Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Anyone ride with a fanny pack?

My hydration pack really causes tension in my (already screwed up) neck and back muscles. A hydration fanny pack could release my shoulders from all that pressure, and also keep the weight lower, which should have some balance benefits. What do you think?

mtbr member
    Never used a fanny pack... but I know what you are talking about. I have had an Osprey Manta30 for a few years. I use it for hiking and some biking, but on a bike (supposed to be designed for) it is a literal pain.

I went with a very small hydro pack... absolute minimal style by Dakine for mtb-ing.

If I am biking around w/o a laptop, I use a Maxpedition Jumbo Veripack. Do not buy the EDC or LEO models as the main compartment doesn't fully close. The plain-jane, cheap model has a full closing main compartment.
    - The only thing that keeps me on a bike is happiness.

mtbr member
    I'm using an Osprey Manta 24. I've had some problems with my neck (disks etc), and it seems that mountain biking makes it worse, and mountain biking with a pack on my shoulders is worse still.
    I don't like Veripack idea. The assymetry of a single strap doesn't sound healthy or comfortable.
    A hydration sytle fanny pack might work, but I'm not sure it would stay out of the way of the seat, and I don't know how much stuff I could carry with one. It might need to be supplemented with frame mounted water bottle and bag.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    That is a bummer. My suggestion is to go to the water bottle and cage. I went for a shorter ride the other day and used the water bottle cage set up instead of my camelback - it was liberating.

lamer
    Maybe you might be interested in the Showers Pass VelEau system

Introducing VelEau | Showers Pass

I have it on one of my road bikes, and I find it pretty convenient. The one downside is that the storage compartment is a bit small. I can only fit a multi-tool, road tube, 2 tire levers, and a small rear light in there. I thought about transferring it over to my mtb, but I like to get off the back of the seat and it sits really snug on the seat, as you can see from the picture.

mtbr member
    That's a good idea, but the interference with sliding back off the seat is probably a deal breaker.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I use a camelbak flashflo (older model) fanny pack for XC skiing and short rides. Small pocket and it bounces more than my mule.

urmb
    "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So...get on your way."
    Dr. Seuss

mtbr member
    have you tried a wingnut backpack?...that might help:

Wingnut Gear - Whistle Buckle ? Always there, always handy.
    We Can't Stop Here...This Is Bat Country.
    Out Of Step.

mtbr member
    Actually I haven't found it to be an issue at all. First, with a bag that small, unless you are carrying around lead, it is hard to make it heavy. Second, there is a small stabilizing strap to keep it in place when moving about. Third, if you really need it and have the right pants on, there is a very small strap that you can put through a belt loop which really keeps it in place.

BUT... if you are only looking for a hydration option, it isn't any better than an extra water bottle cage.

Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    I'm using an Osprey Manta 24. I've had some problems with my neck (disks etc), and it seems that mountain biking makes it worse, and mountain biking with a pack on my shoulders is worse still.
    I don't like Veripack idea. The assymetry of a single strap doesn't sound healthy or comfortable.
    A hydration sytle fanny pack might work, but I'm not sure it would stay out of the way of the seat, and I don't know how much stuff I could carry with one. It might need to be supplemented with frame mounted water bottle and bag.

mtbr member
    Crazy idea, trying to think different:

Jandd handbar bag + a small water bladder. ??? It's an option.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OmaHaq View Post
    Crazy idea, trying to think different:

Jandd handbar bag + a small water bladder. ??? It's an option.
    Or a Jandd frame bag..

bikepacking.net > Trip Reports > 3 days in the San Diego Backcountry

Trail Prospector
    Mountainsmith is still rocking it old school.

Mountainsmith Tour TLS

Before hydro packs this was IT.
    Got a retro-grouch buddy that's using one with a 2 liter bladder.
    Hope this helps to get you out there.
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyin_W View Post
    Mountainsmith is still rocking it old school.

Mountainsmith Tour TLS

Before hydro packs this was IT.
    Got a retro-grouch buddy that's using one with a 2 liter bladder.
    Hope this helps to get you out there.
    Now that's a nice fanny pack!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I've been using the Mountainsmith Tour for the past couple of years. Super comfortable, top notch quality. Carries everything I need. Highly, Highly Recommended !!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    The Mountainsmith's are lumbar packs, heellloooo! I ride with the day pack or the Cairn II, larger versions than the tour, although I have a tour as well. The pic above seems like a newer version of the day and not the tour in my opinion. Anyway, I love'em and have used them for years and also know others who have had them for almost a decade if not more in one case. The newer versions are reflective and also made from recycled plastic bottles. I would suggest getting the strapettes to improve the fit, they are helpful if you have a full water bladder. I have no problems with it hanging too low over the rear.
    No fuss with the MUSS

mtbr member
    Look at the new camelbaks.
    They have the bladder in the hip belt.
    Pretty clever...

Off the saddle
    I'm a big fan of Camebak's "LR" models. I have the new Volt and the older Octane LR. The reservoir sits on your lumbar area taking the weight off your shoulders. No problems so far.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    +1 on the octane, its like it isn't even there and has enough storage.
    2012 STUMPJUMPER COMP 29ER HT
    1998 KLEIN QUANTUM RACE

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdemm View Post
    I've been using the Mountainsmith Tour for the past couple of years. Super comfortable, top notch quality. Carries everything I need. Highly, Highly Recommended !!!
    Do you put a bladder in it? If so, what holds it in place?

I'm also wondering if anyone makes a horizontal type bladder that would work better for a LUMBAR pack. (I mean with the tube exit at the low point when laying horizontally).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Znarf View Post
    Look at the new camelbaks.
    They have the bladder in the hip belt.
    Pretty clever...
    Interesting, but not a fanny pack.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone ride with a fanny pack?-1247_brick_dove_l.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I ride with a small old Sierra Designs 'fanny pack', it's round and pretty small. I ride with it in front, and it doesn't bounce around or get in the way at all, maybe I'm just used to it, but I seriously forget it's there. I think I bought it in about '93, it is getting old.
    I am aware that fanny packs are extremely out of fashion, but it is so functional that I keep using it. I just keep keys, phone, id and a small tool or two in it. Raced with it to four c2 podiums so far this year. I hate riding with backpacks, the sweat/overheating and bounce drive me nuts. I had an original camelback, but the narrow straps made my hands fall asleep, I have a newer one that is ok, but my back gets too warm in warmer weather. I converted it to a Hero cam mount, -good for chasing/filming my kids.

mtbr member
    Here is the new lumbar reservoir from Camelback, which looks like a good way to add water to any lumbar pack like the Mountainsmith. 70 and 100 oz versions.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Trailhead Poseur
    Maybe it's not a fanny pack per se, but I have one of those water bottle waist belts for running. Not this exact one, but it's similar. Maybe I'll try it for my shorter after-work rides, instead of carrying the Camelbak. I don't want a water bottle on the frame because everything your front wheel rolls through ends up all over the bottle, and I share my trails with horses...

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    As far as a specific bladder for horizontal use, I bet you can pretty easily purge all the air out of any bladder you have.

I think a fanny pack is a great idea.

mtbr member
    I had a Dana Design back in the day, very similar to the MtSmith, but not quite as nice. It worked just OK. Bounced and flopped too much for my trails. It needs compression straps going in every direction, to stabilize the weight of a bladder, etc. Also have to cinch it down uncomfortably tight, when it's weighted. It was only used for a few rides, before I gave up, and went back to the pack.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast