Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    mtbr member
    jminus,

Can you comment the fit at the widest circumference of the head on the parietal bone (above the rearwards of the ear)?

This is where I had issues with the 2R.

mtbr member
    Did they make it in xl for those of us with full size heads?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DerrickT View Post
    jminus,

Can you comment the fit at the widest circumference of the head on the parietal bone (above the rearwards of the ear)?

This is where I had issues with the 2R.
    This sounds like the same area that I find "irritating" on longer rides. I don't really notice anything just putting on the 2R in the garage, but on the longer rides it starts to hurt in that same area. I'll do some back to back comparisons between the two helmets tomorrow to see if I can notice a difference in fit. But the real test will be on my next long ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ELECTRIC_YETI View Post
    Did they make it in xl for those of us with full size heads?
    I don't recall seeing XL on the Bell web store.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Took the 3R out riding today. I did some direct fit comparisons with the 2R before the ride and there is a noticeable difference in pressure on the back of my head about level with my temples. The 3R doesn't grab the head as hard there when tightened down. I also noticed that the 3R is easier to tilt sideways than the 2R, probably due to the same fit difference. The both tipped backwards with the same amount of force.

During my short ride, the 3R felt great but honestly I'm still pretty sore from the wreck that caused me to get the new helmet in the first place so any discomfort was probably drowned out by unrelated pain.

Anyway, here are some comparison pictures for anyone interested. 3R on the left, 2R on the right

2R closeup:

3R closeup:

3R closeup:

aka: Bucky Fikes
    I still haven't tried on a MIPS version of the S2R. I need to see how that feels compared to the standard 2R's I have. Do you have the chinbar components for the 2R/3R? Wondering if they would swap?
    Always ride with a purpose.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    I still haven't tried on a MIPS version of the S2R. I need to see how that feels compared to the standard 2R's I have. Do you have the chinbar components for the 2R/3R? Wondering if they would swap?
    Lots of people seem to feel that the mips version of the 2R was less comfortable. I never tried a non-mips so I can't compare.

And yes, I have chin bars for both and they look identical.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jminus View Post
    I don't recall seeing XL on the Bell web store.
    Correct. Still no XL with the 3R. Maybe if we complain to Bell enough they'll supersize it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    I need to buy more of the GoPro-mounts. The top plastic part that attaches to the camera and breaks away. I broke one, and I'd like a couple spare ones so I can more easily switch between cameras and lights etc. Anyone know where to get this part, preferrably an online shop? Bell Intl support just referenced me to the company importing them here (Norway), and they claim to not carry this spare part.
    I snapped mine off when I hit a low hanging branch in Mammoth last month. Got a new one from Weber Sports online:

https://www.webersports.com/index.ph...l%20super%202r

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaM View Post
    ... Got a new [GoPro-mount] from Weber Sports online:
    https://www.webersports.com/index.ph...l%20super%202r
    Thanks for taking the time to answer, and with a direct link at that! Much appreciated!

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Took the 3R out riding today. I did some direct fit comparisons with the 2R before the ride and there is a noticeable difference in pressure on the back of my head about level with my temples. The 3R doesn't grab the head as hard there when tightened down. I also noticed that the 3R is easier to tilt sideways than the 2R, probably due to the same fit difference. The both tipped backwards with the same amount of force.

During my short ride, the 3R felt great but honestly I'm still pretty sore from the wreck that caused me to get the new helmet in the first place so any discomfort was probably drowned out by unrelated pain.

Anyway, here are some comparison pictures for anyone interested. 3R on the left, 2R on the right

2R closeup:

3R closeup:

3R closeup:
    It appears you have the back adjustment tab in different positions on these, is that intentional? I find that adjustment critical to making the helmet fit appropriately. Just curious if I change from a 2 to a 3 if I should adjust this when comparing. Also interested in hearing if chin guard is swappable. Thanks for the pictures.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rentalrider View Post
    It appears you have the back adjustment tab in different positions on these, is that intentional? I find that adjustment critical to making the helmet fit appropriately. Just curious if I change from a 2 to a 3 if I should adjust this when comparing. Also interested in hearing if chin guard is swappable. Thanks for the pictures.
    I run the back tab in the middle position for both helmets, but I find that taking the helmet off or putting it on with the chin bar attached will cause the tab position to change and I have to correct it once the helmet is on. So the difference in the pictures is just happenstance.

Chin bar is swappable. I was able to mount my old bar on the new helmet just fine.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I got my super 2r last month and wasn't too enamored with the fit. The helmet would slide back over my forehead far too easily.

Bit the bullet and tore off the rubber pads and its a different helmet. I then had a look at where the pads were positioned, and they seem to be far from ideally placed. I moved them forward so the fat end of the pad is directly under the front strap and after a bit of fiddling I have a helmet that feels really solid.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    My new Super 3R rear chin guard locking arm is vibrating/rattles, even though is in the locked down position when riding my MTB. It appears the new design has more clearance in the locking arm for the hinge pins and when locked.

The locking arm can move freely up and down about 0.5mm.

My old Super 2R locking arm are tight and does not rattle when riding.

My quick fix is to tape the whole locking arm in locked position.

Anyone seen or heard of this before?

Nope, not yet. I'd warranty that pig asap! Call Bell if your dealer doesn't just do it. Bell is uber responsive and in my experiences, doesn't mess around and drag out complaints. I mentioned an issue and they said to march right down to the dealer and grab a new 2R on them. They handled all the logistics.

Your bike sucks
    I have a Super 2R - where are you guys/gals putting the chinbar when you're in half-dome mode? Doesn't fit particularly well in the pack (requires a strap) and don't have a good idea for putting it on the bike/body. My dream of dreams would be a low nuisance spot on the bike/body since I prefer to ditch the backpack hydro when I'm riding terrain that would warrant the chinbar.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mortein View Post
    My new Super 3R rear chin guard locking arm is vibrating/rattles, even though is in the locked down position when riding my MTB. It appears the new design has more clearance in the locking arm for the hinge pins and when locked.

The locking arm can move freely up and down about 0.5mm.

My old Super 2R locking arm are tight and does not rattle when riding.

My quick fix is to tape the whole locking arm in locked position.

Anyone seen or heard of this before?
    I have a (now defunct) 2R and a 3R that replaced it. Both are exactly the same in how the chin bar locks in to place. No play or rattle on either. Definitely sounds like a mfg defect.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Mega View Post
    I have a Super 2R - where are you guys/gals putting the chinbar when you're in half-dome mode? Doesn't fit particularly well in the pack (requires a strap) and don't have a good idea for putting it on the bike/body. My dream of dreams would be a low nuisance spot on the bike/body since I prefer to ditch the backpack hydro when I'm riding terrain that would warrant the chinbar.
    My back pack has an external flap with straps that is meant to carry a full face so that is where I strap the chin bar.

The most minimal setup for carrying it that I have seen is how my buddy straps his onto a fairly small fanny pack. Would be cool to put it on the bike but I can't imagine where.

May contain nuts
    Wear it around my neck on the climbs - dont even notice it's there after a minute. My Swichblade/Uvex wearing buddies without backpacks just leave their bars on and look on enviously as they suffer CO2 saturation

Your bike sucks
    I have a Super 2R - where are you guys/gals putting the chinbar when you're in half-dome mode? Doesn't fit particularly well in the pack (requires a strap)
    So I had to go back to a 2015 post but this guy had it right:

Attachment 1004238

This works great on both my Osprey Raptor and Syncros. Next step will be to figure out when I don't have the backpack - per the replies - nothing super graceful or obvious.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017

2R closeup:

3R closeup:

3R closeup:
    I recently got a 2r mips for a killer price, and also I found the fit not perfect and noticed pads on both side close to the back were ruining the otherwise perfect fit...
    And from the pics on the 3r those pads seem gone? And closing up the pic show they're gone for real... So basically make your 2r to 3r by getting rid of these little bast**ds...
    The tiny difference with the foam design is minor compare to the impact of these pads
    so I'll get rid of them in no time... 😁

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Anyone have any crash reports with the chinbar.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I purchased a 3r not too long ago. Overall I'm happy but there are a few annoying details.

1. The Float Fit system pops loose on the trail. This basically negates any fit benefit from the system. I need to look at it further to see what is goIng on but it's a big problem.

2. Cheek pads are still tight but I can shave them down.

3. The helmet seems wide and loose side to side but tight in the back.

4. If you wear it "half dome" then the chin straps originate from and pull on the shell near the outer side of the helmet. This means there is space between the straps and your head until the strap reaches the chin. It also allows for more side to side movement (probably the reason for issue #3). I need to wear the chin strap tighter to achieve the same stability as all my other helmets.

Otherwise, it's good. The only deal breaker is if I can't get that Float System dial/mechanism to lock.

Any advice/thoughts are appreciated.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BeRad View Post
    1. The Float Fit system pops loose on the trail. This basically negates any fit benefit from the system. I need to look at it further to see what is goIng on but it's a big problem.

Otherwise, it's good. The only deal breaker is if I can't get that Float System dial/mechanism to lock.

Any advice/thoughts are appreciated.
    Do you mean the vertical adjustment on the rear strap? If so, I have experienced this moving back "up" on occasion. What I found is that there is a natural place where the float system is grabbing my head (position 2) and if I pull it all the way down to 3, then eventually its going to self adjust back up a notch.

In practice, I just put it at the second spot and tighten it down. It never moves.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Jminus,

I think it is the lock on the adjustment dial that is popping but I'll check the vertical positioning too. Just rode today and no pop but I had the chin bar off... not that it should matter. Do you have a 3r or 2r?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BeRad View Post
    Jminus,

I think it is the lock on the adjustment dial that is popping but I'll check the vertical positioning too. Just rode today and no pop but I had the chin bar off... not that it should matter. Do you have a 3r or 2r?
    I have had the 2 and now have the 3. I definitely don't have any issue with the dial backing off on my 3R. It did happen on my 2R if I had it on super tight.

Brand Ambassador SuperModerator
    Do you mean the vertical adjustment on the rear strap? If so, I have experienced this moving back "up" on occasion. What I found is that there is a natural place where the float system is grabbing my head (position 2) and if I pull it all the way down to 3, then eventually its going to self adjust back up a notch.

In practice, I just put it at the second spot and tighten it down. It never moves.
    Mine does this a lot and I find it very annoying because anything other than the lowest setting hurts my head. A friend of mine used a thin zip tie to lock his into his desired position. I'm going to try it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Last time i had a Super 2 MIPS in medium, it does not fit me until i have removed the pads on top of the ear.

after removing the pads it can fit me and just nice and snug.

Now i intend to buy the Super 3 MIPS, based on the pictures above the Super 3 MIPS does not have the pads anymore.

Should i still go for medium or go for large?
    Last edited by hoyas; 1 Week Ago at 02:25 AM. Reason: edit

mtbr member
    the fit on the 3R got a little larger as the Genius Bell designer of the original Super 2R oversaw that adding the MIPS layer does shrink the size of the Helmet a bit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    thanks for the info.
    But even the regular Super 2 cannot fit me if the pads are there.

mtbr member
    If the old Super 2R mips fit you with the plastic pads removed the new Super 3R mips will sure fit you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Thanks! Ill go for the medium then

Going back to the beginning, the medium 2R with the pads was an annoying fit till the pads were removed. Pads removed, it's great. The 3R MIPS medium is great. The lack of those pads fixed it for me. I would suggest you stick with medium. It should be fine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I bought the large Super 3R based on their sizing and the fact that the 2R seemed to run small. My head is 22.8-23.0 (depends how I measure it) so I fall in between. I think the medium would have been a better fit for me except for the cheek pads but those can be modified. Maybe that helps.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Thanks guys!

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789