mtbr member
    Apr 2010

anyone tried the poc cortex fullface helmet?

looking at new fullface helmets and this one looks good, any one with any advice on it?
    thanks..

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Depends on which model you're looking at. I own the Cortex Flow and love it. It's super light, very comfortable and breathes well. If I'm planning on some AM riding with light freeride, I'll usually just throw it on all day instead of carrying it and wearing my trail helmet. I'll note that although I have used it for lift access freeride and DH, if you plan on charging all day, definitely look at the DH version of the helmet. The Flow is more for intense AM and light freeride, definitely not for full DH duty.

74 & 29 pilot
    I took a jump wrong that had a booter on top, got bucked at speed and went flying like a lawn dart landing on my shoulder and head. The cortex flow kept my head well protected; My collar bone broke though. This was at Angel Fire; That helmet is more than capable for DH of any kind. It's very well vented and can take multiple impacts.
    Last edited by MTB Pilot; 11-25-2012 at 07:14 AM.
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Both helmets pass the same safety standards, but the DH version does have MIPS and is reinforced with more Kevlar. So yeah the DH is better in terms of safety. And I'll let you know how the reg flow fits when mine shows up this week..

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB Pilot View Post
    I took a jump wrong that had a booter on top, got bucked at speed and went flying like a lawn dart landing on my shoulder and head. The cortex flow kept my head well protected; My collar bone broke though. This was at Angel Fire; That helmet is more than capable for DH of any kind. It's very well vented and can take multiple impacts.
    As I've taken two hard impacts with mine without serious head injury either time (lift access DH both times, one was into a tree head first), I'm absolutely in agreement. But if OP is going to be using it exclusively for big mountain DH, I would still suggest taking a look at the burlier model. That being said, I ride 50% AM, 25% freeride and 25% DH and it's perfect.

I meant to add this before - mine fits true to size. Measure around your noggin and choose the size POC suggests.