mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Best chest protection?

I have taken 2 hard spills in as many years. Both times I have broken ribs and had some internal injuries. I'm looking for something to protect my core that will be relatively cool and light. I'm 6ft, 235lbs. Suggestions and experiences are appreciated.

LightJunction.com
    Bowflex

Joking aside, I'd hit a gym. I do light core work once a week to maintain strength...no muscle building. A regular regimen can do wonders for keeping you protected during a crash.

As far as pads go, I used quite a bit of 661's stuff back in the day, but I just can't stand wearing them, so they usually stay in the car unless I'm doing something big/new.
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by epic510 View Post
    I have taken 2 hard spills in as many years. Both times I have broken ribs and had some internal injuries. I'm looking for something to protect my core that will be relatively cool and light. I'm 6ft, 235lbs. Suggestions and experiences are appreciated.

Hi Mr. epic510,

I've had great luck using Rockgardn gear. I've been protected in all the diggers I've taken while using their Flak Jacket:
    Rockgardn Flak Jacket

However it sounds like you'd be interested in their Vest:
    Flak Vest

Good luck in your search and I hope you find something that works for you!

Take care,

Michael
    If you can't keep the rubber side down......at least smile for the camera!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Although I have Fox Titan Jacket,I've found it to be too hot. I wouldn't want to use it in temperatures above 65 degrees.

Fox Titan Sport Jacket - In Stock, Free Shipping

The Titan Jacket has excellent protection and it looks like it would be able to protect you from most types of torso impacts.

When I ride mountain I always wear a Fox Chest Protector. I use the Fox Race Frame chest protector,it's much cooler than the Titan Jacket and can even be used on hot days.

Fox Raceframe Off-Road Roost Deflector - Cycle Gear Review - YouTube

I've already had one torso impact with the Raceframe and I believe it definitely saved me from some sort of shoulder injury. Unfortunately the Raceframe doesn't have any sort of lower back protection so I also wear an Alpine Stars bionic lower back protector however the product appears to have been discontinued.

I would also recommend wearing knee and elbow pads and if you can try to use wrist guards. I think Pro Tec street line is quite good and I can say first hang experience that Protec pads have saved me from alot of injuries. Pro Tec's street pads are great and they're hard too so you can land on rocks or concrete and don't have to worry about whether or not your armor is going to hold up or get to pieces on a hard surface.

Pro-tec Street Knee & Elbow Pads

I'm always amazed that that most riders are willing to spend thousands on their bike but are too cool to spend $60 on a good set of knee,elbow and wrist guards.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Thanks for suggestions. I'm leaning towards the Flak Vest.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Flak vest or light Kevlar; yes bullet proof vest type. Well known in the off road motorcycle community.

mtbr member
    Hard to beat Gothic Plate

=P
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best chest protection?-titulni_544_gothic__breast_plate.jpg  

2012 Giant Reign 1

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Hard to beat Gothic Plate

I can also tell you something else that's hard to beat: staying out of the ER.