Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by veryavgwhtguy View Post
    I was going to write out a well-reasoned retort to all the compelling arguments against returning the helmet. But, then I remembered I don't need to justify my actions to the internet.

Regardless, future Bell Super buyers, heed my cautionary tale and know that the padding compresses and changes the fit.
    I pull most of the foam padding out of my helmets. If they do not fit reasonably well without it (or by using the head clamp), the basic fit is not there in the first place.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Ride in heat
    May 2012
    Love the helmet, but have the same problem as some here. I'm on the lower scale of fitting, which means I bought large, but after few rides either I lost some weight, or the padding compressed - the helmet feels loose today.

Now the question - is there any way to tighten the helmet? Add padding, cut plastic - I'm ready to do anything.

Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!
    I wear a SweatVac Ventilator Cap under my lid. Not because my Super fits loose, but because it works as good sweat management and helps keep the helmet from getting all funky. I do this with my Arai motorcycle helmets, as well. The SweatVac will take up some space so I have to run the Super helmet adjustment a bit loose to fit over it. You won't know it's there otherwise. It keeps my head cooler on the hot rides, too. Win win. You might consider one to take up the slack.

Ventilator Cap | Headwear | SweatVac Performance Wear

Name:  Sweatvac-Ventilator-White-Red.png
Views: 753
Size:  116.1 KB

Ride in heat
    May 2012
    First of all - thank you. I thought 'bout it, but we don't have it here, and the ones that we do have - they are too heavy for our climate.

However, I have to ask two questions:
    1. How it performs in extreme hot riding conditions? I ride when it's 40 degrees outside sometimes - is that bearable with this yarmolka on the head?
    2. I also have long hair, which can cause this thing to slip up. Or isn't it?

Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!
    I've bought several SweatVacs and all through their site online. They're hella-fast at processing and shipping. A lot of my rides here in CA these past months have been middle to late in the day, 90 give or take, rides. It's designed for that. It works similar to a good bike jersey by wicking moisture and evaporating it off. The Super has sufficient ventilation to allow the SweatVac to do just that. As for cold, I can't see that being an issue, either. As for long hair, you're on your own with that. I have a full head of hair but I keep it high and tight.

mtbr member
    Many people using the Sweat Buster have reported "better helmet fit"....do a search on it...

I do have the Bell Super as well and it is for sure on the large side.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Just got a Bell Super in black/white stripe.

My previous helmet was a Bell XLV.

Actually, the shape of the Super is similar to my 2nd ever helmet back in the early 90's before wearing helmets became the law here.

The Super fits well and I can tune it to fit bare headed or with a sweat band, just like the XLV.
    I like the decent, adjustable peak, side and back coverage and lack of sticky outy "aero" back end. I'm also a heavy GoPro user...

Also, my favorite motorbike helmets are both open face, with peaks.

I'd like to think that if Steve McQueen rode mountain bikes, a black with white stripe Bell Super would be on his head...

Ride in heat
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Aba Grizzly View Post
    Now the question - is there any way to tighten the helmet? Add padding, cut plastic - I'm ready to do anything.
    An update - I succeeded to work it out with 2 additional screws. I have shortened the plastic band by 1.5 cm on each side - now the helmet fits perfectly. This kind of customization would work for any kind of tightening to smaller sizes.

MarkyMark
    My Super was really loose (bad over rough terrain and jumps) and I was tempted to shorten the straps. I'm glad I found this thread. I ordered a Sweat Buster and put it behind the front pad. It works perfectly!

It was cold (~40degF) this weekend and I think the Sweat Buster kept my head a bit warmer. It also helped soak up the the sweat that would normally run down my face. The Super's pads are really, really thin and don't have much capacity.

I'm in the Bay Area so I got it fast (via mail) and it's good to support a local manufacturer.

Quote Originally Posted by RipRoar View Post
    Many people using the Sweat Buster have reported "better helmet fit"....do a search on it...

I do have the Bell Super as well and it is for sure on the large side.

Bell Super Helmet

An update - I succeeded to work it out with 2 additional screws. I have shortened the plastic band by 1.5 cm on each side - now the helmet fits perfectly. This kind of customization would work for any kind of tightening to smaller sizes.
    No, you have managed to stabilize the helmet on your head. It still does not fit well.
    A helmet needs to fit the head closely and be stable without the use of head clamps to be effective, unlike this:
    mtbtires.com

The Original Suspect
    If you have to modify a helmet to fit, then you bought the wrong size! My Super fits great with or without a headband or skull cap. Zero movement or play ever.

Bell Super Helmet

Quote Originally Posted by HitmenOnlyInc View Post
    If you have to modify a helmet to fit, then you bought the wrong size! My Super fits great with or without a headband or skull cap. Zero movement or play ever.
    ...and/or wrong model.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by HitmenOnlyInc View Post
    I think that is a tough statement to justify when sizing is so blanketed like "XS / Sm, Medium / Large". They are basically saying they can fit a wide range of heads, per size.

How can you expect it to be perfect when it is meant to fit a RANGE of sizes?

Manufacturers should make dedicated XS, Small, Medium, Large, XL, etc.

