Competent User

Anyone riding 2012 Royal Matrix shorts? How's the fit?

I'm looking for one more pair of shorts for the season, and like a lot of the Royal gear I have, but can't try anything on around here. The 2012 Matrix short is supposed to be 32-34 for medium or 34-36 for large. I'm a 34, and am constantly stuck between. Anyone have experience with these? Do they run big or small?

There's a dude in an Amazon review who says he's 6'5", 200 lbs and the large fits perfect, which doesn't seem to make any sense. I'm 5'10", 190, so I don't want giant shorts.

Anyone have experience?

Name:  41joFeIVLuL._SX342_.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  15.5 KB

carbon classic
    Jul 2011
    I've got a pair of the 2013 Matrix short (pictured above). I'm 6" tall, weigh around 90kgs (approx. 198 lbs) and have these shorts in size Large and they fit well. Definitely not too loose; if anything, they are a bit on the tight side.

For comparison, I wear size 34 (medium) in FOX Ranger shorts and have a pair of Endura Singletrack II shorts that are size XL. All of these shorts fit me!

It would be great if there was some genuine standardized sizing between all the different manufacturers.

Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I've got 2012 Matrix shorts. I'm also 6'' tall, and weight approx 80kgs (176lbs). My shorts are size medium and they fit just right for me. Usually I wear jeans etc. size 32-33. So I recommend you to take size Large.

Competent User
    I went with the large, and got them yesterday. Waist wise, the large fits well. The liners are a little big, but doable. They are quite long, but not so much that they'll get hooked on my knee, and they're not too baggy to get hooked on the saddle.

Thanks for all the input folks!

MAN UTD
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Quint View Post
    I went with the large, and got them yesterday. Waist wise, the large fits well. The liners are a little big, but doable. They are quite long, but not so much that they'll get hooked on my knee, and they're not too baggy to get hooked on the saddle.

Thanks for all the input folks!
    hi Onanysunday.how do you compare royal's matrix to endura's singletrack 2.which do you think is better.
    ventilation,lenght,material softness etc.

carbon classic
    Jul 2011
    Hi Beniamin,

The Matrix shorts are definitely a lighter material and softer feel than the Endura Singletrack II's. The length of the two shorts are similar and the Singletracks have two ventilation zippers down the front of each leg for warmer rides. (they look like pocket zippers, but are actually for ventilation)

As to which I prefer, well I actually ride with the Singletracks more often. I personally like the heavier material they are made with. Interestingly, I do wear the Matrix shorts more as a casual light weight pair of shorts when not on the bike (just remove the liner).

I would also agree with Mr Quints comment that the liner in the Matrix shorts is a little big but doable. For riding, I usually wear another liner I have that is more closer fitting.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I just bought a pair of the latest 2013 matrix shorts in blue. I'm 175cm/34inch waist/74kgs.

I bought the M size, and the waist fits perfect.

I used to be a 32, so bought M size, and when they arrived, I thought they were a bit small for a quoted 32-34 size...turns out my waist has grown over the last few years lol.

I wondered if I should have got an L, but then the inner liner would have been huge... as the M liner is pretty spacious.

I will give another review as to how they perform later on, but so far, look and fit are spot on. If anything, the open pockets are a bit tight, but that's a good thing if you don't want things to fly around/fall out.