"Audaces fortuna iuvat"
    Aug 2004

Azoic Surround Sound Helmet Review

[SIZE="4"]First a few pictures[/SIZE]

[SIZE="4"]Helmet still in packaging[/SIZE]

[SIZE="4"]Inside of helmet with tiny speakers built in close to the ears[/SIZE]

[SIZE="4"]Helmet in the wild - Tamarancho Today. (sorry it's out of focus)[/SIZE]

[SIZE="4"]What the helmet sort of reminds me of !!!
    [/SIZE]

[SIZE="4"]
    Review
    [/SIZE]

I plugged in my ipod and tested the helmet out at home and my first impression was that there was no way this would be loud enough, but that impression changed later while riding. The second thing I noticed was that there is NO BASS whatsoever. NONE.

Set up
    The set up is pretty good. There is a small connection port in the back of the helmet where you plug in your ipod and the helmet comes with about a 3 foot cord. I routed the cord down my back under my jersey and then into my front pocket with plenty of cord to spare.

Sound

Not exagerating here, there just is no bass coming out of the speakers at all. I started my ride and had the volume on the ipod at 100%. I thought even at this level that it would not be loud enough to enjoy but I was wrong. After riding for a while with Guns & Roses blasting I quickly decided this was too loud. I changed to Gypsy Kings and set the volume at about 70%. This was much better. I could still hear my bikes noises and noises around me. Even with wind I could still clearly hear the music. There were some instances where people came at me down the trail and although I did hear them a little it was not as soon as I would have with out the music.

When going down hill with the volume at 70% the music started to fade a little bit but was still audible. This was actually good because going down hill fast it was actually better to have the music fade out a little due to wind noise.

Size and Fit etc
    I wear a size M Giro and this helmet is a L/XL. It only comes in 2 sizes. S/M L/XL. It was a snug but comfortable fit on my head. I've never worn a bucket type helmet before but after a few minutes I couldn't really tell any difference. If anything it was a little more comfortable because I think it has more padding. It was about 70 degrees out and sunny and I didn't notice the helmet being any hotter than my normal lid. It has a lot fewer vents than my helmet but at least at 70 deg. I didn't notice much difference.

Concluson

It's loud enough while still letting you hear sounds around you but the sound quality is fair to poor. The lack of bass really takes a lot away from the enjoyment of your music and it sounds cheap and tinny. The helmet fits my head fine and feels like a quality helmet. I have to take style points away since it makes me look like a death star trooper. Value is pretty good. I bought it for $40 including 2 day UPS shipping.

I give it 3 thumbs up on a scale of 5.

aka baycat
    Try some Rage next time scare everyone off B-17.

Good review, now back to the Millenium Falcon!

Butcher
    Thanks for the HEAD'S UP, Dark Helmet!!

may the schwartz be with you

"Audaces fortuna iuvat"
    Aug 2004

Yea

There is no reason a helmet maker couldn't put speakers in a normal looking helmet !!!

mtbr member
    Post a picture of IMJPS mowing you down when you get a chance.

Thanks

"Audaces fortuna iuvat"
    Aug 2004

Nope

Nope -- I could totally hear if someone was yelling at me !!!

asa
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I bought one for the Boggs 8 hour race and loved it. I wish someone would make a high quality version. I would pay good money for it. Just not having to mess with ear buds and being able to hear what was going on around me was worth running a so-so helmet and tinny speakers. Hey! Giro! You got the snowboard sound system dialed, let's do it in an MTB helmet!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    My Giro rocks, it keeps me safe and is silent so I can enjoy some peace and quiet for once in this overstimulated, ADD, isolationist, out of touch world.

"Audaces fortuna iuvat"
    Aug 2004

Yea

Quote Originally Posted by rxsenduro
    My Giro rocks, it keeps me safe and is silent so I can enjoy some peace and quiet for once in this overstimulated, ADD, isolationist, out of touch world.

I had similar thoughts while testing this thing. I really enjoy the peace and quiet...

asa
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Most of the time I like peace and quiet, especially mountainbiking, but I like my tunes when riding the local paved bike trail.

mtbr member
    having asa pass me many times at both boggs and cool makes me think I need one too.

I like the one with mouse ears better tho.

asa
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Cat Ears. Those were CAT ears I really like the helmet for long, painful races. Sometimes the right song comes on just when you need a boost. And, my helmet is pink.