Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Baggies vs. Tights...from a practical standpoint???

Quick question on this...not at all from a style perspective....I find that when I ride I often get my spanex shorts "hung up" on my seat when I am sliding back behind my seat on a descent and then going to slide back on my seat. I often like to get way back behind my seat in such situations.

Would a baggy set of shorts help with this, or would it make it worse?

I am not not unhappy with my my spandex shorts, but would love it if I could prevent this from happening in the future.

thanks
    Matt

mtbr member
    I rode in spandex shorts from the late 80s until 2006 or so. I ride in baggies now.

Spandex is superior in every aspect...except looks. At age 47, I'm not going to subject myself or anyone else to seeing me in Spandex.

Baggy shorts tend to ride up. It's not uncommon for the baggy hem to be higher on my leg than the spandex hem underneath. And I'm a short rider so shorts tend to run long on me.

Baggies will sometimes snag on the nose of the saddle when quickly transitioning from weight forward to weight back. It's never been catastrophic for me, just noticeable. That never happened to me in Spandex.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I'm not a fan of Spandex. So I ride with Cargo shorts and Padded underwear and don't have any issues. I have some padded baggy shorts but they get cought on the seat or slowly get pulled down.
    Last edited by 50calray; 01-06-2013 at 08:33 PM.

mtbr member
    Baggy shorts are much nicer in a crash too. Having a layer of loose fabric on top of lycra shorts helps prevent trail rash.

Well designed (and fitted) baggy bike shorts shouldn't hang too loose in the crotch. I don't have any saddle snagging issues with any of the shorts I currently own.
    Loud hubs save lives. http://about.me/splat/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by splatworldwide View Post
    Baggy shorts are much nicer in a crash too. Having a layer of loose fabric on top of lycra shorts helps prevent trail rash.
    Baggies are more resistant to damage as well.

Something I will never forget is the sight of a gentleman standing up after a crash and his bib shorts falling apart, leaving his gonads flapping in the breeze.

Laughed so hard I nearly passed out.

mtbr member
    well made and fitting baggies won't get hung up. But tights that fit won't either; it sounds like your spandex is baggy...

I agree, the only real advantage with baggies is looks (and pockets), but that's enough for me these days.

mtbr member
    @bowler - maybe your seat is to high when you drop in? Dropper post maybe? my reasoning is that you say it happens often. have you played with position/technique on these steeps? doesn't sound like its neccessarily a clothing issue since most tech riding have riders in baggies..dh, fr, am, trials.. check out some royalracing baggies. they tend to be cut closer to the legs.
    always face the herd

Cow Clicker
    Are you wearing spandex shorts or proper MTB spandex with a chamois? I wear Canari Evolution bibs to keep the crotch and waist line where it belongs. I'll wear a pair of Prana Mojo shorts over them if I feel like doing extra laundry.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Aim the saddle nose down a few degrees, no snagging. And less shots to the boys!
    agmtb

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinGT View Post
    I rode in spandex shorts from the late 80s until 2006 or so. I ride in baggies now.

Spandex is superior in every aspect...except looks. At age 47, I'm not going to subject myself or anyone else to seeing me in Spandex.

Baggy shorts tend to ride up. It's not uncommon for the baggy hem to be higher on my leg than the spandex hem underneath. And I'm a short rider so shorts tend to run long on me.

Baggies will sometimes snag on the nose of the saddle when quickly transitioning from weight forward to weight back. It's never been catastrophic for me, just noticeable. That never happened to me in Spandex.
    I have ridden in both, but prefer the spandex due to function. They work. They light and breathable, non restricting, and good ones never snag on anything. I have baggies that would strict my legs at least a little and get caught on my seat.

The only thing baggies are good for is that in crash they are and extra layer to prevent scraping. Oh and they do look alot better.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    I used to only wear spandex when I only rode with other racer types, and I still think it's the better choice for riding. Now that I ride with trail riders in baggies, I got myself a pair of baggies. I'm not ashamed to admit it's 100% for appearance with 0 practical application.

Ridin' Furry
    Im a big dude and i always had a problem with baggies snagging my saddle also... sticking with Lycra.

Only time it gets awkward is standing in line at Starbucks. OH well hehehehe

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I have used baggie and tight shorts; prefer baggies. If you can find a baggie that is not too loose, your hang-ups may be minimized. Bellwether Ultralights fit me better than several others I have tried.

urmb
    “Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of riding a \mountain or fat/ bike.” ~ John F. Kennedy

mtbr member
    I don;t care how practical spandex is, I'll never be caught dead in the damn things.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bowler1 View Post
    Quick question on this...not at all from a style perspective....I find that when I ride I often get my spanex shorts "hung up" on my seat when I am sliding back behind my seat on a descent and then going to slide back on my seat. I often like to get way back behind my seat in such situations.

Would a baggy set of shorts help with this, or would it make it worse?

I am not not unhappy with my my spandex shorts, but would love it if I could prevent this from happening in the future.

thanks
    Matt
    From a purely practical standpoint, lycra wins, IME. Works well on mtb and road. Also, I find them a lot more useful in the cold weather, as you can just put leggings/tights over them.

That said, it's not always strictly about practicality I have baggies as well as lycra and wear baggies for most mtb rides when it's not cold out.

Another point is that bad baggies really suck. The cheap pair I got from Nashbar and the Hoss Ponderossa pair were much worse than even the cheapest lycra.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

Cheesiest
    I've had good luck with PI baggies. They fit more snugly (w/o clinging) than other baggies I have tried.
    "Paved roads...just another example of needless government spending"—paraphrased from rhino_adv

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Sounds like your spandex is worn out, never had a problem with them catching on the saddle before. If you try a pair of baggies, make sure they have adjustable waist. I have some that stay in place with the original liners, but if wear them with bibs they slide down and bind a bit while riding. No belt loops and no adjustable waist on those. Baggies are much warmer especially in the summer or during hard efforts so keep that in mind. It's good for winter day descents though as it provides a modicum of wind protection.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Buys some decent Pearl Izumi baggies in the right size for waist. They are perfect. Don't catch up, nice padding, good styling, well designed.

Spandex if you are racing only, otherwise baggies for the win.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nail Every Trail View Post
    Buys some decent Pearl Izumi baggies in the right size for waist. They are perfect. Don't catch up, nice padding, good styling, well designed.

Spandex if you are racing only, otherwise baggies for the win.
    Bwhahahahahah.

At first glance I thought you were "Nail Every Tail".

Oh yeah, Lycra for the win. Baggies get hung up when I get off the rear of the saddle. I don't give a damn what people think they look like. When did MTB'ers get so hung up on
    what others think? <--- especially about function over form.
    Nobody cares...........

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I wear boxers, so the natural short selection for me was baggy. I started out wearing the padded spandex underneath, but that was just because my ass got sore from long rides. Now it's just free balling under a pair of baggies. If I'm riding a trail that's going to bite I'll wear a padded armor under the shorts.

I know the debate is as old as this website, but unless you are racing or training, riding around in spandex is not a good look.

derp
    Baggies for me. I NEVER had my baggies get stuck on the seat but i always make sure i get proper/quality baggies with a proper fit. They offer more protection in a crash, i get useful pockets and wearing knee-pads is really uncomfortable to me.
    2006 Cannondale Rush 650b
    2010 Cannondale Trail SL 650b
    2013 Norco Range Killer-B

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by splatworldwide View Post

Well designed (and fitted) baggy bike shorts shouldn't hang too loose in the crotch. I don't have any saddle snagging issues with any of the shorts I currently own.

This^^^

2 layers is better than one thin one.

As for your problem, you might try a bib vs shorts. The bibs tend to hold the chamois in place better so it won't hook on your saddle.

As for baggies, I ride them with a good spandex under it. You get the good chamois for climbs, and baggies for protection and storage. Look at getting baggies that fit a little snug. It will help them from catching on the saddle.

If all else fails, get a dropper post and not worry about it. Oh and you'll need more toothpicks too because of the bugs in your teeth from smiling as you go that much faster DH
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

obsessive
    Some saddles are more grabby than others! The textures, angles, and shapes vary wildly. Consider testing a different saddle.
    Go out and ride your bike

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post
    Baggies are more resistant to damage as well.

Something I will never forget is the sight of a gentleman standing up after a crash and his bib shorts falling apart, leaving his gonads flapping in the breeze.

Laughed so hard I nearly passed out.
    That is hysterical!
    2014 Giant Anthem X Advanced 1 29er
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper EVO HT 29er

Bikes/Beers/BustinAss
    Dec 2012
    Baggies cost too much.

I lay on the bed with my legs pulled back by my head and get my wife to beat my taint with a stick. Mui Thai fighters use the same concept by beating trees with their arms to build up scar tissue. Rock hard taint= no need for pads.
    I ride because exercising sucks, it's a lot of fun, and it makes beer taste oh so much better.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast