Thread: Balaclava Recs

mtbr member

Balaclava Recs

Looking for something that fits nicely under a helmet for mildly cold weather (25-40 degrees).

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I wear the SUGoi one - fits well under the helmet.

mtbr member
    Smartwool.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveF
    Smartwool.
    ^^^This or this.

You will want one that is light weight for those temps.

mtbr member
    oh and one more requirement - must be able to pull down over my chin so that all of my face is exposed. Like I said, it's only mildly cold!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Consider getting one of those specialized "beanies" that basically just covered the top of your head and your ears. Getting my ears clipped by branches when it's cold is just the worst and I used to wear the balaclava for primarily that reason. That got too hot though so i got the beanie thing. Don't really like the balaclava til it's 20 or less along with some wind.

usually cranky
    dont know about you but at 25 with a balaclava on while riding i would sweat my nuts off.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    dont know about you but at 25 with a balaclava on while riding i would sweat my nuts off.

Sounds like you might have it pulled down too far.

The Smartwool 'clava is nice--it's quite thin and comfortable right up into the 40's but with additional layers (a neck gaiter over it for example to cover more of your lower face) it's good as cold as anyone would ride. Basically, using it as a "base layer." Wore mine with the smartwool neck tube for this morning's commute--19 degrees and I was fine. Maybe a little too warm even. I wear the 'clava nearly every day in the season and it's held up fine going on 5 years. It is possible to pull it below my chin, WC, but I think they may have changed the design a bit so can't speak for the newer ones.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    The Under Armour balaclava works great for the conditions you've described. Plus if you do get hot, it's easy to compact down to stuff in a jersey pocket.

If the weather gets really cold, then try out one of the balaclavas for motorcycling that you can get at Cycle Gear. The ones for motorcycling have windproof panels and you'll stay plenty warm.

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveF
    Sounds like you might have it pulled down too far.
    took me a second to get it.