Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Deere Rider

Bell Super vs. Giro Feature

Bell Super vs. Giro Feature-20130620_152157.jpgBell Super vs. Giro Feature-20130620_152234.jpgBell Super vs. Giro Feature-20130620_152306.jpgBell Super vs. Giro Feature-20130620_152352.jpg

Here are a few pics comparing a size L Giro Feature and Bell Super. I have not yet ridden in the Super. As you can see, I like boring helmet colors.

I have enjoyed the Feature since last fall. I wish it had better venting...thus the move to the Super. Additionally, I am hoping the Super's pads better handle sweat. With the Feature there is no horizontal padding across the forehead and I get the sweat free flowing down my face and sunglasses in hot weather. I can't stand headbands or anything similar.

I bought the Feature for $35 and the Super for $101.
    Last edited by titusquasi; 06-21-2013 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Changed title to highlight the Super.

Hi There!
    give us a post ride update...i love my fox flux but i'm seriously thinking about that super, thanks.
    NTFTC

Deere Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by thegweed View Post
    give us a post ride update...i love my fox flux but i'm seriously thinking about that super, thanks.
    Ok...this is the real deal.

Just got back from a 100 deg F ride and sweat management was much improved. With the Feature I would have to stop multiple times during a hot ride, press the helmet into my head and squish the sweat out of the pads. Sweat would come pouring out like a faucet and I would then continue the ride. I always had sweat dripping on my sunglasses.

The ride with the Super was great. It has a continuous line of padding horizontally on the forehead. This padding is perforated...I assume to facilitate evaporation. Whatever the reason, it works. I stopped a couple times to press the helmet to my head and see what happened. I never could get any sweat to run out. It must be evaporating better or is being channeled to the rear somehow.

The padding is very comfortable and the coverage is excellent. This helmet is much better than my previous Fox Flux, thegweed. I also experienced poor sweat management with the Flux, FYI.

Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!
    Look forward to further comparison notes. I've got about 5 serious rides on my new Super, the identical helmet as yours, and I'm really enjoying it. The fit is perfect for my head. I really can't offer any reputable comparisons as this is my first "enduro" style helmet and I've been wearing cheap crap previously.

btw....I'm not disappointed in the color of the Super. White makes a whole lotta sense when riding in the heat on our sunny days. I'm liking it!

Deere Rider
    More thoughts. The AM helmets I have had in the last year are the Fox Flux, Giro Feature and now the Bell Super.

Super has the best padding, best sweat management and the best visor. The visor is long and wide and very usable. The visor on the Flux was a joke. The visor on the Feature was ok but was too short and narrow.

The coverage on the Flux was no better than most XC helmets. The Feature has excellent coverage as does the Super. The Super has a bit better coverage around the ears than the Feature.

The Super just has a build level that says "quality".

The Flux is a very distant third. I put the Feature and Super very close. The Super has better venting, padding, visor and build quality. For me the better sweat management alone was worth the Super's price.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by titusquasi View Post
    More thoughts. The AM helmets I have had in the last year are the Fox Flux, Giro Feature and now the Bell Super.

Super has the best padding, best sweat management and the best visor. The visor is long and wide and very usable. The visor on the Flux was a joke. The visor on the Feature was ok but was too short and narrow.

The coverage on the Flux was no better than most XC helmets. The Feature has excellent coverage as does the Super. The Super has a bit better coverage around the ears than the Feature.

The Super just has a build level that says "quality".

The Flux is a very distant third. I put the Feature and Super very close. The Super has better venting, padding, visor and build quality. For me the better sweat management alone was worth the Super's price.
    Do you find that the Bell has a slightly more oblong shape for the head? I've had a Bell once before and liked it because I could fit in a Medium for that reason.
    "Obviously, you're not a golfer."

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    So in conclusion, you get what you pay for?

Deere Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by jmontroy View Post
    Do you find that the Bell has a slightly more oblong shape for the head? I've had a Bell once before and liked it because I could fit in a Medium for that reason.
    I'm not sure...maybe. I tried them on back to back and I don't think I notice a big difference. Although, I did do a bit of "reshaping" in a couple spots in the inside of the Feature with a hammer where I developed hot spots (carefully and calculated, mind you). One of the spots was at the rear so maybe that changed the shape enough to mimic the Super? Again, I don't have anything concrete to offer here.

mtbr member
    Thank you so much for the comparison! I've used a Giro feature for the last 2 years and, while it's a comfortable and durable helmet, I have the same issues with sweat management. Admittedly, I'm stubborn and opt for matte black even though I too ride in 100+F summers.
    I'm looking forward to trying the Super. You're review and pictures were very helpful.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Since this was just bumped I'd like to provide some feedback since I just sold my Feature for the Super. I agree with the Feature holding in a lot of sweat in the forehead pad where I'd have to press the helmet to my head every time I stopped to drain it out. However my one and only ride with the Super did not keep sweat out of my eyes. I don't know whether or not that was due to how cold it was outside (35 degrees) not allowing much evaporation or that it was mostly an uphill ride. Most likely a combo of the two. Verdict is still out for me on sweat management.

What I will say is that it fits so much better to my head. I admittedly have a large dome where the Feature sat so high on my head and looked kind of goofy. The Super sits noticeably lower. digging the visor too!!

I scored a deal at my LBS on the Super for $83 for the Green one; looking forward to putting some more miles with it for a proper shake down.

mtbr member
    After a few rides with the Super, I really like it. The Feature fit fairly well, but the Super feels completely secure. The chin strap actually stays in place and the adjustable harness for the back of the head seals the deal.

I sweat. A LOT. The Feature would drip in my eyes constantly, and the Super does seam to help with the issue, though I did have a few drips on my last ride. The real test will come in the hot and humid summer.

A convenient detail I noticed with my last ride was adjusting for goggles. I ran some Oakley goggles last week because it was 20F, but the goggles and helmet didn't play well with my usual fit. A quick repositioning of the rear harness to lower the back/raise the front fixed it right up.

The matte black finish looks better than the Feature's and the lining is much more comfortable. Heck, even my helmet hair looks better!

Overall, I'm very impressed with the Super.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I wear a feature, and just checked out a super in person. To me, the super felt quite a bit cheaper, the plastic felt quite flimsy in comparison. The added cost over the Feature seems unnecessary, even with the better venting.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluidworks View Post
    I wear a feature, and just checked out a super in person. To me, the super felt quite a bit cheaper, the plastic felt quite flimsy in comparison. The added cost over the Feature seems unnecessary, even with the better venting.
    That's interesting because I had the complete opposite reaction! Super seemed better quality in every way.

mtbr member
    Where did you find the Feature for $35?
    I am looking for a new helmet to replace my flux.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I got my feature for $50 on amazon.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Feature 2014

Ordered the feature 2014 from jensonusa for $75. Is there any differences from the older features put out by giro? Also picked up a 2012 giro surface mountain helmet for $16 for sh!ts and giggles as well. I hear it works well in winter months.

Stand back
    You guys with sweat issues must be in more humid climates than Denver. I've had my Feature for a season now, have been happy with the venting and have no more issues w/ sweat than in my other helmets (Flux, Xen).
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser View Post
    You guys with sweat issues must be in more humid climates than Denver. I've had my Feature for a season now, have been happy with the venting and have no more issues w/ sweat than in my other helmets (Flux, Xen).
    Definitely more humid than Denver!
    I'm in East Texas, where I'm not sure which one of us gets more air- you with the altitude, or me with the choking high humidity. As I get stronger and faster, the increased airflow does help, but there's not much one can do about that during summers here. My Feature would soak and I'd have to squeeze the water out with my thumb, as described by others above. The true test for the Super will come in a few months when humidity and heat index jump up again.

Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure I'd be faster on the front range with less swampy air/water resistance

Stand back
    Quote Originally Posted by PeytonP View Post
    Definitely more humid than Denver!
    I'm in East Texas, where I'm not sure which one of us gets more air- you with the altitude, or me with the choking high humidity. As I get stronger and faster, the increased airflow does help, but there's not much one can do about that during summers here. My Feature would soak and I'd have to squeeze the water out with my thumb, as described by others above. The true test for the Super will come in a few months when humidity and heat index jump up again.

Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure I'd be faster on the front range with less swampy air/water resistance
    You got a lot of climbing in East Texas?
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    My Feature saved my life when I got hit by a car. Dont think Ill ever use anything else.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I have a Super - comfortable, well vented, great features - can't recommend it enough!
    2014 Trek Fuel Ex 5 29er
    2014 Trek Superfly 6
    2014 Trek X-Caliber 5 (for sale)
    2014 Scott Aspect 740 (650b)

mtbr member
    I got a feature last year for 50. Great lid for the price, but venting is not it's best, errr... feature. Love the looks though classy nut minimal, best looking helmet for me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Super helpful comparison thanks for your thoughtful notes!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I had my Bell Super about Six months now. I like the fit, as far as venting goes I will never be happy. I get hot and sweaty easy. I just started wearing a Halo sweat band and the helmet still fit good.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I purchased the Super on last Saturday and am very happy with it. I'm coming from a Bell Alchera (road helmet) that was doing double duty.

With the Super...
    The size and easy re-positioning of the visor is a huge selling point for me, it's truly functional for addressing the sun here in the desert. I also really like the go-pro mount. I plan to rig up a headlight mount that will screw into the go-pro attachment.

As mentioned above, venting and sweat management is above average. both are an improvement over my Alchera. I've not weighed the Super but it feels lighter in the hand and on my head than the Alchera.

Fit is a very subjective thing but this is the first bicycle helmet I've owned that I forget I'm wearing while I'm wearing it. It's important to note the super is more-adjustable than my Alchera there are multiple potions for the rear, adjustable band to be positioned in addition to the adjustment of that band.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast