Thread: Balaclava

mtbr member

Balaclava

What does everyone wear for cold weather face protection?

I noticed this was on sale via Under Amour. Anyone have any success with something this thin?

Under Armour HeatGear Tactical Hood | eBay

'Tis but a scratch
    Absolutely. That is pretty much what I wear. I have another skullcap I may pull over that to double up the top of the head. I've been known to add ski goggles on the road rides for the wind-chill factor. I have a couple balaclavas and my preference is the one that has more of a vented mouth and nose. It still provides wind protection, but it breathes a little better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DRILLINDK View Post
    What does everyone wear for cold weather face protection?

I noticed this was on sale via Under Amour. Anyone have any success with something this thin?

Under Armour HeatGear Tactical Hood | eBay
    I bought this one for snowboarding after last season, didn't wear it on the slopes yet but it feels very warm, comfortable and pretty much everybody, who owns it, on the snowboardingforum.com are really happy with them.

What I love the most is how versitable it is, if you can't breathe you lower the face cover below your chin, if it's too hot you take off the piece that covers the upper part of your head but you can still cover your mouth and nose etc... Only downside imho is it's price.

Just be careful not to buy too small, it could restrict your breathing when covering your nose and mouth

Hope this helps.
    What we do in life, echoes in eternity...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Balaclava works great when it's really cold. Do NOT buy the heavy weight fleece ones for cycling, just too warm unless you're riding in 10 degrees F or colder.
    What I wear most in winter is the Icebreaker 200 pocket beanie, perfect under a helmet. When it's too cold for that I break out the balaclava.
    agmtb

mtbr member
    anyone know if there is a champion brand or some other off-brand of these that is similar and cheaper? I've found all of the c9 stuff from target to perform exactly the same as the real under armour.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Have one, and it's been great. I have the cold gear evo though. Same price and a little warmer.

Under Armour EVO ColdGear Hood Black | eBay

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by abegold View Post
    Balaclava works great when it's really cold. Do NOT buy the heavy weight fleece ones for cycling, just too warm unless you're riding in 10 degrees F or colder.
    What I wear most in winter is the Icebreaker 200 pocket beanie, perfect under a helmet. When it's too cold for that I break out the balaclava.
    +1 I wear a Sugoi beanie down to ~15 deg. F and break out a slightly fleecy balaclava when it is colder, or on exceptionally windy days when it is 40 deg. F or less .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ronyc View Post
    Have one, and it's been great. I have the cold gear evo though. Same price and a little warmer.

Under Armour EVO ColdGear Hood Black | eBay
    What's the difference between the two? They had to go and ruin that one by placing the Under Armour logo on the forehead. Wth?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The coldgear is a bit warmer than the one OP posted.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I actually don't own a non-fleecy balaclava. I've got a knit one and a fleece one, and never use the knit when I ride.

You can blow the extra money on something with a brand name, or that has frills like vents or 'anti-fog' technology, but at the end of the day, the best kind is the simplest: a hole for your face and nothing else. I recommend, if you are going to get a balaclava, get one with that is 100 weight fleece (or its equivalent) as you will get the most use out of it. Your noggin might get warm, but you can pull down the hood of the balaclava and wear it as a scarf, or pull down the face if you are getting too warm there. Seirus makes one that has no frills and will get the job done for cheap.