Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    aka: Bucky Fikes

Bell Super 2R. It's Official!

It's official. Like I promised, I'd have one of the first when they came out. This is the first one to walk out of Art's Cyclery on someone's head.

I'm likin' it already. I'll add to this post when I get to my laptop in a bit. She rides tomorrow and downhills "Just Outstanding" in Kernville on Sunday.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bell Super 2R. It's Official!-20141120_185913.jpg  

Bell Super 2R. It's Official!-20141120_185927.jpg  

Bell Super 2R. It's Official!-20141120_185956.jpg  

Bell Super 2R. It's Official!-20141120_190052.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Cool. My brother has one coming tomorrow. Same color. We have the same size noggin so I'll be able to check it out thoroughly.

beater

You wore it out of the store?

Coming from a Bell Super for a year and half now (and I love it), there are some subtle fit "feeling" differences but it's true to the sizing and head shape of the original "Super". I'm at the edge of Medium and Large. Medium does it well for me, Large fits but has too much volume in the shell for my head shape .

One of the nuances I noticed immediately was the firm but flexible rubberized pads that are new to the Super. They noticeably rest on the "corners" of me noggin. My immediate response was "deal breaker!" but I continued to play with adjustments while in the store and after keeping it on my head, my noggin settled into that pad. I think I was anticipating an identical fit and feel of the Super that I wear almost every day so it was just a bit of a shock. I'm good with it, now. I'll be on a group ride tomorrow with our trail organization and the 2 IMBA Trail Care Crew leaders that are here for our big trail build training seminars on Saturday. I'll be rolling chinless, though.

Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    You wore it out of the store?
    Yep, walked out and jumped on the waiting little, yellow short bus. Derp!

No, actually I carried it out in the box but this was the first one the crew on the floor has delivered. I'd guess quite a few preorders found their way on the UPS truck by now. They just landed in the warehouse.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    That's a non-Mips version, right? My understanding is the MIPS models won't be available until late Jan, early Feb 2015

Quote Originally Posted by challybert View Post
    That's a non-Mips version, right? My understanding is the MIPS models won't be available until late Jan, early Feb 2015
    That's correct. No MIPS available, yet. I considered it but decided against it. Had it been available, I probably would have sprung the extra $20 but today after finding out they were in, I was in the " I want it NOW!" mode.

ready to ride
    Thanks for posting the sizing info! I love the way my Super fits and was on the fence between this and the Mets parachute. Not being able to try a parachute on and availability I think I will be going with another Bell. I will probably wait for the MIPS. Anyone want to by a used Super?
    Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I have a medium red mips on order for delivery in Jan/Feb 2015. All of my helmets are subdued and this time I'm going for a color outside my norm.

btw...the GoPro mount is GREATLY improved on the new model. IMO, the biggest flaw was the original's velcro attachment going in through the vent and attaching to the to small velcro dots. It generally held well but in my experience, every to you had to manipulate the strap, it would pull the velcro dots off the EPS liner and that required too much attention for such a menial task.

The new mount is redesigned, super sturdy, and is captivated by a velcro strap that wraps the mount as well as the helmet vent. It's solid and a great improvement.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    ... there are some subtle fit "feeling" differences but it's true to the sizing and head shape of the original "Super". I'm at the edge of Medium and Large. Medium does it well for me, Large fits but has too much volume in the shell for my head shape .
    I'm in the same boat as far as helmets. Every time I check the sizing charts my head size is exactly on the cutoff between medium and large. Some larges feel better, but often I can get away with a medium. Do you know your exact head measurement? Mine is 23.25 cm.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    I'm in the same boat as far as helmets. Every time I check the sizing charts my head size is exactly on the cutoff between medium and large. Some larges feel better, but often I can get away with a medium. Do you know your exact head measurement? Mine is 23.25 cm.
    Think you meant 23.25 inches, right?

Tried on my brother's Medium today. It fit me great. My head size is 58cm (22 7/8 inches). I did need to cinch is up with the tension adjust in back quite a bit. Definitely room for the medium to accommodate a larger head than mine....how much larger i don't know. My guess is the medium would be JUST right for you without room for a headband(Sweatbuster) or skull cap.

You're right on the boarder. Hell, I'd just order a medium and a large, try them on and return the one that doesn't fit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by challybert View Post
    Think you meant 23.25 inches, right?

Ha ha. They don't call me pinhead for nothing. Yes, 23.25". Yeah, that's how mediums usually fit me. Just right, without much room for head bands. I don't like the extra space/volume of most larges though.

Yeah, may have to get an instore fitting or just order both. I'm waiting for the MIPS though, so I have so time to figure it out.

I wear a M/L POC Trabec now that fits really well and also have a size medium Giro Feature that is barely big enough. It's kinda tight even with a polypro skull cap.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Ha ha. They don't call me pinhead for nothing. Yes, 23.25". Yeah, that's how mediums usually fit me. Just right, without much room for head bands. I don't like the extra space/volume of most larges though.

Yeah, may have to get an instore fitting or just order both. I'm waiting for the MIPS though, so I have so time to figure it out.

I wear a M/L POC Trabec now that fits really well and also have a size medium Giro Feature that is barely big enough. It's kinda tight even with a polypro skull cap.
    Yup, M/L POC Trabec for me, too. For me, good fit normally, perfect fit with the Sweatbuster installed (tightens it up a bit). Sounds like the Medium Super 2R is going to be the one for you. I'm waiting for the MIPS version too.

since 4/10/2009
    I am looking at the Super 2. I'm unquestionably a large in pretty much every company's sizing. I'd really like to get the MIPS version, but I have a 50% off coupon with an expiration date and if Jan/Feb is the ship date for that one, no way I'll be able to use it on one of those.

