Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Ride in heat
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    My thoughts, too.

I tried the TLD A1 on, side by side with the Super. They both had identical headshape though the TLD was a combination size as Md/Lg while the Bell was individually sized as a Med or a Large. The Bell's suspension system has 3 different depth adjustments as well as the headband twist adjustment. I'm guessing the depth adjuster feature was perhaps overlooked?
    Nope, no overlooking here. I weared the Super set up to the deepest of three positions. I recon if the large deep is slightly less deep then A1, then the small wouldn't sit on my head at all.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    The 3 positions just adjust the fore/aft tilt of the helmet.

Ride in heat
    May 2012
    Then I don't know what you mean. I see 4 anchor points for the retention system in my Bell Super - 2 on the sides and 2 on the back. 2 on the sides are non adjustable, though I just drilled through the plastic band to make the helmet stable on the head. 2 on the back have 3 different positions one above the other. It is set on the highest whole, mean the deepest sitting on the head. If you move the system lower 1 or 2 wholes down - the helmet raises above the head, becomes more shallow, and naturally tilts forward.

mtbr member
    Anyone running a light on this helmet? I use a gloworm X2 and it looks like the position of the vent used to mount the gopro would make it difficult to center the light. I might be able to use a longer strap but that may affect the fit of the lid.

Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketchemo View Post
    Anyone running a light on this helmet? I use a gloworm X2 and it looks like the position of the vent used to mount the gopro would make it difficult to center the light. I might be able to use a longer strap but that may affect the fit of the lid.
    I run a MagicShine clone on mine. I am using the GoPro mount with a small adapter that vancbiker built on a CNC machine. Works like a charm. Light is centered just fine.

Thread: MagicShine GoPro Replacment Mount

Ride in heat
    May 2012
    I ran standard Dinotte lighting helmet mount without any problem on the Super.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I have a nite rider light mounted on mine without any problem.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aba Grizzly View Post
    I ran standard Dinotte lighting helmet mount without any problem on the Super.
    Yup I run a XLM-3 on mine no problem, I've actually found it will fit 2 different way as well.
    13 Banshee Rune, Pushed Fox 36Float RC2, I9 Blunt35's

T1 barcode, pitchfork's, Hazard light's and profile's

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Great discussion! I need to find a good helmet. I need to try one of these on. My last helmet purchase was a "penny wise and pound stupid" closeout sale deal from REI that seemed like a winner until I received the helmet and tried it on.

It is a Bern Watts EPS in XL, and it is too wide and short for my head. Very loose on the sides, and way too tight front-to-back. Blew my mind that an XL would be too short for my head. IMHO, my my head is normal, therefore that Bern Watts helmet must be funny shaped.

My other helmet is a cheap Trek that I only wear in hot weather, as it is too cool/cold for riding in temps under 50. Beanie doesn't fit well under it, and its not really the look I like to wear for ever day riding. Its mainly an urban commuting helmet, as I have it completely covered with reflective stickers and tape. Night riding, it makes me look like an alien when I'm in the headlights.

Apparently, my cranium falls into the narrow oval category. Guess I'm not doing my skull-shortening exercises. I need a helmet with no issues, so that I'll wear the dang thing every time I go for a ride. Lately, I've just been wearing an old wool ski cap, as the temps have been mainly in the mid 40's here (mild winter so far this year, after that cold snap back in Dec).

I hope one of the bike shops that I go to has one of these Bell Super Helmets for me to try. I like the looks of it, and the reviews sound good. I'll have to phone around and ask until I find a shop with some in stock.

mtbr member
    FWIW I'm still riding and its been in the teens here. I wear a thin under helmet skullcap that comes down over my ears and I'm fine. I always bring with a nice thick beanie incase but I've been fine all winter. My head has never been the part of me to get cold riding in these temps.
    13 Banshee Rune, Pushed Fox 36Float RC2, I9 Blunt35's

T1 barcode, pitchfork's, Hazard light's and profile's

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I'm planning to get a Sweat Vac skull cap. I liked the reviews.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Dear PlutonicPlague, my son recently sold his 661helmet and purchased a new superbell in a known bikeshop in Melbourne Australia. He fitted and liked the bell helmet because of the shape of his head skull. And he was lucky to buy it at sale price of 100$ aus.Just the same same my advised is fit it first before buying.
    Quote Originally Posted by PlutonicPlague View Post
    Great discussion! I need to find a good helmet. I need to try one of these on. My last helmet purchase was a "penny wise and pound stupid" closeout sale deal from REI that seemed like a winner until I received the helmet and tried it on.

It is a Bern Watts EPS in XL, and it is too wide and short for my head. Very loose on the sides, and way too tight front-to-back. Blew my mind that an XL would be too short for my head. IMHO, my my head is normal, therefore that Bern Watts helmet must be funny shaped.

My other helmet is a cheap Trek that I only wear in hot weather, as it is too cool/cold for riding in temps under 50. Beanie doesn't fit well under it, and its not really the look I like to wear for ever day riding. Its mainly an urban commuting helmet, as I have it completely covered with reflective stickers and tape. Night riding, it makes me look like an alien when I'm in the headlights.

Apparently, my cranium falls into the narrow oval category. Guess I'm not doing my skull-shortening exercises. I need a helmet with no issues, so that I'll wear the dang thing every time I go for a ride. Lately, I've just been wearing an old wool ski cap, as the temps have been mainly in the mid 40's here (mild winter so far this year, after that cold snap back in Dec).

I hope one of the bike shops that I go to has one of these Bell Super Helmets for me to try. I like the looks of it, and the reviews sound good. I'll have to phone around and ask until I find a shop with some in stock.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Thanks for the recommendation, Silanganmarine. I'm not buying another helmet (nor any shoes, etc) without first trying them on.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    So I called up the nearest "LBS" (54 mile round trip from my place) and asked if they carried the Bell Super Mountain Biking helmet, as i want to try one on for fit and feel. Nope! They are no help at all. They have yet to carry any of these in their inventory. They are probably trying to push what they already have in stock. I may visit the shop and try on what they do carry (some other Bells, some Giros, some Bontragers), to see if there is anything that I like. But I probably won't buy any helmet until after I try on the Bell Super. Actually, I don't even want to spend the $6 on gas and waste the time to go in there and back unless they already have what I want. (This is the main reason that I often buy from Universal Cycles. Far less hassle!!!)

I'm going to visit my Dad pretty soon, and I'll get to check out the better inventoried shop near him. That shop is 155 miles from here, but only a couple of miles from my Dad's house.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5