mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Armor for women?

Hi,

I have started getting into alittle more freeriding and some dh and am looking to get some upper body protection. I want to get something with a solid chest plate but I was concerned that it is all designed for guys and is going to fit really weird. I am about 5'6" and 140 so not real tiny or anything and I am average in the chest department. Is there any women specific armor out there? If not, any other recommendations? Trying different ones on and seeing what fits is not really an option since no one in my area carries anything. They are perfectly happy to order but I will not be able to return it. I figure I might as well mail order since it is cheaper and I can at least send it back if it is way off.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

mtbr member

Would this work?

Saw this pic and remembered this thread.

http://hbci.com/~janscc/images/helgaviking.jpg

What do you think?
    "Walter, the chinaman who peed on my rug, I can't go give him a bill!"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scubaklook
    Hi,

I have started getting into alittle more freeriding and some dh and am looking to get some upper body protection. I want to get something with a solid chest plate but I was concerned that it is all designed for guys and is going to fit really weird. I am about 5'6" and 140 so not real tiny or anything and I am average in the chest department. Is there any women specific armor out there? If not, any other recommendations? Trying different ones on and seeing what fits is not really an option since no one in my area carries anything.
    Where do you live? I know most shops don't carry much armor, but sometimes there's a small shop you didn't know about or even a motorcycle shop that might have something.

Anyway - to answer your question, no there's nothing women's specific that I'm aware of, and I've been racing for several years (and I do live near a DH specific shop). Yeah - the chest plate will fit a little funky, but it's better than not wearing it. I'm using the Azonic Z-5 but they all seem to fit my chest funky so I went w/price and ventilation.

Good luck!

Edit: there are womens specific moto roost deflectors, but I'm assuming you want a body armor jacket (which I would recommend).
    Last edited by connie; 07-26-2005 at 08:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Becky Thatcher
    Saw this pic and remembered this thread.

http://hbci.com/~janscc/images/helgaviking.jpg

What do you think?
    I am worried I might end up poking my eye out in a crash with that one.

Humpmaster general
    Apparently those breasts aren't very tactical.
    your moma's so ugly, one time she looked out of the window and got arrested for mooning

Inrideo est vita

Serious reply

There is a company making protective jackets for women.

Unfortunately they are just at the end of the prototype stage; but that also means they should be taking orders soon.

Check out Danger Girl DH.
    Canadian distribution: X-Fusion Shox, Rand Momentum lube and Canadian Shield fenders.
    TheRide.ca
    Facebook

mtbr member
    Be careful if you google "chest protector". I found plastic bra's.
    Here's the first hit I looked at
    Try this link for a laugh http://www.leonpaul.com/acatalog/Sho...ectors_38.html
    It's for fencing.
    Last edited by CycleMainiac; 07-27-2005 at 08:10 AM.

L1MEY
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleMainiac
    Be careful if you google "chest protector". I found plastic bra's.
    Here's the first hit I looked at
    Try this link for a laugh http://www.leonpaul.com/acatalog/Sho...ectors_38.html
    It's for fencing.
    Haha! I used to fence and it gave all the guys a chuckle every time I put my plastic boobies in my jacket The funny thing is that once you have your plastic inserts in it ends up hurting the guys more because they don't have any protection at all besides the jacket. I used to fight this one guy who was so scared of hurting a woman with a foil that he barely scored any points at all... he went bright red when I rapped my knuckled on my armour and explained he shouldn't worry!

On a more on-topic note, I know this thead is about chest protectors, but for anyone out there buying arm/leg armour, here's a tip: if you are not very chunky, don't buy Rockgardn Airframe. I ordered a set in size Small. They're very light and very comfortable, but the straps and lycra bits with the grips are way too big if you have skinny/non-muscular arms and legs. I need to do some serious alterations to mine as soon as I can figure out how to do it without screwing up the material, though shortening the straps should be easier because it's just elastic and velcro. I think the size small was made for short, wide men

- Jen.
    Last edited by mahgnillig; 07-27-2005 at 08:49 AM.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by mahgnillig
    On a more on-topic note, I know this thead is about chest protectors, but for anyone out there buying arm/leg armour, here's a tip: if you are not very chunky, don't buy Rockgardn Airframe. I ordered a set in size Small. They're very light and very comfortable, but the straps and lycra bits with the grips are way too big if you have skinny/non-muscular arms and legs. I need to do some serious alterations to mine as soon as I can figure out how to do it without screwing up the material, though shortening the straps should be easier because it's just elastic and velcro. I think the size small was made for short, wide men

- Jen.
    You should just be able to take a tuck in the straps or fold them. Then, you can secure it with a box of stitching. Most machines can go through a few layers of elastic. You can email me a pic if you want, free consulting service offered.

formica

here today
    Here is what two of my girls use:

http://www.carouselsaddlery.co.uk/trolleyed/11/

or you might google "barbarella"

mtbr member
    I recently took a trip to the Whistler Mtn. Bike park with my husband and got myself all kitted up with full upper body armor. It took me a while to find something that fit (I am about 5'7" 140) but I ended up getting this:

http://www.sixsixone.com/gear/armor_...resuitSP1.html

in an extra small. The fit was pretty good and there are a TON of velcro straps to customize it to your own size in the arms and waist. I did have to special order it because no one carried the XS in stock, but thankfully, it fit! Have fun!

Likes to Floss
    After heading to the Emergency Room (again) my other half quipped how he wanted to buy me a chest plate (bruised ribs, however, this time, my x-rays showed 3 fractured ribs on the mend that they didn't catch last time I went in...nice huh?). That said, I'll keep an eye out for this thread - there certainly needs to be some market for us chickies, no?

It would also be great for boarding (snow - where I jacked up my left ribs this past winter) as well.

blk
    "Jen, you are too funny. Even though it's kind of like a bad acid
    trip, I like hanging out with you because you're so random."
    -Vegas, March 30, 2005