I made a comment in another Super2 thread but I'll follow up here. I rode the Just Outstanding trail in Kernville last Sunday. We did an alternate, more technical route after JO that kept us on the trail for a few hours. It was a blast but I was most disappointed in the new Super 2R's fit, specifically those rubber pads that I "thought" would mellow. They didn't and became quite painful. Last night I had time to do some serious investigation and side by side comparison with my original 1.5 year old Super. Aside from those rubber pads, the interiors are pretty much identical. My assumption was that the new rubber pad was hiding some mechanism for the chinbar connection/lock up device on each side. I decided to peel one of them off. It came right up and yields nothing underneath but EPS liner identical to that of the old Super. The helmet now feels EXACTLY like the old Super which, for me, is awesome! I'm calling Bell today to find out if that rubber pad must be permanently installed. I'm gonna guess not but we'll see.

mtbr member
    I watched a video about the these helmets earlier today and thought it was very interesting especially since someone was looking for a way to make a helmet with a removable chin bar for one of his college classes. I don't think I would need one of these but damn that option is really nice to have!

since 4/10/2009
    I don't really feel like I need the chin bar, which is why I want the one without. I like the breakaway camera mount, in light of the article that came out awhile back questioning the safety of camera helmet mounts. I wish my coupon was valid long enough to get the MIPS version, though.

NH, is your coupon an Art's coupon? They were taking preorders for both mips and non-mips and charging at the time of order when I first looked.

I'll be curious to see and feel the fit of the MIPS. Wondering if anything is different regarding the liner issue.

I received a reply regarding my query on the pad installed in the new 2R. They didn't directly answer my question about whether it could come out all together but said it was there in part as a means to reach a certain certification rating due to the changes that the chin bar brought on. They suggested that it helped the fit for those that are right on the edge of fitment and that it would allow them to take the step to the next size up. I couldn't disagree more. It destroyed the fit for me and was insanely uncomfortable and I'm on that edge of sizing and do have a head shape that Bell has always worked. If I step to a large, the volume is all wrong and the helmet bobbles. It's a shame because everything about this helmet works but that one little issue that becomes huge when in the saddle for any length of time. I'm trying to decide whether to yank it and wear it or just return it and get my $200 back.

since 4/10/2009
    No. My coupon is straight from Bell. My club got a bunch. I have to use it on Bell's website.

I'm a bit concerned to hear about your fit issues with the rubber pads, but I'm not at the edge of any fit. Any large I ever try on has a little extra room where I have to cinch down on the retention system. Bells and Giros have both worked for me in the past (I currently have a Giro Xar). I got to try some POC helmets and those things feel like torture devices to me.

Ipe
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I got to try one on today. I came away learning a couple things. First is that removing the extra cheek pads change the fit radically. Taking them out made a big diffrence in comfort. The next is that this helmet is LIGHT. I was pretty amazed how lightweight this helmet felt in my hands. Finally, somehow it felt different to me than the regular Super I tried earlier this fall. I remember that Super feeling just about perfect so I was a bit surprised and disappointed when I got a hot spot with the 2R almost right away. I was prepared to walk out the door with a new helmet but I'm going to hold off until the MIPS version and the MET Parachute come in. Hopefully one of them will fit better.
    IBIS Mojo 3
    YETI
    SB66c
    NEMBA

Old, Slow and now FAT! :)
    I received a reply regarding my query on the pad installed in the new 2R. They didn't directly answer my question about whether it could come out all together but said it was there in part as a means to reach a certain certification rating due to the changes that the chin bar brought on. They suggested that it helped the fit for those that are right on the edge of fitment and that it would allow them to take the step to the next size up. I couldn't disagree more. It destroyed the fit for me and was insanely uncomfortable and I'm on that edge of sizing and do have a head shape that Bell has always worked. If I step to a large, the volume is all wrong and the helmet bobbles. It's a shame because everything about this helmet works but that one little issue that becomes huge when in the saddle for any length of time. I'm trying to decide whether to yank it and wear it or just return it and get my $200 back.
    Very interesting. My head is right between medium and large (technically it's at the bottom end of large) and the current large Super I have has proved to be too large for me. Without my winter head gear it bobbles around on my head in rough terrain to the point that I stopped wearing it in the summer. I was going to see about a medium of the 2R in MIPS but your observations would seem to indicate that this would not be a good idea; but I'm not doing a large again.

Obviously I will need to try one in store when they come out..

I quit e-MTBR
    I received a reply regarding my query on the pad installed in the new 2R. They didn't directly answer my question about whether it could come out all together but said it was there in part as a means to reach a certain certification rating due to the changes that the chin bar brought on.
    If those pads are required for certification, there's no way their lawyers would let them tell you it's fine to take them out.

Remember that we're talking about normal-helmet certification here, not DH-helmet certification.

I'm not an expert, but I've never heard of a company having to add rubber pads to get a helmet certified. Sounds odd. Maybe someone goofed up the design or production of the shell, and the pads are a last-second hack?

Are the pads you're talking about visible in this photo? EDIT: Oh, now I see your photo of the pad in your other post, here.

Quote Originally Posted by OldManBike View Post
    If those pads are required for certification, there's no way their lawyers would let them tell you it's fine to take them out.

