mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Good job! Best glove ever?? Works in hot and cold weather equally well

I started mountain biking again this past August down here in Arkansas. It was in the high 90's with high humidity and I wore the Giro Bravo LF here glove for padding and protection. I never had to shed it off during long sweaty rides.

Fast forward to winter, and I've worn the exact same glove in 25 degree weather, and again today in low 30's on a snowy trail ride with a misty rain and my fingers stayed perfectly warm. The rides have varied from just about an hour, to almost three hours and still the hands were warm.

p.s. I'm not trying to be a shill for Giro, I just think it's crazy a glove can work in those ranges of temps.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I'm going to try the new mechanix impact glove. Looks to have padding and protection. I just hope it fits well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    it seems most the reviews say they are good for cool weather.
    might try a pair if I find them on sale for around 20.00

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 1362 View Post
    it seems most the reviews say they are good for cool weather.
    might try a pair if I find them on sale for around 20.00
    Saw them on Amazon for a touch under that. Especially if you don't care about color.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I got mine on a fall clearance sale at my LBS for $15 or something like that. Idea man, I used those exact gloves two years ago when I tried to get back into mtb and they worked really really well until the thumb/palm seam ripped. I still keep them around for working on the car and other labor. They just weren't built for that kind of stress I suppose. Probably got about 200 miles out of them before they ripped and I bought the Dakine Concept. All depends on fit I suppose, good luck with them!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by idea man View Post
    I'm going to try the new mechanix impact glove. Looks to have padding and protection. I just hope it fits well.
    I can second mechanic gloves. I've been wearing the lightweight slip-on types for a year because I got sick of my $20 mtb specific gloves falling apart after 2 rides. The mechanix ones have a great tacky grip surface, are much tougher than my mtb specific ones, and also work well in summer temps and cool temps. I think you could end up with frozen digits if you were to try and use them in temps below 35 . . . . but I haven't tested them down that far yet.

mtbr member
    I love mine, I have ridden in 80's to teen's with them with no issue. Best gloves I've had so far!
    13 Banshee Rune, Pushed Fox 36Float RC2, I9 Blunt35's

T1 barcode, pitchfork's, Hazard light's and profile's

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I been rocking some Home Depot Husky work gloves, both full finger and fingerless. $15 a pair, shed sweat, keep hands warm, super comfy. Got some yellow impact work glasses there too, loves me hardware store gear!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Best glove ever?? Works in hot and cold weather equally well

I was actually using some under armor winter gear gloves all year around. Ironically, they didn't do well in cold temperatures but didn't get too hot in the summer. They have held up well so far and they have nice rubber grip pattern as well. I just picked up some Oakley motocross gloves on sale for after my under armor gloves wear out

ready to ride
    Meh I had a pair. My hands were pretty cold in them, granted it was just a bit over 32. Something about them made my palms hurt. The real deal breaker was after two rides the stitching started coming undone. Maybe I just got a junk pair. I bought them at REI so I returned them for some Pearl Izumi cyclones. A rock solid colder weather glove. Had then in the 20s to 50s and good all around. Much warmer than that and they will get hot. I'm ok with that. I will get another pair of Pearl Izumi for the summer as I'm on season 4 with a warmer weather pair which are just now needing to be replaced.

Sorry not dissing on Giro. I have their helmets which are great, just didn't have good luck with thiner gloves and went back to a brand that did work well for me.
    Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I prefer the Xen's. Pretty much the same thing with some light padding.