I agree, major mods would be a red flag though, but I think MTB helmet sizing is kinda ridiculous. I tried on a Med/Lg at the dealer and it did feel good, but....

Bell Super Helmet

Quote Originally Posted by KGAmoto View Post
    I think that is a tough statement to justify when sizing is so blanketed like "XS / Sm, Medium / Large". They are basically saying they can fit a wide range of heads, per size.

I agree, major mods would be a red flag though, but I think MTB helmet sizing is kinda ridiculous. I tried on a Med/Lg at the dealer and it did feel good, but....
    By trying on many different brands and models. The XS-XL sizing makes good fit more possible, unlike the one size fits all(most nobody) lids.
    I expect basic helmet fit to be near perfect. I need to try on many helmets to find it, sometimes even different helmets of the same model and size. If I want to use a sweatband or hat under the helmet I wear those when checking.
    If a helmet is not stable and comfortable on my head without using the straps or head clamps, it does not fit. They only make it more secure, not "correct" a poor helmet shape.
    mtbtires.com

Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!
    FYI, the Super IS sized in S, M, L.

mtbr member
    I've spoke to dozens of people over the past year or so about various helmets and how they fit and their function. I can tell you for sure many people struggle with a comfortable helmet, mostly due to an odd shaped head. Many of these people have tried on several brands and sizes with similar results.

I have no data to back it up but just from my own observation it is people with narrow heads have the most complaints.

In many cases just some extra or less material in the proper location solves the problem. Many helmets actually still do come with thick and thin pads just for this reason.

The Original Suspect
    Quote Originally Posted by KGAmoto View Post

I don't think it's difficult at all. Bell in this case does make sm, med, large in the Super. It has an adjustable band for fine tuning the fit. It is true that for some Bell models as well as some other brands the range of sizes goes sm/med, med/lg. But there again, I have not seen helmet in many years without internal adjustability. I currently have two Bell and one Giro helmet. While I like the fit of the Bell's better than Giro and this has been the case for many years, I can still get a good comfortable fit from Giro. When shopping for the Super I first tried the med because that was the size of the other Bell I own. I got a great fit instantly but also tried sm and large for comparison.

Shiggy your are correct in that it may not only be the size but the model as well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Since Chad McQueen has licensed the McQueen name to Troy Lee Designs, and TLD makes a few McQueen helmets, I am sure he would ride a TLD A1 Helmet.
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    Just got a Bell Super in black/white stripe.

My previous helmet was a Bell XLV.

Actually, the shape of the Super is similar to my 2nd ever helmet back in the early 90's before wearing helmets became the law here.

The Super fits well and I can tune it to fit bare headed or with a sweat band, just like the XLV.
    I like the decent, adjustable peak, side and back coverage and lack of sticky outy "aero" back end. I'm also a heavy GoPro user...

Also, my favorite motorbike helmets are both open face, with peaks.

I'd like to think that if Steve McQueen rode mountain bikes, a black with white stripe Bell Super would be on his head...

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by stiksandstones View Post
    Since Chad McQueen has licensed the McQueen name to Troy Lee Designs, and TLD makes a few McQueen helmets, I am sure he would ride a TLD A1 Helmet.
    As long as it was as plain as possible...

Ride in heat
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    No, you have managed to stabilize the helmet on your head. It still does not fit well.
    A helmet needs to fit the head closely and be stable without the use of head clamps to be effective, unlike this:
    Well, you were right. Went from Bell Super, which I got in too large size for my head, to TLD A1, which I got exactly for my size. Totally different. A1 sits firmly on the head, with great coverage and close fit. Thank you for the kick in the ass, otherwise I'd continue to ride with a bucket on my head...

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Well, you were right. Went from Bell Super, which I got in too large size for my head, to TLD A1, which I got exactly for my size. Totally different. A1 sits firmly on the head, with great coverage and close fit. Thank you for the kick in the ass, otherwise I'd continue to ride with a bucket on my head...
    Why didn't you get a Bell Super in your correct size?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    it is impt. to fit the right helmet before buying. common problem on buying on line

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!
    My thoughts, too.

I tried the TLD A1 on, side by side with the Super. They both had identical headshape though the TLD was a combination size as Md/Lg while the Bell was individually sized as a Med or a Large. The Bell's suspension system has 3 different depth adjustments as well as the headband twist adjustment. I'm guessing the depth adjuster feature was perhaps overlooked?

Ride in heat
    May 2012
    I got Bell in Large. But this Large was so large for me, that I even if I took medium, it still would be too large... Now, I didn't want to get down to small, 'cos I didn't know how it would fit my head, and what coverage it has. Besides, I alzo compared the coverage vs A1, and A1 has more coverage. After I got the A1, I find out that I was right, because it does have more coverage, it does sit better on the head, the build quality slightly better, and the most important - its retention system works much better with long hair...

Ride in heat
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Silanganmarine View Post
    it is impt. to fit the right helmet before buying. common problem on buying on line

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
    Exactly. Since I can't try and fit before both due to moral reasons and because we simply don't have these companies representatives in the country. All we have is Fox Flux and 661 Recon as to fill an AM niche...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast