Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Heard that mentioned by my friend just yesterday. I wear protective eyewear with a pretty standard width of temple and have absolutely no problem at all. My friends info was that those that are wearing some type of Oakley sunglasses with some funky temple are the problem. Perhaps karma strikes those that spend ridiculous amounts of money for fashionista styling that cost .89 cents to produce.

I agree with you about overpriced glasses. I'm using Performance frames, so it's only $20 to get a different style. Hopefully that does the trick. I was just wondering if anyone else was running into problems.
    Both the Bell and TLD are great helmets. I really want to get one to work with my head.

26 ain't dead
    I just picked a Medium helmet yesterday and love it. Also replaced an aging Giro Xen. Fit's a lot better and also fits better with my Smith Pivlock glasses then the Xen did. I also thought about getting the TLD but my Bell Moto 8 dirt bike helmet has also served me well so went for the Super. Plus the LBS had it in stock!

MTBR Member
    Maybe it's just me, but the liner on the Super does not hold sweat very well. I've been using Bell Variants for the last few years and those are much better in that aspect. I'll either have to go with a sweatband(never done this) or shelve it until it cools down a bit.

mtbr member

Re: Bell Super Helmet

Quote Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post
    I agree with you about overpriced glasses. I'm using Performance frames, so it's only $20 to get a different style. Hopefully that does the trick. I was just wondering if anyone else was running into problems.
    Both the Bell and TLD are great helmets. I really want to get one to work with my head.
    I had the fit problem with combination TLD A1 + Oakley Radar switchlock.
    The temples on A1 reach low and the glasses did not stay secured.
    I have found a solution though.
    I squeeze the glasses under the adjustable plastic retainer, which holds the helmet firm on head. Before I tried to leave the glasses on the top of it, but that caused them to slip.
    I also use head caps, which might help with the fit, since the glasses are not pressed directly to my ears.
    So at the and I am a happy owner, the A1 is very comfortable.
    I advice to try any helmet with glasses you are planning to wear before you buy. Play with the fit, it took me 3 tries before I figured how to make it work...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I've been using the Super for about a month or so now, took a header into a tree with my Giro Feature exactly one week before it was a year old. The Super is obviously the next evolution of the Feature and a big leap forward. The fitment is a huge improvement and is secure and snug without being tight. My Oakley Half Jackets don't fit well with the temple protection, I've tried the Oakley Flak Jackets and Half Jacket 2.0s and they both fit perfectly under the helmet. I haven't used the go pro mount yet, but it looks like a well executed idea.

Overall I've been really happy with the Super, it's everything I liked about the Feature but with nicer finishing touches and better venting.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    It's a really nice looking helmet, but it's already BEHIND the latest evolution in helmet safety, the "MIPS" standard. The POC Trabec Race helmet is one mtb helmet I was able to find that has it. There may be others, as well.
    Head injuries are a complicated thing.
    POC Trabec Race MIPS Helmet from Bike Bling
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Just picked up the Bell Super last week and had a couple hours of riding to test it out. Very happy with the fit. With my rounder dome, I fit Giros and Bell a bit better. Tried the POC's and seems those are more for the narrow headed. I usually get pretty hot headed but with all the vent holes, had a constant breeze keeping me cool. I didn't find the pads too thin. I adjusted the straps in the bathroom mirror prior to riding and even cut some of the unnecessary slop to keep the ends from flapping around. Make sure to slowly heat the edges with a small flame so they don't continue to fray. It was set and forget, with no movement whatsoever.

Overall, nice helmet. Only downside is somewhat high price but if I can get a few years out of it, it will be well worth it.

The Original Suspect
    Quote Originally Posted by ncfisherman View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but the liner on the Super does not hold sweat very well. I've been using Bell Variants for the last few years and those are much better in that aspect. I'll either have to go with a sweatband(never done this) or shelve it until it cools down a bit.
    I ride with on of these: Halo Halo V Headband at REI.com

I don't even notice it's there and it works very well at keeping sweat out of my eyes.

The Original Suspect
    I have about a couple dozen rides or so with my Super. I still maintain it is the best fitting helmet I have had. I barely notice it's there and I find the ventilation to be more than adequate even during rides in the Az heat.

mtbr member
    I've had mine awhile now and it works well. Fit is good, its holding up great, works great with the Gopro on top or my XLM3.

I wear either Oakley Gascan's or Dragon Rake's with no issue's.
    13 Banshee Rune, Pushed Fox 36Float RC2, I9 Blunt35's

T1 barcode, pitchfork's, Hazard light's and profile's

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    I had the fit problem with combination TLD A1 + Oakley Radar switchlock.
    The temples on A1 reach low and the glasses did not stay secured.
    I have found a solution though.
    I squeeze the glasses under the adjustable plastic retainer, which holds the helmet firm on head. Before I tried to leave the glasses on the top of it, but that caused them to slip.
    I also use head caps, which might help with the fit, since the glasses are not pressed directly to my ears.
    So at the and I am a happy owner, the A1 is very comfortable.
    I advice to try any helmet with glasses you are planning to wear before you buy. Play with the fit, it took me 3 tries before I figured how to make it work...

Great tip. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    For those that have this helmet, does the over brow venting actually work and make a difference?

Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!
    It's working quite well for me and the ventilation is very good. I just rode today at the hottest time of the day which is typical for me, 80-85 temps in the late afternoon. I have no overheat issue whatsoever and that's been the case up to about 95 so far.

The Original Suspect
    I agree! I have the all matte black version and I rode mid-day in 90+ heat.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I've been riding with Super for about 3 months. I find it to be light and comfortable, I hardly notice it is there most of the time. I've ridden a few 100+F days here in New Mexico and haven't noticed it being hot. The only thing I feel could make it better is concussion protection like MIPS. My next helmet may be a Scott Stego for the MIPS protection.

I went with the blue, black seemed like it would be hotter.

I like bloody ankles
    I haven't noticed the brow vent to do anything more than other well vented helmets, but I also wear a Halo headband so the incoming air may be blocked. I can say the Super runs as cool as any other helmet I've worn - mostly fox flux and older Giro's and Bell's.

mtbr member
    I just bought a large Super, and have taken it on two rides so far. Great helmet, and everything I expected. However, I was at the smaller end of the range for the Large size. Now the padding has compressed so that the helmet is too big and wobbles around. (It fit fine the night before when I wore it around the house for an hour.) Luckily, I bought it from a retailer that has a no-questions-asked return policy, and have ordered a Medium from the same retailer to replace it.

MTBR Member
    Quote Originally Posted by veryavgwhtguy View Post
    I just bought a large Super, and have taken it on two rides so far. Great helmet, and everything I expected. However, I was at the smaller end of the range for the Large size. Now the padding has compressed so that the helmet is too big and wobbles around. (It fit fine the night before when I wore it around the house for an hour.) Luckily, I bought it from a retailer that has a no-questions-asked return policy, and have ordered a Medium from the same retailer to replace it.
    Returning a helmet that you've worn on two rides? That's kinda whack.

The Original Suspect
    Quote Originally Posted by ncfisherman View Post
    Returning a helmet that you've worn on two rides? That's kinda whack.
    I agree...fit it before you buy it!

I work at REI and people bring back everything from warn underwear to energy food and everything in between.

mtbr member
    It was posted on here in this thread they run a bit big, it quoted below. Maybe you should have checked first...

Returning a helmet you wore a few times is shifty.

Quote Originally Posted by 94krawler View Post
    I've been riding my Enduro since right after they were released. I have had no issue's with it and ride with it 2-3 times a week. I did order a large cause thats what Bell's sizing chart says fit's me but exchanged it for a Medium for a better fit.
    13 Banshee Rune, Pushed Fox 36Float RC2, I9 Blunt35's

T1 barcode, pitchfork's, Hazard light's and profile's

mtbr member
    I was going to write out a well-reasoned retort to all the compelling arguments against returning the helmet. But, then I remembered I don't need to justify my actions to the internet.

Regardless, future Bell Super buyers, heed my cautionary tale and know that the padding compresses and changes the fit.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Bought this helmet over a month ago before hitting the McKenzie river trail in Oregon. Wore it for over 7 hours on that ride and it was comfortable, cool and offered excellent coverage. I haven't regretted the buy in the least. To be honest for the design/coverage it's fairly light and you forget your wearing it. The strap system is well built and functional, the fit is adjustable due to the dial adjustment band, and the ventilation is adequate...not too hot for the summer Boise Foothills which get rather warm. If (when) I bust it, I'll replace it with the same model without hesitation.

The Original Suspect
    I was going to write out a well-reasoned retort to all the compelling arguments against returning the helmet. But, then I remembered I don't need to justify my actions to the internet.

Regardless, future Bell Super buyers, heed my cautionary tale and know that the padding compresses and changes the fit.
    I think you just made a bad purchase from the get go. Bought wrong size, no big deal, it happens. The best choice you made was purchasing from a retailer that you could return to. As for the padding. I'll have to disagree with you. I have ridden with this helmet all summer and still find it to be just as comfortable as the day I bought it. No compression of the padding what so ever. The padding in this helmet isn't very thick and not much to compress anyway.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Mine fits well. Very comfortable MTB - I guess if they fit, they should be comfortable as well.

Love it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have been wearing a Fox Flux for a few seasons (2 different ones). I see a TON of people wearing the Bell Super out on the trail, and after trying it on at the LBS, I was really impressed. For me, it was really comfortable, had a great fit and I dig the fact that it *seems* to offer a little more coverage than most of the AM-oriented helmets.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast