It's a Turner!

Bad crash - need suggestions for chest/shoulder armor

A couple of weeks ago I crashed on a dirt jump - plowed myself into the ground. Hit hard. Broke my helmet in 7 places and crunched my shoulders/chest. Couldn't move for 15min until stuff popped back into place. Luckily I didn't break anything (well I don't think so), but it's still painful enough to not want to repeat.
    Anyway I was looking for lightweight, breathable chest/shoulder protection. There seem to be two basic types - the batman suit-type armor like the Rockgardn and the BMX/MX hard plastic type like the Fox Roost (what is roost?). Can anyone explain the differences between these two types and which one would be better suited for protection on jumps/drops vs DH and for keeping as cool as possible (I live in the South)? Can you wear a hydration pack with the MX type?
    I didn't just drink the koolaid, I stuck my head in the punchbowl.

I like air!
    Quote Originally Posted by sirbikesalot
    A couple of weeks ago I crashed on a dirt jump - plowed myself into the ground. Hit hard. Broke my helmet in 7 places and crunched my shoulders/chest. Couldn't move for 15min until stuff popped back into place. Luckily I didn't break anything (well I don't think so), but it's still painful enough to not want to repeat.
    Anyway I was looking for lightweight, breathable chest/shoulder protection. There seem to be two basic types - the batman suit-type armor like the Rockgardn and the BMX/MX hard plastic type like the Fox Roost (what is roost?). Can anyone explain the differences between these two types and which one would be better suited for protection on jumps/drops vs DH and for keeping as cool as possible (I live in the South)? Can you wear a hydration pack with the MX type?

Well the "Batman type" offers better crash adsorption that stays in place better (not to mention the super powers) and the Fox plastic chest protestors that look like plastic vests really only offer protection from scrapes.

slaving away in paradise
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by milhouse
    Well the "Batman type" offers better crash adsorption that stays in place better (not to mention the super powers) and the Fox plastic chest protestors that look like plastic vests really only offer protection from scrapes.
    Yes, but the roost protectors are cooler.

Roost is the stuff that motorcycles spit out the back when they throttle up while destroying your new jumps. If you are on a MX bike and someone in front of you throttles fast while destroying your new jump you could get hit with rocks and things that made up your new jump that the person in front of your is destroying. So...if your not riding w/ someone who is "roosting" in front of you destroying your new jump, then you have no issues w/ roost. BUt if you ride a mtb then you may have issues with people that roost on your new jumps.

Remember...BOOST don't roost (ok that was stupid, but wtf)

Quote Originally Posted by kauaibullit
    Yes, but the roost protectors are cooler.

Roost is the stuff that motorcycles spit out the back when they throttle up while destroying your new jumps. If you are on a MX bike and someone in front of you throttles fast while destroying your new jump you could get hit with rocks and things that made up your new jump that the person in front of your is destroying. So...if your not riding w/ someone who is "roosting" in front of you destroying your new jump, then you have no issues w/ roost. BUt if you ride a mtb then you may have issues with people that roost on your new jumps.

Remember...BOOST don't roost (ok that was stupid, but wtf)
    That was brilliant.

As for the armor question, get an upper body suit. Dianese makes the best, but it's also uber expensive. The Azonic Z-6 armor is cheaper and quite similar. In fact, you should just buy my brand spankin' new Azonic Z-6 armor and get it even cheaper. I use a med. and it's awesome.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Hey man, if you want protection from flying rocks...get one of those stupid roost things. If you want better protection that has been designed for MTB than go with the jacket. I dig my jacket from Rockgardn but you should try on some and see what fits you best. I can say, however, that the Rockgardn does have removable sleves...big plus on the days you just want shoulder and back protection.

Bottom line? they are all hot, they are all not the most comfortable things to wear but they help a ton when it come to falling down on the hard stuff.

Freerider 4 life

661 Pressure Suit

I have the 661 pressure suit... and i cannot say any bad things about it. I ate it hard off a 10 foot cliff jump a couple days ago... my armor saved me from unmentionable rocks dirt and stumps. Sure i was in pain for a while, however i came out practically unscathed (a couple scratches ont he other arm and a mouth full of dirt). The thing is kinda pricey but well worth it.
    [SIZE=2]You Like To Freeride![/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]You Love it![/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]You Cannot Resist Freeriding![/SIZE]
    [SIZE=5]Your life is meaningless Without Freeriding[/SIZE]!

--my brain at 10 AM every morning--

Chillin the Most

here you go

click here ->ROCKGARDN<- click here

yeah, uh............bikes
    I jacked my ribs for the second time on some dirt jumps monday, so I've also been thinking that some chest protection could be useful. I've been looking at mx stuff, but i'm not fond of the hard plastic.

Anyone have suggestions for the coolest (least likely to give me heat stroke) armor for ribs/chest. I'm not lookin for a lot of padding, just enough for some "light" crashes. I don't like it when it hurts to breath

DOWNHILL MAFIA
    I use the six six one assault short sleeve pressure suit. It's airy and cool, lighweight and offers good coverage. It zips up a bit weird, not up the middle, sort of on the side. I like it and have definitely got my dollar's worth so far.It's usually around 70 -100 bucks.
    Good luck, keep the rubber side down.
    i want to post more but i can't stop riding!

Freerider 4 life

for what your looking for...

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaFish
    I jacked my ribs for the second time on some dirt jumps monday, so I've also been thinking that some chest protection could be useful. I've been looking at mx stuff, but i'm not fond of the hard plastic.

Anyone have suggestions for the coolest (least likely to give me heat stroke) armor for ribs/chest. I'm not lookin for a lot of padding, just enough for some "light" crashes. I don't like it when it hurts to breath
    liek Jsun said, you might be wanting a chest pad more than a full suit like i use. The full suit offers more coverage (aka full arm length... well worth it). I use a full suit... considering it reaches swealtering heats down here (mid 90's easy every summer) its not hard to know that you need a system that will work. I carry around a camel back and im usually set for a full day of riding. It gets hot normally under the full face mask for me instead of my armor... t-shirts or breathable jersies seem to work best for the full suits becuase they offer more heat releif.

anyways... go with what you feel you want. I just feel much safer, and i know i got every pennies worht out of my full pressure suit.
    [SIZE=2]You Like To Freeride![/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]You Love it![/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]You Cannot Resist Freeriding![/SIZE]
    [SIZE=5]Your life is meaningless Without Freeriding[/SIZE]!

--my brain at 10 AM every morning--

mtbr member
    there are three golden rules to crashing. 1- never land head first. 2- never expose your chest/back directly to the impact. 3- try not to extend arms or legs to lessen the impact.
    if both of your shoulders hit (meaning your chest hit square) that was bad form. not trying to judge you but that style of impact means that you need to learn bail manuevers or you will get hurt even with armor/full face. tuck and roll (and learn to identify your favored bail side. i always bail and tuck/roll to the left of my center) and you will survive more often. i crashed HARD last sunday and the one witness said my tuck and roll was textbook. not something to be too proud of but at least im confident in my bail ability.

slaving away in paradise
    Apr 2005
    I was told Joes bail bonds can get you out of trouble too...

Loves His Sunday
    Roost isn't what us MX racers throw up as "we destroy your jumps" roost is what we get pounded with out of every turn, off every jump face, and every time we prepare to make a pass! That's why we wear what we wear. Roost hurts and unless you've you've ever been behind a 450 for a few turns you don't know how much roost can hurt. Just making sure we are clear and that we all know what roost is.

slaving away in paradise
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mxrider489
    Roost isn't what us MX racers throw up as "we destroy your jumps" roost is what we get pounded with out of every turn, off every jump face, and every time we prepare to make a pass! That's why we wear what we wear. Roost hurts and unless you've you've ever been behind a 450 for a few turns you don't know how much roost can hurt. Just making sure we are clear and that we all know what roost is.
    If you've never damaged a mtb jump while "roosting", then I apologize

It's a Turner!
    I hit hard on my right shoulder and head and rolled (but not intentionally), but I wasn't wearing any protection except for my helmet (and thank god for that). But the funny thing is my left shoulder hurts more than my right, even though it didn't get the initial impact. So no I did not land square on my chest - man that hurts just to think about that.