Remember that we're talking about normal-helmet certification here, not DH-helmet certification.

I'm not an expert, but I've never heard of a company having to add rubber pads to get a helmet certified. Sounds odd. Maybe someone goofed up the design or production of the shell, and the pads are a last-second hack?

Are the pads you're talking about visible in this photo? EDIT: Oh, now I see your photo of the pad in your other post, here.
    My third photo in the first post of this thread shows the pad in question. I don't expect them to give me a thumbs up on the removal of that pad, just more nebulous mumbo-jumbo so I haven't pursued the issue any further with them.

The photo of a Super2R that you just linked above, where's that from? It does NOT include the pads in question. Is that a prototype helmet?

I quit e-MTBR
    The photo of a Super2R that you just linked above, where's that from? It does NOT include the pads in question. Is that a prototype helmet?
    Yeah, probably pre-production, it's from something posted the end of August. Looks like a MIPS. Here's the page.

Thanks for your post.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Just got mine last night and used it for our weekly evening local dh run. We pedal up the road, so we're enduro, bro! As everyone's saying there seems to be slight difference in fit, I felt it toward the upper rear of head. There's small differences in the eps at the rear, the rear ratchet retaining mech is slightly different. Once I fitted the helmet and tightened up the ratchet though I noticed no discomfort.
    The chin bar was ridiculously easy to install. I did it first time at the top of hill, helmet on head, in the rainy dark, no instructions read. Just make sure the nuggets are in their matching sockets, hook the rear latch and snap all the latches home. Once on it feels solid.
    In comparison to my THE One carbon full face, it of course doesn't feel as encompassing. It's way lighter. Ventilation is night and day. It was almost too ventilated with the chilly drizzly night weather. The face opening is a bit larger too. There's no mesh on the chin bar vents. If you take it off with chinbar, it's kinda difficult to put back on unless you loosen the back of head retaining ratchet.
    The GP mount is way better. Doesn't plug up a vent and the strap more secure. Mine came with two little plastic chips that I have no idea what they are for and promptly got lost. Nice drawstring carrying sack provided also.
    I like it, smartly designed and feels good.
    I would be loath to remove those side rubber pads, I wonder if they provide additional protection again the side latching mechanism from intruding inside.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Oh, my one other annoyance that still exists on the 2 is the plastic strap for the rear ratchet still goes through a captured hole in pad. Even if it's got supposed permanent anti-funk fibers, I still take my pads out and wash them. If you don't snip a little slot to the hole, you'll need to unsnap those plastic straps from inner helmet to take the pads out.

I agree and echo all your observations. And yes, the chin bar is stupid-easy to work with right away. I'm rolling with the 2 new nitrile pads removed. I can 't stand the fit with them installed but love every other aspect of the helmet. I may craft an identically shaped foam pad to take their place and see how it feels. Without those pads, the interior is identical to the original aside from the nuances of the rear suspension.

I hear ya on the pierced section of foam liner. The original was the same way and I just dealt with it. I did replace my liner when it frayed just prior to a year. Bell sent me one for free. They were only $7 if you had to buy one. I wear a SweatVac skull cap every time I ride so I'm not having to wash the helmet liner as frequently. Just a habit I picked up with my Arai motorcycle helmets.

Like you, I was a bit baffled on the 2 little tiny bits that were in the bag. I studied the helmet and figured it out....they are to fill the notch where the chinbar keyways into the helmet right where the 2 side latches are located. Probably designed to keep crud from filling the hole when you're rollin' without the chinbar. Not sure I'll ever bother with them but that's where they go. Not one bit of info in the manual on that, though!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I made a comment in another Super2 thread but I'll follow up here. I rode the Just Outstanding trail in Kernville last Sunday. We did an alternate, more technical route after JO that kept us on the trail for a few hours. It was a blast but I was most disappointed in the new Super 2R's fit, specifically those rubber pads that I "thought" would mellow. They didn't and became quite painful. Last night I had time to do some serious investigation and side by side comparison with my original 1.5 year old Super. Aside from those rubber pads, the interiors are pretty much identical. My assumption was that the new rubber pad was hiding some mechanism for the chinbar connection/lock up device on each side. I decided to peel one of them off. It came right up and yields nothing underneath but EPS liner identical to that of the old Super. The helmet now feels EXACTLY like the old Super which, for me, is awesome! I'm calling Bell today to find out if that rubber pad must be permanently installed. I'm gonna guess not but we'll see.
    Did you mean this marked Rubber Pads ?

For me it's seems to be the same parts, which make the super 2r a little bit uncomfortable (...and that's the reason, why i am unsteady of take him back to dealer). Is it easy to remove them (are the glued??)? Is there a way to put them back, if it's not the right solution?

Could you please post a Picture with the removed Pads?

PS: sorry for my german english ;-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bell Super 2R. It's Official!-bell-super-2r-rubberpad.jpg  

Last edited by Chefkoch; 12-04-2014 at 02:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chefkoch View Post
    Did you mean this marked Rubber Pads ?

For me it's seems to be the same parts, which make the super 2r a little bit uncomfortable (...and that's the reason, why i am unsteady of take him back to dealer). Is it easy to remove them (are the glued??)? Is there a way to put them back, if it's not the right solution?

Could you please post a Picture with the removed Pads?

