mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Armor at freeride parks

How much armor do you guys wear? I've never been to any parks before and I am going to two this summer. I am thinking I'll wear shin/knee guards and a Fox Launch suit (along with a full face helmet and gloves). Is a full on pressure suit necessary for places like Snowshoe and Diablo?
    pay me

MTBR Mafia
    its necesary if you go big and neeed it. dont worry about that other people wear just go ride wit whatever you feel you need. but that list sounds ok
    All Mountain was so 2005

There's no app for this.

Whistler and 'shore riders

have a saying..."dress for the crash, not the ride". Take too much armour, you can always shed it if you need to, but since the park experience is new to you, armour up and enjoy.

It's like your seat belt...you simply don't need it...until you're involved in a crash.

Check stunts first if you can't see the transition/landing.

Hope you enjoy the parks, Jim

650 yay area
    At whistler / n*, I wear everything I have. Maybe no chest/arms if its really hot at whistler, always at n*

dont wanna cut a trip short by getting hurt

There's no app for this.

No sh*#

from Mitchell Scott for BIKE magazine....

There are, however, cons to the bike-park deal. Four days into my complete A-Line addiction, I unwittingly entered this dark side of the phenomenon. Landing an air, I lost the grip of my handlebar and stacked hard into rock. The piling put a seven-stitch gash in my elbow, broke my thumb and dislocated my pelvis. During the six hours I spent in the Whistler medical clinic, I was privy to a parade of carnage: bruised liver, slashed wrist, broken shoulder, smashed jaw, a kid with 50 stitches in his face.

As an old phart, I tend to slow down a bit, like you said, injuries tend to severely cramp your ride.

Jim

banned
    I'm trying to catch JimC in the old phart department and I tend to wear all my armor whenever I ride anything that has me going DH racer fast, or FR exposure/drops/highness.

on the other end of the spectrum are the BMX riders who don't think you should even wear gloves or a helmet. don't see too many BMXers still riding Whizzler in their 50s, though.

I'd look at it this way: do you want to spend more time on the bike, and less time recovering from injuries? then wear your armor.

do you want injuries that make you feel tough and hardcore (but keep you off the bike and hold you back in your progression)? skip the armor.

TNC
    noMAD man

I'm a sissy.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzostrike
    I'm trying to catch JimC in the old phart department and I tend to wear all my armor whenever I ride anything that has me going DH racer fast, or FR exposure/drops/highness.

on the other end of the spectrum are the BMX riders who don't think you should even wear gloves or a helmet. don't see too many BMXers still riding Whizzler in their 50s, though.

I'd look at it this way: do you want to spend more time on the bike, and less time recovering from injuries? then wear your armor.

do you want injuries that make you feel tough and hardcore (but keep you off the bike and hold you back in your progression)? skip the armor.
    And I'm 53...LOL! If the place I'm riding has any challenging terrain, I wear my stuff. The ability to get up after a decent crash and pedal away, if my bike is still capable, is worth a lot to me. It also allows you to feel a little more confident to go a little faster or go off that ledge more easily. I haven't had a really decent raspberry, gash, or serious injury in quite some time, but I guarantee, I've been on the ground a good many times. Coming from dirt motorcycles, to me it almost seems unusual to not wear a decent amount of gear. I ride big hit style bikes because they let you do things faster and do it in gnarlier terrain. I feel the protective gear does the same thing. Gear is good.
    Attached Images Attached Images

TNC
    noMAD man

Bwaah! Jim, your avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by JimC.
    from Mitchell Scott for BIKE magazine....

There are, however, cons to the bike-park deal. Four days into my complete A-Line addiction, I unwittingly entered this dark side of the phenomenon. Landing an air, I lost the grip of my handlebar and stacked hard into rock. The piling put a seven-stitch gash in my elbow, broke my thumb and dislocated my pelvis. During the six hours I spent in the Whistler medical clinic, I was privy to a parade of carnage: bruised liver, slashed wrist, broken shoulder, smashed jaw, a kid with 50 stitches in his face.

As an old phart, I tend to slow down a bit, like you said, injuries tend to severely cramp your ride.

Jim
    I just noticed that avatar. Man, that's hilarious. Wish I'd thought of that. Hey, how's the V-Tach action going, and how old is this injury carnage story here?...and are they related?

There's no app for this.

I dunno

the date on that story, sorry. But since I started riding there in '02, I've seen 1 guy die, a personal friend (006_007) break vertebrae on A line drop, and another buddy crack his spine on the 'shore. I'm more cautious as the new bikes really let you rip, and once in trouble, well, there's not a lot you can do.

The Vtach's an awesome bike, I can't fault anything except the "pilot". Wrecked my back 4 weeks ago doing pick and shovel duty at home herniated discs. FAQ, it's painful, hope to be on the bike in 2 weeks.

Jim

banned
    VTach blues. are you ready for this?

yesterday I remove the wheels to install XC tires for the ToM. doing this before I've had my morning yerba mate so I'm still dull mentally. tires changed. rear wheel installed. installing front wheel. tighten axle. tighten axle clamp bolts. using torque wrench. funny ticking sound from fork, keep tightening, click of torque wrench stops me. move to non-brake side of fork. no ticking sound. but no click of torque wrench. perpetual tightening? I look down and the fuggin' axle clamp is mangled well beyond use or reparability.

I roont my 888.

well at least the lowers.

so I'm leaving the VTach at home and bringing the other FS rig, the Six Pack. ho hum.

some nagging voice says I did this unconsciously to keep me from riding the VTach in the ToM. huh? what? maybe... expensive way to do that though.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    And I'm 53...LOL! If the place I'm riding has any challenging terrain, I wear my stuff. The ability to get up after a decent crash and pedal away, if my bike is still capable, is worth a lot to me. It also allows you to feel a little more confident to go a little faster or go off that ledge more easily. I haven't had a really decent raspberry, gash, or serious injury in quite some time, but I guarantee, I've been on the ground a good many times. Coming from dirt motorcycles, to me it almost seems unusual to not wear a decent amount of gear. I ride big hit style bikes because they let you do things faster and do it in gnarlier terrain. I feel the protective gear does the same thing. Gear is good.
    sounds very familiar.

does that wash you're riding in the picture ever get water running in it? it looks like it was carved by a stream long ago...

anyway looks like a fun place to ride.

TNC
    noMAD man

This spring...

Quote Originally Posted by gonzostrike
    sounds very familiar.

does that wash you're riding in the picture ever get water running in it? it looks like it was carved by a stream long ago...

anyway looks like a fun place to ride.
    Water was running about a foot in that spot, and it's run deeper other times. Yeah, LOL, I imagine there's been water running it for a year or two. This place is full of such places. It's an awesome place to ride. It's a private ranch that our dirt motorcycle club gets to ride on for free since '79...the owner and son are off road junkies. Our camp area even has electricity and water. We pay our club dues of $50 a year and have over 80 miles of great, gnarly trail. We put a state sanctioned enduro (motorcycle) race on here once a year, and ours is recognized as having the gnarliest terrain. I've been in a lot of great places for mountainbiking, and next to Moab, this is my favorite place.

There's no app for this.

Test of Metal

is 67 km, 42 miles of grunting. On a VTach, it'd be a SOB at best. I rode it in 99, came in DFL 6:46, tired but alive, on a '96 LTS of maybe 30lb or so. So the 6 pack should be better, G-S.

Looking forward to seeing you soon, Jim

TNC
    noMAD man

Pick & shovel???!!!

the date on that story, sorry. But since I started riding there in '02, I've seen 1 guy die, a personal friend (006_007) break vertebrae on A line drop, and another buddy crack his spine on the 'shore. I'm more cautious as the new bikes really let you rip, and once in trouble, well, there's not a lot you can do.

The Vtach's an awesome bike, I can't fault anything except the "pilot". Wrecked my back 4 weeks ago doing pick and shovel duty at home herniated discs. FAQ, it's painful, hope to be on the bike in 2 weeks.

Jim
    Jim, Jim...we're too old for that kind of cr@p! I'm mean, yeah, riding a V-Tach or a Bullit is one thing, but c'mon...that heavy manual labor is for the younger guys...LOL! Get well, man, and take care of yourself.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Helicoil it!
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    thanks for the advice, I think I will wear full armor (but not armored shorts). Now I have to decide between the 661 Assault, Fox Launch, and the 05 661 Pressure suit. Any advice? The fox and 661 pressure suit have forearm and elbow protectors, the Assault doesn't (i'd buy some along with the Assault).
    pay me

There's no app for this.

sorry....

I'm using Dainese Safety jacket about 2+ years old, and a ton of new stuff is out now, I have no clue what you might get the best use from. FWIW none of my fellow riders use armoured shorts. Jim

banned
    MD Bullit, I have an '03 RockGardn FlakJacket that I like pretty well. It had a few improvements for '04 and even more still for '05. If you aren't popping for a Dainese, I think the RockGardn is next best.

I found the RockGardn to be odd in its sizing though, I am usually just a wee bit too big for Medium in T-shirts and jerseys and on the FlakJacket there isn't enough adjustment of the 4 velcro adjuster straps to accommodate me. And then the thing doesn't cover all my ribs from top to bottom, it's a bit too short. weird, but way better than nothing and it is really comfortable too despite the extra strap length hanging off the velcro patches.

banned
    is 67 km, 42 miles of grunting. On a VTach, it'd be a SOB at best. I rode it in 99, came in DFL 6:46, tired but alive, on a '96 LTS of maybe 30lb or so. So the 6 pack should be better, G-S.

Looking forward to seeing you soon, Jim

thanks for the first-hand, Jim. I did 2 rides yesterday on the 6-Pack w/ XC tires & tubes and it should be fine, not EASY but fine. and definitely easier than the VTach. what was I thinking?