.

Bicycle Addict
    $100 will buy you a nice helmet. Just get which ever one you think looks the best. Personally, I think functionality difference will be minimal... Unless its like a Walmart brand or something.
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    Believe it or not Walmart carries Bell, Schwinn, and Giro helmets for both children and adults in various styles,and the most expensive I've seen was @ $35.

Ive got no problem bashing WallyWorld but gotta give credit where due.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    Fox Flux IMHO. Great helmet, can be found around $60 if you find it on sale.
    "Wait, this thing doesn't have a motor?" - Socrates

mtbr member
    Been wearing an Urge Enduro-Matic for a few months now....seems people either love 'em or hate 'em....I love it! Super comfy and it's nice having that extra bit of coverage in the back (just like all the reviews say!)

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Gotta throw this in here, the best helmet for under $100 is the one that provides the best fit! Other than than that, style and place of purchase is your choice.

I have a Uvex Xp100 (now the Xp cc) that I really like.

Old & Slow
    Quote Originally Posted by desertred View Post
    Gotta throw this in here, the best helmet for under $100 is the one that provides the best fit! Other than than that, style and place of purchase is your choice.

I have a Uvex Xp100 (now the Xp cc) that I really like.
    Another happy Uvex XP owner. $44.98 at HucknRoll.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    found the fox flux the other day for cheap at blueskycycling.com...$45

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I bought a Bell brand helmet at marshalls for 9.99.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Giro Hex is about $80 retail. So you can find it for less. I'm on my second one, its one of the best helmets for less than $100.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2012 Banshee Spitfire 26er
    2005 Trek Bruiser urban single speed

mtbr member
    May 2012
    As I'm new to biking in general I have to ask this question (and I'm sure it's been covered 1000 different times in just as many different ways).... is there really a different between a LBS and big box store helmet? Besides price... is one safer than the other?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Specialized Deviant! This will keep your face pretty in a crash:

I believe Specialized's website is selling some of these Helmets for $100.00

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SurfaceDreamer View Post
    As I'm new to biking in general I have to ask this question (and I'm sure it's been covered 1000 different times in just as many different ways).... is there really a different between a LBS and big box store helmet? Besides price... is one safer than the other?
    As far as meeting the required safety standards, there should be no difference between the helmets sold at the big box stores and your LBS. However, the helmets at your LBS will generally offer more features and be a lot lighter, which all aid in assuring proper fit and comfort/breathability (depending how you ride). In addition, some of the newer helmets sold by your LBS offer additional protective coverage (additional feature) than the big box store helmets. So, yes, there is a difference, but they all should meet the minimum safety standards. Fit is the most important factor. If it doesn't fit properly, your level of protection just dropped.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks for the clarification. I will be checking out my LBS in the next day or so and will see what they have to offer!

mtbr member
    what ever you get just make sure it has good protection for the back of your head, i can live without being pretty. But i dont want to break the back of my head.
    2012 Giant Reign 1

I'd rather be on my bike
    I just bought my second Bell Slant. I love the fit. Fairly inexpensive as well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Kali Amara XC 31 bucks at hucknroll! Awesome helmet super cheap!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Where are you located? In hot climates, helmets like the Fox Flux and others that drop down close to your upper neck sure get hot. I couldn't survive with a helmet like that where I ride (LA/San Fernando Valley) where temps are routinely above 90 degrees for 4 to 5 months out of the year. I just picked up a Giro Athlon on sale at pricepoint for $70.

Hell Track
    i'm digging my uvex

mtbr member
    Fox Transition... looks great and offers good protection. I just got mine in.

Amazon.com: FOX Transition Hard Shell Helmet: Sports & Outdoors

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I bought a giro indicator helmet but planning on exchanging them for an athlon because my forehead is hurting. Why is that so? Is it better to get one with specific size than the universal size helmet?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I like my Giro Hex, but nothing to compare it too as it is the only one I have owned.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I got a Louis Garneau Exo-Nerv at performance about a year ago. Great helmet IMO.

Just shutup and ride.
    UVEX XP here. Hucknroll has them for $32 now. Awesome fit. Very light.

Master Taster
    Quote Originally Posted by kawi46 View Post
    I am in the market for a new helmet, but also on a budget. I was looking at the Bell Sequence and the Giro Phase. Was just wanting others opinions or suggestions. I have also looked the Fox Flux.
    I have a Bell Sequence and like it, but other than a minor difference in style I can't find any significant difference from my wife's Bell XLV that cost $40. The strap, fastener and adjuster are the same, and the helmets weigh the same.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast