mtbr member
    Nov 2013

... and if we just ... best helmet brand?

Hi all!

My nephew wants a mountain bike helmet for christmas, but I'm not sure the best brand. I want him to have a stylish helmet, but of course, safety comes first.

I'm looking at the SixSixOne helmet right now. Is this a good brand? Can anyone recommend another helmet? He's an intermediate rider.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    SixSixOne does make quality stuff. Lot's of different brands, but more importantly, types of helmets. Depends a lot on the type of riding we're talking about. Is ventilation important? (XC/Trail riding). Or is full-face what you're looking for? (Downhill, etc). Or maybe he's a dirt jumper who just needs basic solid protection. Then there are cross-overs with some of these categories. A local bike shop, if available, could really help you out with this.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Betarad View Post
    SixSixOne does make quality stuff. Lot's of different brands, but more importantly, types of helmets. Depends a lot on the type of riding we're talking about. Is ventilation important? (XC/Trail riding). Or is full-face what you're looking for? (Downhill, etc). Or maybe he's a dirt jumper who just needs basic solid protection. Then there are cross-overs with some of these categories. A local bike shop, if available, could really help you out with this.
    To add to this, fit is very important and if you are buying for another person style.

Fit, they have to properly fit to properly protect you, also if it does not fit well, the person will probably not wear it.

I mention style, since it is for another person, if they do not like the style/looks, they are less likely to wear it.

mtbr member

Re: best helmet brand?

I agree, buying a helmet without trying is not a good idea.
    Different manufacturers, different fits.
    Give him a gift card to a local bike shop and go with him to pick one up :thumbup:

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    I agree, buying a helmet without trying is not a good idea.
    Different manufacturers, different fits.
    Give him a gift card to a local bike shop and go with him to pick one up :thumbup:
    good idea, i'll probably just go with a gift card. thanks for your input everyone!