Baggies or Lycra

Printable View

• 10-24-2010
    Copes_X3
    Baggies or Lycra
    As we all probably know there has long been talk about the right image for our sport. We see the DH/4X scene follow the way of MX and the XC/Enduro crowd follow the way of the Roadies.

With the advancement of baggy trail kit in both performance, through chamois and padded liners, and style through understated designs and earthy pastel colour. Are we not seeing the direction our sport should take through an amalgamation of our two greatest influences.

My question to you all is...

How do you feel about the image of our sport?
    Do we all have a responsibility to promote the "coolness" of our sport?
    What do you ride and what do you wear when riding?
    and
    Would you change for the advancement of our sport? eg burn that lycra, ditch that hyper-active MX gear.
  • 10-24-2010
    komekomegaijin
    Personally, promoting the sport is the last thing I think of when choosing what to wear riding. It's a purely pragmatic question for me and I'll wear what I personally will feel physically most comfortable in. Looks doesn't really factor into the equation for me.
    I do like the old cliche my Dad drummed into me as kid though, "variety is the spice of life". I like to have options. I want to be able to chose from earthy tones or fluro pink and orange if the mood struck me!

As for the image of the sport I've never been into the "hardcore" image some elements of mountain biking took on, as well as a lot of the aggressive graphics and style of products nowadays. While I consider myself first and foremost a "mountain biker" I wonder if the aggressive elements of the sport that I'm not so interested in have been part of the cause of why I now consider myself more of a "cyclist" than "mountain biker"?

I think the best things promotion of the sport are to just to do it, enjoy it, spread the word and most of all, don't do anything to give it a bad name. I don't think what we wear riding is that much of an issue.
  • 10-24-2010
    mike_d_1583
    I just try to wear what feels comfortable with the current weather conditions. I focus on my riding skills first, fasion is rarely thought of. I've raced XC wearing a wife beater and New Balance shoes, I mean who cares? All that skin tight crap makes me laugh, it doesn't make you faster, what makes you faster is experience. Don't forget to wear a helmet on the trails too, or you'll look pretty stupid in a coma.
  • 10-24-2010
    jason333
    I wear padded shorts under regular shorts. I don't think the world is ready for my figure.

The only downside is my back waste catching the front of my seat from time to time.

If I HAD to choose one, I would probably do the padded shorts for comfort reasons.

I am still pretty new so no way the seat of my pants will hit the rear tire and require the sturdy mtn bike shorts.

Function > form for me :)
  • 10-24-2010
    Blksocks
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_d_1583
    I just try to wear what feels comfortable with the current weather conditions. I focus on my riding skills first, fasion is rarely thought of. I've raced XC wearing a wife beater and New Balance shoes, I mean who cares? All that skin tight crap makes me laugh, it doesn't make you faster, what makes you faster is experience. Don't forget to wear a helmet on the trails too, or you'll look pretty stupid in a coma.

Same here. beaters, hanes, fruit of the loom shirts... who cares. Baggie comfortable shorts... 10x better than that tight crap that makes you look funny. I ran into guys on forest roads wearing tight crap and that was pretty hilarious. forest roads + tight bibs = you're over doing it.

Btw, reebok shoes and flat pedals = smooth riding. :thumbsup:
  • 10-24-2010
    Repack Rider
    Lycra bibs under cargo shorts held up with suspenders to keep the crotch from hanging up on the saddle. Jersey over suspenders.

Why would anyone care whether the way they dressed affected the "image" of the sport? Who, exactly is looking?
  • 10-24-2010
    sean salach
    Depends on the situation I'm riding in.

Commuting to work or running errands: Baggies over lycra
    XC: lycra
    Trials or street: Baggies
    Bar: Baggies, maybe over lycra
    Touring: Baggies over lycra
  • 10-24-2010
    ZigaK
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Blksocks
    Same here. beaters, hanes, fruit of the loom shirts... who cares. Baggie comfortable shorts... 10x better than that tight crap that makes you look funny. I ran into guys on forest roads wearing tight crap and that was pretty hilarious. forest roads + tight bibs = you're over doing it.

Btw, reebok shoes and flat pedals = smooth riding. :thumbsup:

first you start by saying who cares what you wear, and in the next sentence you diss the tight crap somebody else is wearing ...
    go figure
  • 10-24-2010
    mike_d_1583
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jason333
    The only downside is my back waste catching the front of my seat from time to time.

How far forward to you lean in order for your back waist to hit the front of your saddle. Or did you mean waste as in poop?:D
  • 10-24-2010
    Circlip
    Copy of text below from another post of mine on another similar thread (probably thread number one billion of the one zillion lycra vs. baggies threads that have been started on MTBR)

-------------------------------

Insecure Rider/Man "A": I don't want to frighten you, but there's a guy over with his bike near the fence there wearing spandex shorts.

Insecure Rider/Man "B": Really? No way!

Insecure Rider/Man "A": Whatever you do, don't look to your left.

Insecure Rider/Man "B": Crap, I think I just looked to my left!

Insecure Rider/Man "A": OK, you looked to your left, but tell me now and tell me truthfully 'cause this is important. Did you in any way look in the direction of the guy's crotch?

Insecure Rider/Man "B": Umm...Uhhh... No, I don't think so.

Insecure Rider/Man "A": You don't sound convincing. I'm going to give you one more chance to answer that question again. Did you, or did you not look in the direction of the guy's crotch?

Insecure Rider/Man "B": No!!! (whimpering)

Insecure Rider/Man "A": It didn't even come into your field of view, not even when you looked over at him standing by his bike?

Insecure Rider/Man "B": Well, I guess it did just a little. But just in the overall field of view, ya know.

Insecure Rider/Man "A": I knew it!

Insecure Rider/Man "B": Did you see it too? You were the one who saw him first.

Insecure Rider/Man "A": No, I'm a real man. My brain selectively filters out any visual representations of other mens' crotches and penises. Once it passes through my visual cortex, all I see is a fuzzy blanked out area where the crotch used to be.

Insecure Rider/Man "B": That's just weird. I don't believe you.

Insecure Rider/Man "A": Don't sweat it. Not every man can be as real of a man as I am. That would be an unreasonable standard to expect you to match up to.

Insecure Rider/Man "B": Shucks, I feel so dirty now. Do you think anyone else thinks that I may have seen the guy's crotch? That would be bad.

Insecure Rider/Man "A": It's OK, you'll get over it. For now though, would you mind standing a few feet away from me? It would be better if it didn't appear like I am am hanging out with a guy who looked at another guy's crotch.

Insecure Rider/Man "B": Geez, that's harsh.

Insecure Rider/Man "A": Just do me a favour and don't stand at any of the urinals beside me in the washroom anymore, OK?

Insecure Rider/Man "B": OK (snobbing / sniffling)
  • 10-24-2010
    mikeb
    baggies over lycra every time and i don't give a rat's hindquarters about what anybody thinks...
  • 10-24-2010
    anotherguy
    Sequined banana hammock. You really don't want to be behind me on the trails.
  • 10-24-2010
    taefoto
    Just go on one long ride with a good bib and your life will be changed. Do the same ride with a good bib and some chamois cream and you'll be hesitant to ever ride a bike without a bib ever again.

The only time I'll ever put anything over my bib is if I have to do non-bikey stuff (cycling date to the museum and lunch) or if I expect to do some falling and don't want to mess up my bibs (downhill day at the ski hill or some extra technical riding).
  • 10-24-2010
    Blksocks
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ZigaK
    first you start by saying who cares what you wear, and in the next sentence you diss the tight crap somebody else is wearing ...
    go figure

Yea, I saw that too but didn't really care to correct it because no matter what some runt will find something else and complain.

:thumbsup:
  • 10-24-2010
    lamb
    If we admit it or not, we all care about fashion- I think we just get hung up on the word "fashion". You need to think of fashion as your style, and WE all have that. The fellas that wear the wife beaters, that is your fashion/style.The guys that wear lycra, that is your style.Both are making a statement to other people, that is how we define ourselves. I understand that people dont care about fashion in the sense of what is current and trendy, but we all do have our own style. I think as far as promoting the sport, I believe many marketing depts probably have been pushing the baggy/street style that we are seeing so much of for the simple reason that they want to appeal to as many folks as possible. The marketing machine also needs younger people to replenish you geezers that are starting to retire to the rail trails.

I think we will always have variety and will not see an end to the lycra. Why would we, it has been tried and tested for so long. I wear both baggies or lycra depending on what I am doing. I would bet that the majority of cyclists are that way, especially if you ride the road as well. Look how the marketing machine is splitting up the mtb category now- xc, trail, AM, DH, FR. They want you to know that you need several bikes, and in reality you probably do if you want to get the most out of your experience. This happens in everything- making more categories and choices to increase sales. I used to whitewater kayak, and most boaters I knew had a creek boat, playboat, and possibly a river runner. Most of what we see going on is marketing, but I myself dont mind cause it is fun to have choices and it keeps the sport fresh.
  • 10-24-2010
    bsieb
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Repack Rider
    Lycra bibs under cargo shorts held up with suspenders to keep the crotch from hanging up on the saddle. Jersey over suspenders.

Why would anyone care whether the way they dressed affected the "image" of the sport? Who, exactly is looking?

I like this, might give it a try RR. I've had trouble in the past with a suspender letting loose when I bend over and really hammer. I got a pair at the Carhart store a while back that have sharky looking jaws and are huge, figure they might work. I rode bib tights over bib shorts a few times and didn't like the pressure on my shoulders, but I guess the suspenders are adjustable.

I guess I'm sensitive about looking old and frumpy, to be honest. But what the hell, that leads to dying your hair and I ain't playin that gig. :D
  • 10-24-2010
    GotoDengo
    Padded lycra boxer briefs. After spending a million dollars on various padded baggies/lycra, both short and log, I picked up a pair of padded briefs at REI. Much better padding than more expensive "dedicated" biking gear. A few pair at $25 and I now wear whatever I want... mostly board shorts.
  • 10-24-2010
    TR
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GotoDengo
    A few pair at $25 and I now wear whatever I want... mostly board shorts.

Which will be awesome!!!!
    When you are riding to the beach for a swim or surf. :D
  • 10-24-2010
    GotoDengo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TR
    Which will be awesome!!!!
    When you are riding to the beach for a swim or surf. :D

Well, they're Fox board shorts, which I guess makes me cool :cornut: No seam in crotch, which is comfy, cheaper than MTB baggies, and I can wear them as normal shorts without looking like I dumped in my pants :) . Nice sealed pockets, too -- what's the point of open pockets on so many mountain baggies?
  • 10-24-2010
    rzozaya1969
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Copes_X3
    As we all probably know there has long been talk about the right image for our sport. We see the DH/4X scene follow the way of MX and the XC/Enduro crowd follow the way of the Roadies.

With the advancement of baggy trail kit in both performance, through chamois and padded liners, and style through understated designs and earthy pastel colour. Are we not seeing the direction our sport should take through an amalgamation of our two greatest influences.

My question to you all is...

How do you feel about the image of our sport?
    Do we all have a responsibility to promote the "coolness" of our sport?
    What do you ride and what do you wear when riding?
    and
    Would you change for the advancement of our sport? eg burn that lycra, ditch that hyper-active MX gear.

Personally, I don't care what people feel of how I look when riding, I pretty much think that our attitude is more important to promote the sport than how we look like. I don't think advancement means that I must wear something because I must. If I like how something fits/feels, then I'm up for it, but not just because it's the 'in' or the fashionable, or the accepted look garment.

I wear swimming trunks and feel confortable in them, I've tried lycras and I feel like I'm wearing diapers, but some people really like lycras, so each must choose whatever feels confortable for them.

I don't feel responsible that I must wear something special (unless you mean helmet, which is a must wear, but what I wear for helmet, that's my choice).
  • 10-25-2010
    JonathanGennick
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Repack Rider

One year our bike club rode in the local, 4th of July parade. About half-way through the parade I looked around and realized that everyone but me was clad in spandex and a tight-fitting, yellow-bumblebee-color jersey. Picture it: a bunch of middle-aged adults bulging in the wrong places all wearing spandex. It was actually an awful sight. All I could think was that we surely wouldn't be swarmed with kids wanting to join the sport and buy into *that* image.
  • 10-25-2010
    Sid Nitzerglobin
    The most important thing is to wear whatever works for you in current conditions. Some guys proclaim that their tighty whities, duck canvas work pants, cotton tee shirt and army surplus combat boots are the only way to go, others are insistent that unless you're wearing skin tight team kits and $450 shoes you're doing it wrong. Trying to decide on some monolithic uniform guidelines for what people should wear when MTBing does more to hurt the image I would have of the sport than help it IMO. Makes it appear like much more of a snobbish group think clique like the stereotype of stuck up roadies.

For me it's baggies over bibs until it hits >85 or 90 F w/ high humidity then I just wear the bibs. On top it's going to be either one of my understated, pretty much monochromatic MTB jerseys or a tech tee.
  • 10-25-2010
    RIS
    I wear lycra, to make other men feel inadequate. :D
  • 10-25-2010
    marzjennings
    Lycra bibs almost every ride as I don't want to be a slow arse baggie rider.
  • 10-25-2010
    MrOldLude
    I only ride mtb's right now, so I go baggy. Also, I'm pretty slow.