Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Baggy shorts, a rant and need advice...

OK, so I have been riding a couple years now, the first year I was using chamois/liner Pearl Izumi under regular lightweight baggy shorts and last year I bought some Pearl Izumi shorts with a new detachable liner so I decided to get a couple pair of new baggy's and liners for the new year.

I went to 3 shops and all of the had nothing but black stuff down to below my knees. I can find stuff in other colors I like online but the prices are so high I don't care to buy and hassle with returning if I don't like the fit, etc. I mean I know why we use black shorts as it shows less staining but really, I live in Dallas Texas, our starting grids at races might as well be the surface of the sun, I don't need to be looking like I came from the wake of a famous mountain biker in black/gray shorts and a black jersey with a dark gray helmet cooking me in direct sunlight.

So, I am considering buying some nice light shorts that I like and can pick up at a reasonable price locally, some thin athletic shorts im material similar to the tech shorts I ride in and just pick up some new liners to go with them. Is this smart or should I just suck it up and buy real shorts at $50-80 a pair?
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

Hey, a Bright Shiny Thing
    May 2010
    I'd try to get some MTB specific shorts first. Most internet companies have great return policies, Hucknroll is one of them. I always look on their closeouts and last years models sales to get decent shorts. I really like the Dakine syncline and anything by Royal racing. Department of goods sometimes has great specials.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I'm a huge fan of bibs rather than std chamois bottoms so I buy baggies/boardshorts to wear over my bibs. I browse the clearance racks at surfshops, rei and online dealers (like hucknroll) for deals. I also don't like wearing the chamois before/after rides for any extended length of time so having separate chamois allows me change out of it.

EDR
    Board shorts over chamois for me as well. Usually pick up a couple pair of O'neil or similar board shorts at Costco each spring for under 20 bucks each. Works great but if you are racing just make sure the crotch is not too deep. That might be a problem for some but it's never been an issue catching on the seat for me.

mtbr member
    I just picked up the fox baseline combo from bluesky cycling for $54 + shipping and am very happy with them. The shorts are padded well and breathe very well. Both the jersey and shorts have zip up pockets too, which are nice. May want to try those? They have fast shipping and a good return policy. They have some Hoss shorts too that are different patterns for a good price also!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Why would you wear board shorts over knicks? They don't add anything except maybe get caught on your seat. If you are racing why not just wear bib-knicks? I realise the look isn't for everyone but its not like you are hanging out at the pub in them- race and get changed afterwards?
    Of course i'm a roadie turned MTB'er though...

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I'm a road biker before mtbr. I already had several Castelli, pearl izumi and capo bibs (ans sdorts) I prefer bibs and shorts over them. I prefer bibs because the purpose of bibs is to NOT have a waste band that is tight around your middle, Which can be restricting and uncomfortable. Plus bibs have " suspenders so they dont ride down. Try some. You won't regret it. Ont tip is get a good brand. Don't cheap out. You get what you pay for. Look to spend ~$80 to ~150 for a good pair. I just got a pair of castelli Velocissimo for $56 shipped from ebay. They are REALLY nice. I bought some cool night digi camo shorts at ross for $16. I wear shorts over my kit to keep it from getting dirt stains/ damage. I would rather screw up a pr of $16 shorts than $100 bibs!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    TLD Skyline.....Baggy but not too. They breathe well and are super comfortable. $65. 5 color options.....Pricepoint had the Brown on sale a while back.........for like $50. I love mine....will be buying another pair.
    The more you ride it, the lighter it gets.
    '12 Santa Cruz TallBoy
    '11 Vassago Bandersnatch
    '08 Specilaized Pitch Pro

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    If you ever try bibs you'll not go back to baggy's for comfort. Sine you live in Dallas, I suggest Plano cycle or Richardson bikemart to try. The RBM store on Campbell/coit has a large selection but price for the good stuff will be $ 80+ ..... And for bibs probably $150+

Join DORBA and you get a discount at most retail stores.
    Last edited by Jfdawson; 03-28-2012 at 09:09 PM.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by m3bas View Post
    Why would you wear board shorts over knicks? They don't add anything except maybe get caught on your seat. If you are racing why not just wear bib-knicks? I realise the look isn't for everyone but its not like you are hanging out at the pub in them- race and get changed afterwards?
    Of course i'm a roadie turned MTB'er though...
    WTH are knicks? If you are referring to padded lycra shorts then to answer the question, I guess I wear board shorts over them so I don't look like a roadie turned mtb'r.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Knickers= 3/4 length ( below the knee, but above the calf)

endorphin junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    WTH are knicks? If you are referring to padded lycra shorts then to answer the question, I guess I wear board shorts over them so I don't look like a roadie turned mtb'r.
    Knicks = Knickers, over the knee length for cooler weather.

I don't really have an answer for the OP, except to say that if you go for online options, I love Voler products, and have them in multiple styles and weights. They have a great fit, hold up well under heavy use, the prices are very competitive, and their return policy and customer support is solid. (No, I'm not an employee).

I know it's a matter of personal preference as to "look", but I wear bib-style shorts/knickers/tights (full leg) and rarely wear baggies over them. They're more comfortable, more form fitting, less snag and drag. I throw on a pair of shorts for the pub afterward. For both road and MTB, I'm more about performance and comfort, and don't much care if someone else thinks I look like a dork on a bike.

Cause let's face it, none of us looks cool in those helmets anyway.

For commuting, weather it's business or social destination, I wear a Voler tri-short (triathlon) that has shorter leg length and thinner pad, and wear durable but stylish looking shorts/pants over them. I typically get those from REI.
    "Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."
    T.S. Eliot

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Just went with my first bibs this week. They were very comfortable. I'm sold! First day I went with the bib with some baggies I had cut the liner out of. Second day I just went with the bib. Felt better without the outter shell. I understand the deal about folks being uncomfortable about the look of tights but, they feel better to me.

smartass
    Quote Originally Posted by HalFliP View Post
    TLD Skyline.....Baggy but not too. They breathe well and are super comfortable. $65. 5 color options.....Pricepoint had the Brown on sale a while back.........for like $50. I love mine....will be buying another pair.
    2nd the TLD Skyline's. Wear over the liner of your choice. And if any shorts are too long for you, just get them hemmed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I wear under armor boxer jocks daily, and just toss cheap gym shorts over them to ride. Cheap, easy, comfy.

Huffy Rider
    I live in AZ and have he same problem...I am learning how sew. My first shorts will be light tan, no seams in the crotch, cargo pockets and just the right length!

Huffy Rider
    I live in AZ and have the same problem...I am learning how sew. My first shorts will be light tan, no seams in the crotch, cargo pockets and just the right length!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Pearl Izumi Canyon shorts are available in grey and light brown. Only downside is they only have one pocket at the knee.

DynoDon
    I hate liners, they just don't hold my junk close enough to not get slammed often, so I got some high end road shorts that hold things much closer to the body, then I wear the baggie shorts of my choice. I was thinking I might need a cup until I came up with this combination, no junk slams in the 6 months I've been wearing road shorts under my baggies.
    You could do like Lance (Robin Williams calls Lance the Uniballer) get one ball cut off, and solve half of the slamming problem, but the road shorts seem to work great,(no surgery neccessary) Happy Trails
    Four wheels transport the body,

Two wheels transport the soul !!!!

mtbr member
    My combo for all day comfort, Pearl Izumi bib with a Dickie's short over. I get great comfort and junk padding, plus the dickies are really durable and protect the more expensive bib in crashes and snags from bushes and trees, plus you get pockets that are easier to access than stopping to grab something out of your pack.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    OK. I just started mountain biking again after a 6 yr hiatus. I picked up a pair of mtn biking shorts (baggy shorts w/ liner/chamois). I don't get it. It's fvcking hot and seems pointless. I went back to my road biking shorts and have better mobility and comfort.

Other than the look, is there any benefit whatsoever to mtn biking shorts? I don't really need pockets as I have pockets on my jersey and lots of storage on my camelbak.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by AlterZgo View Post

Other than the look, is there any benefit whatsoever to mtn biking shorts? I don't really need pockets as I have pockets on my jersey and lots of storage on my camelbak.
    The baggies have saved my ass from getting hamburgered a couple of times. I probably would have had the naked ride of shame in lycra.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by madsedan View Post
    So, I am considering buying some nice light shorts that I like and can pick up at a reasonable price locally, some thin athletic shorts im material similar to the tech shorts I ride in and just pick up some new liners to go with them.
    Yup, this. You can choose shorts and liners separately to get the best combo at the best price.

DynoDon
    Liners that I've had are a bit flimsy, they don't hold the junk tight enough, I keep getteing ball bashed, I like road bike shorts under shorts of my choice, road shorts hold the junk tighter against the body.
    Four wheels transport the body,

Two wheels transport the soul !!!!

mtbr member
    I too found road shorts to be far better than any liner or MTB short. If you must wear baggies over them go ahead, but I don't. If there's someone on the trails who's going to look down on me 'cause I'm wearing cycling gear, I don't care about their opinion anyway.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast