Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Anyone Try the Fox Striker Helmet or Giro Xar

Want to get a new helmet that is XC/All mountain-ish - light but does not look like a roadie idiotard helmet. Like that new Striker and Xar. Any recommendations?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I've used a Giro xen for years and liked it. Mainly because it was the only helmet that fit my noggin comfortably. I'm in the market for a new one now too. The 661 recon, Uvex xp 100, and Kali Amara/Avita look pretty similiar.

mtbr member
    I don't know your definition of "roadie idiotard," but the spesh s-works mtn helmet might be another to consider. Its 100g+ lighter than the Xar in size large.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    All good suggestions. Also, it is interesting that these helmets do seem heavy coming in at the low 300g range compared to that Spec helmet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I picked up a Xar a couple weeks ago and love it.

usually cranky
    both are nice helmet. choose the one that makes your head and wallet happiest.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I have used the Fox Striker helmet for about three rides so far. Comfortable, lighter than the Flux, better retention system than the Flux.

Fox Flux on your left, Striker in the middle, Uvex xp100 on your right.

Flux = 360 gm., Striker =300 gm., xp 100 = 230 gm.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    pedsdoc,

How do you find the ventilation between the flux and the striker? Also what is the main improvement in the retention system?

usually cranky
    the uvex is crazy light. was my #1 pick but i got a flux for such a deal i couldnt pass it up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks for posting those pics. Your helmet fetish has been very helpful.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    How do the Uvex helmets compare to the Foxes?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by madstace View Post
    pedsdoc,

How do you find the ventilation between the flux and the striker? Also what is the main improvement in the retention system?

I think the "honeycomb" pattern on the rear of the Striker makes air flow better than Flux. Less sweat on the helmet straps, the Halo headband that I usually use is also less soaked with moisture and sweat. On all my Flux helmets, the adjustment part gets stuck on one side or both. The Striker doesn't do this so far.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by newnan3 View Post
    How do the Uvex helmets compare to the Foxes?
    The Uvex xp100 is way lighter than any of the Foxes. It is easier to adjust the fit of the helmet with a Uvex compared to the Fox. They are all great helmets, I still have a Giro E2 and still use it. Try them all if possible.

mtbr member
    I have the XAR and i like it a lot, it runs larger than i thought though ?? I am usually a large and i ordered one before trying one on. I tried one afterwards in a store in med and it fit great! lol

Still good though, good ventilation and doesn't move much when ratcheted down. the visor moves which is kind of cool as well.

Hanzo
    Man I could use a chicken taco from California Tortilla right about now!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Is there much difference in the back of the head coverage between the 3 helmets?

It looks like the 2 Fox helmets are about the same......

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The striker really light and more comfortable. I even use the striker on my cyclocross ride

Dirt Deviant
    I'm not gonna be much help deciding between the Striker or Xar, but I can share my experience regarding helmet weight.
    I was running the Bell Variant for over a year. It's claimed to weigh 320g
    About 6 months ago I picked up a Bell Volt, claimed 280g
    The weight difference was amazing.....but we're only talking 40 grams here.
    I couldn't believe how much lighter the Volt felt on my head, and I had less neck soreness after a long ride.
    I also found myself not hanging my head low towards the end of a long ride when I was starting to feel fatigued.
    Going from my Volt to my Giro Remedy for the shuttle days is making me feel like a softie.......= )
    The Remedy weighs like 1050g!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

DGB
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I can't comment on the Striker but I can compare the Giro Xar and the Xen.
    Having come from a medium Giro Hex which fitted perfectly, I purchased a medium Xen. Even though it fits me, it seems to catch me a bit awkwardly at the back of the head and it can be uncomfortable at times. I didn't get a chance to try the helmet out before I bought it (nothing local) so it was a bit of a gamble.

I've tried a medium Xar and the fit, on my head anyway, is a lot better than the Xen with no uncomfortable spots - perfect! It's a lot less bulky than the Xen and the vents are more open.
    Both the Xen and the Xar are slightly heavier than the Hex and I've just purchased a new Hex as it's lighter, has the same Roc Loc 5 adjustment as the Xar but is cheaper and fits as well.

My advice, as this is a very personal thing much like saddles, is to try on as many brands/models as you can and go with the one that fits you best.

mtbr member
    I have the Xar. I can only compare it to the Fox Flux.
    It's lighter, better ventilated, more comfortable, has better retention system and is also a more expensive.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I love the fox brand, but the thing that is nice about the XAR and Giro is that they acutally make different shell molds for every size. Fox just has the S/M L/XL which will sometimes give you a large shell size and then use a fit system to tighten to your head. The helmet looks huge on your head.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    FYI

I just received a Large/XL Fox Striker. It fits well but just barely. I am 24-1/4" and I maxed out the adjustments. I bought this helmet primilarly for the extra lower back of head coverage.

I would rate this helmet as OK , but nothing special about the materials or design.

p.s. This particular helmet weighs 332g
    Last edited by RockyMt; 06-10-2011 at 07:04 PM.

mtbr member
    My first real MTB helmet was a Flux. No complaints but it did take a little getting used to the weight. THen bought a Striker. Loved the weight difference. Fit and ventilation were improved over Flux. The rear coverage is a little less and likely why it weighs less than the Flux. Had a recent crash and need to retire the Striker. I picked up a Uvex XP100 and it is very light. Hardly feels like it is on my head. Great fit and adjustments too. Overall the rear coverage is less than Flux and Striker. Still on the Injured Reserve so i have not trail tested it yet.

BTW i just ordered an Azonic Exile helmet too. have not seen it in person, but it looks sharp and is very light. will keep either it or the xp100.
    Last edited by goodoljake; 07-31-2011 at 10:28 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I love my Xar

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by goodoljake View Post
    My first real MTB helmet was a Flux. No complaints but it did take a little getting used to the weight. THen bought a Striker. Loved the weight difference. Fit and ventilation were improved over Flux. The rear coverage is a little less and likely why it weighs less than the Flux. Had a recent crash and need to retire the Striker. I picked up a Uvex XP100 and it is very light. Hardly feels like it is on my head. Great fit and adjustments too. Overall the rear coverage is less than Flux and Striker. Still on the Injured Reserve so i have not trail tested it yet.

BTW i just ordered an Azonic Exile helmet too. have not seen it in person, but it looks sharp and is very light. will keep either it or the xp100.

Any particular reason you didnt buy another Striker?

mtbr member
    Newnan- i am not unhappy with the striker, but i bought it expecting the same deep coverage as the flux, but with a lighter shell and that is not the case. i also sweat a lot and the striker does not run off the sides, but straight down in front. make no mistake though, i was not unhappy with it, but since it was not exactly what i hoped for i figured i could do a little shopping for something even lighter since i was sacrificing some coverage.

all that said, of the Uvex xp100 and Azonic Exile since they are both very light i will likely keep the on with the most rear coverage and best feel. hopefully the one i pick will divert sweat better than the striker too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast