mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Baggies for a convert?

I'm moving from XC to AM and feeeling the pressure to drop my lycra bibs and fitted jerseys. I've tried baggies before and my concern is the shorts getting caught up on my saddle when I move behind it on technical descents.

What are some good, not too expensive, AM shorts recommendations?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Jenson has some great deals, but I highly suggest trying on shorts at your LBS, you can see how they feel and buy your first set there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Yooper, I can't really help you with not too expensive, but, TLD is about to launch on monday an all new ACE collection, that is focused on riders like you, performance XC riders and those that are coming from lycra to baggies. We redesigned our entire ACE collection. The NEW ACE shorts will be lower waisted than ever, shorter, more tapered race fit, and come with a liner short if you want to use it. There is an ad running in BIKE magazine of the new ACE, came out a bit before we launched the shorts, but you will be able to see them monday and purchase from your local dealer, dotcom or TLD.com.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Just checked around for the skyline model in size 30 but every site ether says discontinued or doesn't even list size 30. Am I just not drinking enough beer to wear TLD?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    The gray plaid C9 golf shorts from Target. ~$25 and 90/10 poly/lycra so they have a bit of stretch. Fairly narrow legs, don't catch the saddle, and very hard-wearing.

I wear my Assos or Castelli or Capo bibs underneath.

(Only the charcoal gray ones are 90/10 - the rest are 100% poly, so get the gray ones.)

mtbr member
    Hi Yooper, I've also been frustrated by baggy shorts getting caught on the saddle and their waistband cutting into my gut.

It bugged me enough that I started DirtBaggies, making premium quality bib-liners (they've been compared to Assos) that tether your baggy shorts to a bib so that it can't slip down, and have a fly front so that you can pee like a big boy.

Like Stik I can't help you with 'not too expensive'. Though we have some sample sale bibs available at the moment, and we're clearing out the older 'classic' style baggy short. If you're on-the-fence about trying these, we offer a 60 day no quibble return policy.
    "...DirtBaggies may also be the best baggy mountain bike shorts on the market." Velonews - Click to check out other reviews.

mtbr member
    Stretch boardshorts from the surf brands work great.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Jeans man, jeans! Riding harder means hitting the ground harder. You are going to want clothing that will help you keep your skin on, and deflect concrete and rough ground abrasion. The best materials for AM are Jeans and rip-stop, whether it be shorts or pants. I bought a pair of cheap ass rip-stop pants from the surplus store last season. They are dirty and have slide along the ground several times now, and have not ripped.

The real question is, spend a bunch of money on flashy, MTB designed clothing, or save money for parts by buying secondhand jeans and one color army surplus pants, that are generally less than $30?

My thing is, why buy a $60+ pair of rip-stop shorts/pants from an LBS or online retailer, when you can buy a $25 pair of rip-stop from surplus, or Jeans at a second hand store, that will hold up just as well. And, if you are good at sowing, or know someone who is, you can get a one-of-a-kind custom look without paying the price of a new 8/9spd crankset.

Edit: Also, no need for baggy, just go loose! I ride with loose, not baggy clothing and have not ever been caught up by my MTB.

Hope this helps-
    Observe, report.