Quote Originally Posted by dream4est
    there are three golden rules to crashing. 1- never land head first. 2- never expose your chest/back directly to the impact. 3- try not to extend arms or legs to lessen the impact.
    if both of your shoulders hit (meaning your chest hit square) that was bad form. not trying to judge you but that style of impact means that you need to learn bail manuevers or you will get hurt even with armor/full face. tuck and roll (and learn to identify your favored bail side. i always bail and tuck/roll to the left of my center) and you will survive more often. i crashed HARD last sunday and the one witness said my tuck and roll was textbook. not something to be too proud of but at least im confident in my bail ability.
    Last edited by sirbikesalot; 07-22-2005 at 08:44 PM.

It's a Turner!
    I'm gonna need an XL.

Quote Originally Posted by BikeMk
    That was brilliant.

As for the armor question, get an upper body suit. Dianese makes the best, but it's also uber expensive. The Azonic Z-6 armor is cheaper and quite similar. In fact, you should just buy my brand spankin' new Azonic Z-6 armor and get it even cheaper. I use a med. and it's awesome.

It's a Turner!
    I'm gonna need an XL unless the sizes run big.

That was brilliant.

Glad to Be Alive
    That was brilliant.

second the Azonic...very well ventilated...and pretty much the same as Dianese but a hella lot cheaper
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

It's a Turner!
    On the Azonic, does it have protection for the shoulder blades as well, not just the spine?

That was brilliant.

Loves His Sunday
    Quote Originally Posted by kauaibullit
    If you've never damaged a mtb jump while "roosting", then I apologize
    I have never damaged an MTB jump on my MX bike. I only ride on MX Practice Tracks, and Race Tracks, and I myself am a MTB rider, and Dirt Jumper and understand perfectly how you feel. It's always a few idiots that give us a bad name. No hard feelings just makin a point.

slaving away in paradise
    Apr 2005
    ^^^One of my friends landed off and into a hole w/ his front wheel. When he
    finally got to a doctor, it turned out he had broken a couple ribs. He didn't
    have enough time to bail and the handle bars impacted into his chest, thus
    breaking a couple ribs. I wear my scorpion upper body suit every time I ride.
    I use the Scorpion suit made by UFO plastics, I could only find it in UK and Canada,
    it's like my old Dianese but more bomber w/ collar bone protection. It's also
    about the same price as Dianese.

There's nothing wrong w/ Dianese but again, no collar bone protection should
    your FF helmet come in contact w/ collar bone, which is what happened on my
    "last" (sic) collar bone break. I think in this the roost protectors would be superior
    to the Dianese. The roost protectors don't have a spinal pad. Well...there's one being
    sold in UK that has an articulatin spinal pad. I forgot what company sells it (I
    remember they sold other roost protectors but not one w/ spine).

Good luck!

T.Dot Represent
    ive got a pressure suit its pretty cool havent ridden in it yet too damn hot!
    [SIZE=5]fiiiiiiiiiiiinchizzzzzzzzzzle[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Wearing protective gear should be a given, learing to fall is good advise. For most it is a natural response to extend ones arms to protect the head and face. Problem w/ arm extension is it can brake the collar bone in an instant. Armor is designed to remove some degree of damage but in order to minimize bodily harm you would have to suit up like the Michilin tire man. The Azonic Z-6 is a good protector. I think every crash is unique but our own style of response is the same. I had a freind suggest I take a few martial arts classes that involve falling moves.

It's a Turner!
    Why is the Dainese more than twice as much as the Azonic? Is it made out of fine silk or have nanofibers controlled by an artificial intelligent neural network or something? Do you get what you pay for in this case?

Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    second the Azonic...very well ventilated...and pretty much the same as Dianese but a hella lot cheaper

mtbr member
    I hit hard on my right shoulder and head and rolled (but not intentionally), but I wasn't wearing any protection except for my helmet (and thank god for that). But the funny thing is my left shoulder hurts more than my right, even though it didn't get the initial impact. So no I did not land square on my chest - man that hurts just to think about that.
    good. sounds like you did well. i wear dianese and after my crash i still had marks everywhere. i say if your gonna wear armor jumping dont screw around with wimpy stuff wear rockgardn or dianese or any full-on gear. those other ones wont help a bit. and find a ff helmet that doesnt impede your vision looking down. you wont see landings well in certain full face designs. thats the main reason i still wear a dj lid at the djs. i will start wearing a ff if i find one that i can see backsides on big steep landings.