mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Appropriate Amount of Protection

hello folks. Getting back into riding after 10 year layoff and getting older into 40s. in good cardio shape from other activities and generally aggressive w/ sports. will be somewhere between novice and intermeditate level for a while and plan to progress. riding mostly single track with some DH. decided to bite the bullet and risk looking like a good ball with a FF helmet at my level as know i have plenty of falls ahead. here's the question - what other pro should be considered if i want to err on side of caution and is there a way to get there without looking like a storm trooper. concerned about safety but don't want to look like a total poser either. and then there's the heat factor. is there an informal ranking of injury prone areas - ie are knees higher on the list than shins, does a jacket make sense or total overkill, etc. Any veteran guidance appreciated and thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by GoVols View Post
    hello folks. Getting back into riding after 10 year layoff and getting older into 40s. in good cardio shape from other activities and generally aggressive w/ sports. will be somewhere between novice and intermeditate level for a while and plan to progress. riding mostly single track with some DH. decided to bite the bullet and risk looking like a good ball with a FF helmet at my level as know i have plenty of falls ahead. here's the question - what other pro should be considered if i want to err on side of caution and is there a way to get there without looking like a storm trooper. concerned about safety but don't want to look like a total poser either. and then there's the heat factor. is there an informal ranking of injury prone areas - ie are knees higher on the list than shins, does a jacket make sense or total overkill, etc. Any veteran guidance appreciated and thanks in advance.
    The hazards have not changed much in 10 years, what did you wear last time?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    The "poser problem" is the real problem. If the doctor will let me back on a bike, I'm going to wear all elbow, knee and shin guards even on fire roads. I'm going to go with G-form because it looks least imposing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueliner View Post
    The hazards have not changed much in 10 years, what did you wear last time?
    Youre right but I have. Didn't have old bones then and kids that need me among other things. Didn't even consider a FF helmet back then and rode more FT and less ST and DH back then. So LM rephrase and drop the insecurity about caring about looking like a goofball and worry more about weight and heat load. What's max protection for the tradeoff. Where's the sweetspot. Thx

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I've a big chickensh!t when it comes to some of the exposed sections here, my standard gear includes a good waterpack (back protection since it has a good 1/4" hard foam, waterfilled bag), knee guards, and at times elbow guards. My only concern now may be hip protectors as falling off a bridge is a real possiblity.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I think it really depends on the terrain you're riding. I wore no protective equipment at all but an XC helmet for ages, riding exclusively on smooth twisty wooded single track in Illinois. I then moved to Texas and found some rocky technical trails at which point I started wearing knee pads, they definitely saved me a few times. I've now moved back to Illinois and the twisty smooth wooded single track but have stuck with the knee pads just because I've come to appreciate the added security even if they do make me look like a tool and add heat and weight.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I could careless what others think. I wear pads all the time or at the very least a shin guard/knee guard like the poc extended knee and a wrist guard. I ride flats. The poc gets a little hot but nothing you'll notice while riding. I like the vpd conforming foam. At 40 something, I can't afford to break a bone.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Appropriate Amount of Protection

I wear shorts and a jersey all the time. That may change with my next good crash. Havent have a good crash in years so I am just buying time I guess

mtbr member
    To me, the difference between risks now vs 10 years ago is: 1: chit hurts more than it did when I was 10 years younger, and 2: I have more responsibilities now then I did then. I've had this conversation with kids at the trailhead who gave me a hard time about wearing protection: when you're in high school, getting injured is a vacation, when you're my age it costs you money and the stuff you need to do but can't because of the injury doesn't go away.

I wear a Poc VPD jacket when it's cool enough that I can stand it, which is basically all but the height of summer. For me it's less about protecting the most injury-prone areas (which I'd guess are the wrists), and more about protecting the stuff that's likely to be the most severe if it does (spine, chest). I'm considering getting one of Poc's vests for the warmer times.

That said, I doubt I'll ever be able to climb wearing a full face, so that's kind of my limit.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    You guys jinxed me! All this discussion about no being as young, responsibilities, blah, blah blah. So, I decided to go for a nice relaxing road bike ride on a beautiful Father's Day morning after reading this thread prior to my ride. As luck/fate would have it, I crashed and came away with a separated shoulder and major road rash along my left side. Thanks guys.

On a serious note, would have loved some added protection from the asphalt today. Very thankful for my helmet, which I can still hear the hit as I rolled/skidded across the pavement. A nice pattern of the gravel is indented into the plastic. Sticking with mtb after recovery - it's safer!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    For the OP: Following along the same thoughts that Joules provided, not only are not as young as we once were (and I've got a few years on you), but getting back into it, you are likely to find that people are doing a lot more with their bikes than they used to 10 years ago (or at least more than I ever did). Bikes are burlier with more travel. It's enticing to see what you can do! If you know you will take a few tumbles, I would go with some knee and elbow pads in addition to a good helmet (FF not necessary) and gloves for singletrack. Be conscious of your capabilities as you get back into it and let your confidence and capabilities build back up.