PS: sorry for my german english ;-)
    Yes, those are the pads. I did remove them. They come out very easy. They are stuck to the EPS liner with a sticky goo and it requires about as much effort as it would to remove the velcro attached liner that is adjacent. I don't have a pic of them removed at this moment but there is nothing under them and when they're out, it looks exactly like the original Super helmet. The sticky goo is persistent so if you pull them out and decide to put them back, they should stick.

Just to reiterate, Bell did not give me the "go ahead" on removing these in their communication. They just explained why they were there and left it at that. Mine are out. It was that or return the helmet because the fit with them installed is completely unacceptable. It's a shame because by their statement it seemed to me they're trying to appease those that where on the borderline of fit while screwing up a perfect fit for those that were already sold on the helmet. We'll see how well this works for them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I really want to buy this but feel i should just wait for the MIPS version instead

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by mattnmtns View Post
    Thanks for posting the sizing info! I love the way my Super fits and was on the fence between this and the Mets parachute. Not being able to try a parachute on and availability I think I will be going with another Bell. I will probably wait for the MIPS. Anyone want to by a used Super?
    Just don't get the same color I plan on getting.
    You tried that with the Super already and I don't give a sh!t if we match.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by brainhulk View Post
    I really want to buy this but feel i should just wait for the MIPS version instead
    I know its a little silly, but I didn't get the MIPS because it didn't come in the color I wanted.
    I got a chance to do a side by side comparison with my Super, both medium. AFAICT the exterior shell shape is identical. I can actually take the shin bar and fit it into the matching holes on my old Super. It wont latch though since it doesn't have the plastic bits for the latch mech. The no GP mount would work except for the little spud hole in the shell. I suppose you could chance drilling a hole in your old Super helmet shell if you really wanted to.
    Interior fit, those side pads just above your ears is the major difference. For me it made it a little snugger there, no problem for me. If that fit is already tight on you with the Super though, I can see it being a problem as those pads are high density and don't squish much. The rear difference is subtle and I could not detect any difference in fit there. The cheek pads are removable for cleaning, and also you can open up the pouch itself and remove the foam inside. It has two pieces, a big open cell squishy pad and a thinner dense pad that I think you can remove for fit. I have a thin face so run both pads for appropriate firm fit. It's actually not as firm as my full face but still good.
    Kinda nice having a quick side squeeze helmet strap latch as opposed to the double D ring buckle on my full face. Can operate it with gloves on.
    Yeah, that was my guess for what the little plastic chips were for. I actually found them the other night. Will not bother with them. I popped them in once and a bit of pain to remove if you don't have fingernails. And I can see them immediately getting dropped in the dirt and disappearing, just as they immediately got dropped behind my car seat when I got them!

Oni
    Master Of Fooliganism
    Quote Originally Posted by root View Post
    I know its a little silly, but I didn't get the MIPS because it didn't come in the color I wanted.
    I got a chance to do a side by side comparison with my Super, both medium. AFAICT the exterior shell shape is identical. I can actually take the shin bar and fit it into the matching holes on my old Super. It wont latch though since it doesn't have the plastic bits for the latch mech. The no GP mount would work except for the little spud hole in the shell. I suppose you could chance drilling a hole in your old Super helmet shell if you really wanted to.
    Interior fit, those side pads just above your ears is the major difference. For me it made it a little snugger there, no problem for me. If that fit is already tight on you with the Super though, I can see it being a problem as those pads are high density and don't squish much. The rear difference is subtle and I could not detect any difference in fit there. The cheek pads are removable for cleaning, and also you can open up the pouch itself and remove the foam inside. It has two pieces, a big open cell squishy pad and a thinner dense pad that I think you can remove for fit. I have a thin face so run both pads for appropriate firm fit. It's actually not as firm as my full face but still good.
    Kinda nice having a quick side squeeze helmet strap latch as opposed to the double D ring buckle on my full face. Can operate it with gloves on.
    Yeah, that was my guess for what the little plastic chips were for. I actually found them the other night. Will not bother with them. I popped them in once and a bit of pain to remove if you don't have fingernails. And I can see them immediately getting dropped in the dirt and disappearing, just as they immediately got dropped behind my car seat when I got them!
    Is this your alter alter ego there mr taro root?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Oni View Post
    Is this your alter alter ego there mr taro root?
    Oh oops, do I have 2 logins here? didn't realize that!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

GP mount

btw...the GoPro mount is GREATLY improved on the new model. IMO, the biggest flaw was the original's velcro attachment going in through the vent and attaching to the to small velcro dots. It generally held well but in my experience, every to you had to manipulate the strap, it would pull the velcro dots off the EPS liner and that required too much attention for such a menial task.

The new mount is redesigned, super sturdy, and is captivated by a velcro strap that wraps the mount as well as the helmet vent. It's solid and a great improvement.
    Would the new GP mount work on the old Super? Seems like the vents are spaced the same as the old one? Still wondering why Bell hasnt also made a light mount like the GP mount to sell...

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by PRCVT View Post
    Would the new GP mount work on the old Super? Seems like the vents are spaced the same as the old one? Still wondering why Bell hasnt also made a light mount like the GP mount to sell...
    If you are willing to drill a small hole in the top of the shell it'll fit. There a little spud on the new mount that indexes into a hole. You could cut/sand the spud off, but then I think the mount would slide around.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    At first I thought this helmet seemed pointless, not as light as a normal helmet or as protective as a legit full face. But now, seeing how easy it is to put on the chinbar, and the fact it might seriously cut down on some gnarly maxillofacial injuries makes it seems perfect for the climb and then heavy descent riding I do. Next helmet for me, for sure.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Don't mean to be a bummer, but I was seriously let down when I got my hands on one the other day. I messed around with it a bit and while I'm sure I could get it dialed in close enough, in the end it just didn't inspire the confidence on terrain that I would use it in. Sure it might prevent some face injury, but I feel like this helmet is just in limbo too much. Not enough for a DH (or even aggro enduro) and too much for XC. Ultimately, I ended up getting a TLD A1 and a Giro Cipher. Sure I'm hating life when I have slog the cipher uphill, but it's a compromise I'm willing to make for the confidence I'll get going down and the better protection when I eat it. As others have said, the 2r is a different feel than the super. Don't think because your super feels good, this one will be the same.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Can someone do me a favor and give me internal width of medium 2R? I have medium 2R MIPS preordered and would like to make sure it's going to fit. My head is wider than normal at 6.5" (165mm) and this has been the deciding factor in my helmet sizing. TIA!

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by ugly View Post
    Don't mean to be a bummer, but I was seriously let down when I got my hands on one the other day. I messed around with it a bit and while I'm sure I could get it dialed in close enough, in the end it just didn't inspire the confidence on terrain that I would use it in. Sure it might prevent some face injury, but I feel like this helmet is just in limbo too much. Not enough for a DH (or even aggro enduro) and too much for XC. Ultimately, I ended up getting a TLD A1 and a Giro Cipher. Sure I'm hating life when I have slog the cipher uphill, but it's a compromise I'm willing to make for the confidence I'll get going down and the better protection when I eat it. As others have said, the 2r is a different feel than the super. Don't think because your super feels good, this one will be the same.
    I will agree that it probably isn't as great downhill helmet and probable to heavy for an XC helmet especially since I wouldn't even consider the Super to really be an XC helmet. However for a guy like me that does a mix of both (my style of riding is probably closest to US enduro style) it can be the ticket.

What has stopped me in the past from getting a full face helmet is the fact they suck so bad for long climbs. I had considered the old Met Parachute but I could never get my hands on one for fit. It also looked chintzy from all the pics. I have seen the new Met Parachute in person and it looks like quality and is super lightweight. It seems as if it would be equally as comfortable on climbs as any mountain bike helmet without a chin bar. So for me, my choices are the the Super 2r, the Met Parachute or continuing with no chin bar. The Super 2r will most likely win though over the Parachute since I will be able to get my hands on it for fit. If it wasn't for either of these options, I would just stick to the Super that I already have and love.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    I will agree that it probably isn't as great downhill helmet and probable to heavy for an XC helmet especially since I wouldn't even consider the Super to really be an XC helmet. However for a guy like me that does a mix of both (my style of riding is probably closest to US enduro style) it can be the ticket.

What has stopped me in the past from getting a full face helmet is the fact they suck so bad for long climbs. I had considered the old Met Parachute but I could never get my hands on one for fit. It also looked chintzy from all the pics. I have seen the new Met Parachute in person and it looks like quality and is super lightweight. It seems as if it would be equally as comfortable on climbs as any mountain bike helmet without a chin bar. So for me, my choices are the the Super 2r, the Met Parachute or continuing with no chin bar. The Super 2r will most likely win though over the Parachute since I will be able to get my hands on it for fit. If it wasn't for either of these options, I would just stick to the Super that I already have and love.
    I have a few rides in my MET and while it is a littler warmer climbing, it isn't considerably warmer.
    I ride in MD so east coast heat and humidity. I'm really torn between the two. I like that MET is ASTM1952 certified, but I like the MIPS system as well. Also, the 2R would allow me to have one helmet instead of two.

I don't buy into the FF is too much for XC riding, myself and other people I've talked to have had face injuries riding XC. That said, riding with the kids on a paved path I won't be using the MET.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

Rogue Exterminator
    I live in Western NC (Asheville area).
    Never gets ridiculously hot here but it can get a little humid.
    There are days though that I take my helmet off though when on long climbs.
    I am however on a SS so I am mashing up and not just spinning up.

I have seen guys riding enduro races wearing a regular helmet and carrying their full face with them. Seems silly when these options are available.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    I live in Western NC (Asheville area).
    Never gets ridiculously hot here but it can get a little humid.
    There are days though that I take my helmet off though when on long climbs.
    I am however on a SS so I am mashing up and not just spinning up.

I have seen guys riding enduro races wearing a regular helmet and carrying their full face with them. Seems silly when these options are available.

I don't know the event rules, but if they required certified helmets that may be why. Remember the Bell isn't ASTM 1952 certified.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    I don't know the event rules, but if they required certified helmets that may be why. Remember the Bell isn't ASTM 1952 certified.
    They just required a helmet at all time.
    Full face was too hot to climb in but he wanted more protection in timed downhill portions. So the solution was 2 helmets. It was a battle of comfort vs protection and helmets like the Super 2R and Met Parachute offer a good compromise.

mtbr member
    Just got mine today - same issue. Super is perfect like a glove but this 2r...not so. I'm thinking it will cause a headache during riding. Plus those pressure points transfer impact to head during crash? Hate to modify it but likely will. Maybe Bell will come up with a mod for this.

Quote Originally Posted by 702Biff View Post
    Just got mine today - same issue. Super is perfect like a glove but this 2r...not so. I'm thinking it will cause a headache during riding. Plus those pressure points transfer impact to head during crash. I'm thinking deal breaker.
    Maybe let Bell know about your experience like I did.

mtbr member
    Maybe let Bell know about your experience like I did.
    I left a comment on their site which they say will post in 5 days.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

FYI - super 2r 15% off at arts with save15 code and there is a $25 gift card with purchase

mtbr member
    Pinkbike video for the impact testing of face guard is up.

Video: Bell Super 2R Helmet Impact Testing - Pinkbike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Elbastardo View Post
    FYI - super 2r 15% off at arts with save15 code and there is a $25 gift card with purchase
    Thanks for that beta! Saved me big!

Thanks for posting that. That's good info.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks, just ordered, got my 15% ($30) off and my $25 gift card. Can't beat that.
    Last edited by jsalas2; 12-18-2014 at 03:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    So I wonder what it doesn't meet that doesn't meet the dh helmet standard. I tried to look up specifics on the standard but couldn't find online, unless you pay for it.
    The video does give me more confidence in mine.

I read or saw in one of the several video reviews that because of the vent holes on the chin gaurd, it doesn't meet the penetration standard of a standard DH helmet.

Reluctant Tree Hugger
    Got mine today! This thing is sweet!

Bell Super 2R. It's Official!-10895443_416108658544830_290109370_n.jpg

Very lightweight. Nice, sturdy GoPro mount. And the removable guard should suit my riding needs quite well, although I hope to never actually NEED the chin guard.

It's not the most comfortable helmet I've ever worn, but far from the worst. It, like other Bell helmets I've tried, including motorcycle helmets, don't fit my abnormally long dome shape ideally. There's a bit of pressure at the very front, and especially at the very back. I'll keep an eye out at REI and see if they get any larges in before the riding season restarts, or perhaps a MIPS version, or the matte/red version, but I think a larger size might allow a bit too much movement.

I think the pressure points can be fixed by adding a little bit more padding. Did any of you guys' helmets come with any extra padding or cheek pad inserts?
    Live like there's no tomorrow. But pay your bills just in case there is.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Mine came with inserts already in the cheek pads that you could remove. Made it too loose for me so I put them back. No other additional pads.

Reluctant Tree Hugger
    Yeah, mine too. I was just wondering about any extra inserts since those are the ones that were advertised as adjustable.
    Live like there's no tomorrow. But pay your bills just in case there is.

mtbr member
    I'm really digging this helmet. Looking forward to seeing the results of some real-world crash tests by MTBR members (as long as no one's hurt)

I was in the market for a new helmet, and waffled on the original Super, or maybe cashing in some 'IOUs' for a 2R when I found a new Stoker for $32, so that's what I went with this time.

Based on my experience with the Stoker, and a family member's experience with his new Super, I'm almost certain that a 2R will be next, should something damage my current lid.

mtbr member
    Nice dude!

I just picked up mine up from price point. They have the MIPS version too.

Your Local Mountain Bike, Road Bike, & Bike Parts Superstore

Came it like one day after I ordered it but I seems like you're still the first one since you ordered before me haha. Rad helmet.

mtbr member
    Why in the hell would you mount a go pro on your head? Seems Hella dangerous to have that extra weight limit you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Looks Like Price Point has more color options too

mtbr member
    Has anyone received a MIPS version yet? Art's was supposed to have them 1/11, but now they're backordered until 2/7.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Quote Originally Posted by martinizer View Post
    Has anyone received a MIPS version yet? Art's was supposed to have them 1/11, but now they're backordered until 2/7.
    I am in same boat. I tried a super 2r on at REI, and the fit is definitely "funky". It feels like the top portion is wider than the lower half of the helmet, almost bulbous kind of feeling, like I had too much room. Then went to the smaller size to test it out and it was waaaay too small.

It felt weird. Interesting to see if the MIPS version fits better or worse.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

The red color is more of a hot pink/orange mix IMO. Its fugly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by martinizer View Post
    Haven't received shipping notice for mine (MIPS too). Hope available date is not pushed out for a month!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehien View Post
    Haven't received shipping notice for mine (MIPS too). Hope available date is not pushed out for a month!
    Just spoke with Arts folks. Current ETA is early/mid February for some sizes of Red and White. The black version may be delayed out to March.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Got an email from Art's today saying that they will receive my helmet (White MIPS L) on 2/7. This is almost a month of delay but well it is what it is and I just hope they can stick to the new schedule without further delay.
    Last edited by Ehien; 01-13-2015 at 07:42 PM.

mtbr member
    PSA - ordered a standard (not MIPS) Super 2R large white from Universal Cycles yesterday morning and it shipped yesterday afternoon. It's $180 normally, 10% off with their email list coupon code (they send one every month - I sometimes even read the rest of the email ), and free standard shipping.

So, $162 wasn't half bad.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    PSA - ordered a standard (not MIPS) Super 2R large white from Universal Cycles yesterday morning and it shipped yesterday afternoon. It's $180 normally, 10% off with their email list coupon code (they send one every month - I sometimes even read the rest of the email ), and free standard shipping.

So, $162 wasn't half bad.
    You could have gotten MIPS from arts for 15% off and $25 gift card... Just as a fyi

mtbr member
    I didn't want the MIPS, honestly. I don't know if there is anything different about this helmet, since I haven't seen them in person, but other MIPS helmets I've tried are bulkier than their standard versions.

Quote Originally Posted by Elbastardo View Post
    You could have gotten MIPS from arts for 15% off and $25 gift card... Just as a fyi
    15% off doesn't work with the $25 Gift Card deal and you can't remove the $25 deal. Both MIPS and Std qualify.

EDIT: Oh yeah...there's that "work-around" for that. I forgot!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

I didn't want the MIPS, honestly. I don't know if there is anything different about this helmet, since I haven't seen them in person, but other MIPS helmets I've tried are bulkier than their standard versions.
    Point being you could also get the regular helmet with the discount

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Well add me to the list of old Super users who hates the fit of the Super 2R - the new hard pads pointed out earlier in the thread have ruined the fit. Super bummed.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWHayduke View Post
    Well add me to the list of old Super users who hates the fit of the Super 2R - the new hard pads pointed out earlier in the thread have ruined the fit. Super bummed.
    Peel 'em out. That's how I'm running mine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Saladin View Post
    Got mine today! This thing is sweet!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10895443_416108658544830_290109370_n.jpg 
Views:	7120 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	952506

Very lightweight. Nice, sturdy GoPro mount. And the removable guard should suit my riding needs quite well, although I hope to never actually NEED the chin guard.

It's not the most comfortable helmet I've ever worn, but far from the worst. It, like other Bell helmets I've tried, including motorcycle helmets, don't fit my abnormally long dome shape ideally. There's a bit of pressure at the very front, and especially at the very back. I'll keep an eye out at REI and see if they get any larges in before the riding season restarts, or perhaps a MIPS version, or the matte/red version, but I think a larger size might allow a bit too much movement.

I think the pressure points can be fixed by adding a little bit more padding. Did any of you guys' helmets come with any extra padding or cheek pad inserts?
    Hi, what size of your head and helmet ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I was able to try the Super 2 out at the LBS, what did Bell do with their fit? I have the Bell Stoker and the Super and both fit like a glove, so comfortable you forget you have them on kind of fit. But the Super 2 is terrible. And add to it some very odd colors, I see a lot of these going on clearance later this year. Too bad as I liked the chin guard idea but the fit would drive me nuts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastline View Post
    I was able to try the Super 2 out at the LBS, what did Bell do with their fit?
    Changing the fit would explain why the Super 2R fits me and no Bell helmet I've tried previously did. I took out the extra cheek pads in the chinbar and it fits me perfectly.

mtbr member

Changing the fit would explain why the Super 2R fits me and no Bell helmet I've tried previously did. I took out the extra cheek pads in the chinbar and it fits me perfectly.
    The same experience for me. I really wanted a Bell regular Super last winter. I went to the store, put on the best one and just walked around. I couldn't stop thinking about my head and the poor fit, and I walked out of the store empty handed.
    Fast forward to this past Christmas. I got a Bell Super 2r, popped it on my head and never took it off. I fits me just perfect, and now that the days are getting sunny (hella NorCal) I like the sweat management better than my Uvex, Giro or Specialized.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by squareback View Post
    I fits me just perfect, and now that the days are getting sunny (hella NorCal) I like the sweat management better than my Uvex, Giro or Specialized.
    I agree that the sweat management is good, and the clearance for sunglasses is GREAT.

I have my chinstrap relatively tight and the way the straps come out of the helmet, they don't touch sunglass arms at all. the back of the arm also doesn't touch the sides of the helmet over and behind my ears. It is far better than my road helmet (Cannondale Teramo), my old MTB helmet (Specialized Instinct) or my DH shell (Giro Remedy).

I guess I'm just fortunate that my head is very much like what Bell designed the helmet to fit.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Fastline, what didn't you like about the fit, was it the hard plastic pads mentioned earlier.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    seems there are 2 versions of super 2/2R out there. one version (see pics) has hole in vents, where chin bar locks on sides and does not have weird rubber pads. second version does not have hole and has rubber pads. is there any explanation other than first version seems like super 1? but chin bar was locked in place and label was 2R or same without chin bar labeled super 2.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bell Super 2R. It's Official!-dsc_0270.jpg  

Bell Super 2R. It's Official!-dsc_0271.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jsalas2 View Post
    Fastline, what didn't you like about the fit, was it the hard plastic pads mentioned earlier.
    Helmet was resting on 3 points on my skull and not uniformly like their other models. Seemed to be narrow at the top, very uncomfortable. I tried adjusting the pads a bit and trying large vs medium but it never felt good.

Quote Originally Posted by clovek View Post
    seems there are 2 versions of super 2/2R out there. one version (see pics) has hole in vents, where chin bar locks on sides and does not have weird rubber pads. second version does not have hole and has rubber pads. is there any explanation other than first version seems like super 1? but chin bar was locked in place and label was 2R or same without chin bar labeled super 2.
    Interesting. IIRC, the new Super 2 without the chinbar is supposed to be able to accept the chinbar should one decide to buy it. At least that's what I recall reading when these started hitting the shelves. My 2R with chinbar does not have "open" vents where the chinbar mates with the helmet. I wonder if this is the magic for custom fit. Buy the Super 2 without chinbar so you can get it without the sh*tty rubber pads. I'd love to see how the Super 2 feels for fit compared to my 2R.

mtbr member
    I like the look of this helmet a lot seen a few comments about how well ventilated it is and you forget you're wearing it

Keep the great info coming my trigger finger is itching on this one

mtbr member
    Interesting. IIRC, the new Super 2 without the chinbar is supposed to be able to accept the chinbar should one decide to buy it. At least that's what I recall reading when these started hitting the shelves. My 2R with chinbar does not have "open" vents where the chinbar mates with the helmet. I wonder if this is the magic for custom fit. Buy the Super 2 without chinbar so you can get it without the sh*tty rubber pads. I'd love to see how the Super 2 feels for fit compared to my 2R.
    Yes, the Super 2 has changed for 2015, and does accept the chinbar. I don't know how much it costs separately, but I wouldn't assume the new Super 2 lacks the pads that some of you find uncomfortable. Possibly, the new Super 2 has those same pads and becomes identical to the Super 2R when the chinbar is purchased and installed.

http://www.bellhelmets.com/cycling/helmets/super-1547/

I also know there are some pics of the pre-production 'mockup' Super 2R floating around from trade shows last year. That helmet doesn't exist for consumers, and likely never will...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    ColinL - i have attached images of super 2 that I took yesterday in local bike shop. yesterday they had not super 2R but week ago I was there to try 2R and it was same as super 2 from images - without rubber pads. meanwhile I ordered 2R from different eshop and they sent me super 2 (by mistake) that had rubber pads. so I went to LBS yesterday to check helmets again and I took photos. on images there is visible slot for chin bar - in front of front strap pin. also there are slots for locking mechanism in vent hole (not clearly visible). so helmet on my images is super 2 and is sold by LBS right now (slovakia - EU).

mtbr member
    Bell Super 2R. It's Official!-135935-psych-thats-wrong-number-g-eag6.jpg

mtbr member
    Bell Super 2R. It's Official!-img_1898.jpg

I was able to get a Super 2R MIPS from Bell as a crash replacement (30%off) to my old Super. I got a med, just like my Super. The fit sucks. It was painful to wear it; it felt like a medieval torture device; the new rubber pads plus the mips layer made the fit impossible. I was able to go to my local shop and tried on a large mips 2r; it fits, but seems like it's a tad too big, but it fits. The salesman said that he wouldn't sell that size to me cuz it looks big on me. I mean I think I can live with it, but in terms of safety, which we are after, i don't know. But in no way, the new Super 2R MIPS fit like the regular 2R or the old Super. Bell is going to send me a large, I'll decide then whether to return it or keep it. Most likely I'll return it and stick with my TLD A-1. Good concept but because to protect one's face from the binders during a crash, they had to add the additional rubber pads which throws off the sizing.

The large will "feel" like it fits but it will have too much volume. It will not stay in place when you most need it....during an impact. I tried the large, too. If you have no other recourse, like a refund, and you have to take something, pull those POS rubber pads out of the medium and call it good!

I haven't tried a MIPS, yet. Maybe you should try the Med 2R non-MIPS in case the MIPS effects fit, too. ??

mtbr member
    Can someone take some pics of the interior of the MIPS version? I'm curious what is different about the pads & fit.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Friend reported that LBS got the MIPS and he tried it on & it was uncomfortable. I'll go by Thursday when I usually stop in & see. I have both a 1st gen Super and S2R. Both fit me well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    When you pull off the two plastic pads, how do you get rid of the sticky residue underneath

More Human Than Human
    Can someone take some pics of the interior of the MIPS version? I'm curious what is different about the pads & fit.

"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand."
    -Confucius

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Well, my medium white mips version is supposed to arrive on Monday from Art's. From the reviews here is sounds like I'll be donning a crown of thorns. I'll report back.

mtbr member
    The large will "feel" like it fits but it will have too much volume. It will not stay in place when you most need it....during an impact. I tried the large, too. If you have no other recourse, like a refund, and you have to take something, pull those POS rubber pads out of the medium and call it good!

I haven't tried a MIPS, yet. Maybe you should try the Med 2R non-MIPS in case the MIPS effects fit, too. ??
    Yes, i did try a non mips med 2r, it fits, but i can feel the 2 new pads, but they dont hurt like the one with mips. May switch out to the non mips. Cheers!

mtbr member
    I'll be honest; I see no differences in the interior of the MIPS and my non-MIPS helmet in terms of the liner, webbing & pads. I have not tried on a MIPS yet but Mud Pig and maybe others have tried on the MIPS and standard Super 2R.

If there's a difference in the fit of the MIPS it's got to be the inner diameter and/or shape of the shell. Which would make sense; that's what makes MIPS, the inside slips against the outer shell in a crash.

I also went back to post #29 Bell Super 2R. It's Official! - Page 2- Mtbr.com and looked at the rubber pad that OMS doesn't like. Yes, that's definitely in my Super 2R non-MIPS, and no, it doesn't bother me at all. It probably depends on how oval one's head is. More oval, and that piece on the side doesn't cause discomfort. More round, and you'll want to remove that piece or possibly not use this helmet at all.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Got my L MIPS from Arts yesterday (ordered around Xmas time). The fit around ears is definitely tighter than L Super (non MIPS) I tried at REI. While Super fitted comfortably, I got pressure points above ears with Super 2R MIPS. It seemed to ease a bit after some wearing. I'm going to use it a bit more and see if thing improves. Taking out the rubber pads around ears will be an option if necessary. This is the only concern I have. Otherwise, everything worked great.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Same issue here. Original Super fits perfectly but Super 2 has pressure points towards back side. Maybe it's pads. Stared to become very uncomfortable after 4-5 miles. Next size up was comfy but too loose.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedster View Post
    Same issue here. Original Super fits perfectly but Super 2 has pressure points towards back side. Maybe it's pads. Stared to become very uncomfortable after 4-5 miles. Next size up was comfy but too loose.
    Besides removing the offending rubber pads, it may be possible to compress and deform them to reduce pressure at pressure points. At least it seems for me it's possible and I'm going to try. Will report back after few rides in.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast